Rhythm guitar

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by ottocat, Oct 4, 2011.

1. nattaruk

nattaruk Tele-Meister

I remember reading an interview (back in the 70s) with Zappa where he confessed to much the same problem...

2. daniel89

daniel89 Tele-Meister

start small....learn some Dylan/Elvis/early Beatles or something. Don't sing along just yet. Get that stuff down, then move on. The boom-chick style your talking about I'm assuming (due to what your stated you play and stuff) is a western swing type comping style. that is hard stuff to learn. First get some jazz standards like come fly with me/ive got you under my skin... you know, the Basie stuff. Learn the Freddie Green style. Get this book: http://www.amazon.com/Swing-Big-Band-Guitar-Four/dp/0793573815 . Study the **** out of it.....if you can master that style you'll be a rhythm machine. The western swing, fiddle accompaniment style like Ranger Doug will come naturally afterwards.

3. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

What helped me was playing very slowly with a metronome until I really started grooving. Good idea to have the metronome click only on "ONE" or only on "TWO" and "FOUR".

4. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Well a week would be a good start, but 6 weeks would be better and (as suggested) a year if you want to make it a strength...

Questions:
    Do you tap your foot?
    How hard and how consistently?
    Are you practicing on an acoustic an electric or both?
    Are you practicing rhythm guitar or practicing song performance?

I'd say get the metronome out, beat your foot on the floor, bang away on the acoustic and play some songs that have a good driving strum all the way through. A couple of breaks here and there so you can get used to coming back on time.
    Record it and listen to it.

5. DirtyMacSpecial

DirtyMacSpecial Tele-Meister

Agree with T.Biggs, metronome, tap that foot, and find some mainly rhythm songs with a couple good breaks to work on jumping back into the rhythm, should get your rhythm playing in step pretty quick

6. ottocat

ottocat Tele-Meister

Tap your foot , I don't know if I do. I think I kind of sway back and forth side to side .
    I remember being a kid and having a hard time tapping my foot...too much other stuff to think about.....Especially singing a melody playing rhythm and putting in lead fills in a 3 piece . Hendrix and Johnny Winter are genius . When I have a tune down I don't think at all ,the tune flows through me expressing it self ...then I know it comes from my Soul.
    This all started from....Trying to make a chord solo out of "This Old Man" totally by ear. I was having a hard time harmonizing the melody .
    Jamming with my buddy (great player ) We figured out the very most basic harmony.
    G D and A . I had a hard time just playing a solid rhythm , that wasn't the rhythm of the melody . Of course being my ( brother and ) best friend he pointed it out ,my weakness . He said ," It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing".
    So tap your foot , listen to the metronome , listen to Freddy Greene , figure out some Count Basie , listen to and play Johnny Cash and Bob Marley . Also Bob Wills.
    AND WORK ON NOT BEING CONVOLUTED ... Look up denotative definition of convoluted . I'm on it like a pitbull on a five year old .
    Thank You for the suggestions
    Otto Moe Faux
    The new band is called Willy and the Moe Fauxs

7. ottocat

ottocat Tele-Meister

Convoluted "an explanation that left the listener more confused than they were to begin with ".
    Thank You for the lesson Klasaine ....you are a teacher in the most noble sense
    Yes I can be and am . Sometimes I play that way .
    Blue Yodel No. 5 by Jimmy Rodgers is my current favorite tune
    All this stuff is interelated

8. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Persia is now called Iran.

Just sayin'...

9. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

......or just get married.

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

ottocat, start simply...and a metronome will help. Take a chord...1st position E would be a good one. Pick the root and then strum the chord. Start in 4/4 time. Pick on 1, strum on 2...on and on. When you can keep that going, change it up. PIck the root on 1, strum the chord on the 'and' of 1, pick an alternate bass note...the 5th interval of the chord...on the 2nd beat, strum on the and of 2...repeat on and on.
    Now, add a second strum...
    Pick the root on 1, strum the chord on the the 'and-uh'---two strokes, pick the alternate bass----the 5th interval B on the 5th string on the 2nd beat followed by strums on the 'and and uh'....repeat this. When you get this down, you will be playing the sound of that train going down the track on 'Folsom Prison Blues'.
    You mention Robert Johnson. Johnson might not be the best place to try to learn to play 'straight' rhythm because he played alone som much and was 'unschooled'--informal---and often changed meter. There might be 4 beats in one measure and 5 in the next....or 5 and 1/2!!
    Marley.....Hit a chord on the 2 and the 4 of the measure. Damp the chord quickly with your fretting hand. That is a basic beginning...very simple to get that feel....hopefully. The bass moves within the song much more than does the rhythm guitar in most reggae music, ime.

Your training is worlds beyond mine, but I hope this along with the good advice above helps you get on track with rhythm.

11. ottocat

ottocat Tele-Meister

The Persian Empire extended to the Turkish Peninsula , including Iraq , Iran , Afghanistan and a couple other Stans , In the later stages into Greece and further........ I stand corrected .

12. ottocat

ottocat Tele-Meister

Been married 27 years and yes you are right absolutely . With children ;6 year old tells you ,"Dad you really suck on that one,"

13. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well no, you were right about that. Turkey was a part of 'Persia' during the Achaemenid Empire period (around 500 to 300 BC).

Playing along with classic Dylan (bob, not thomas) is a great suggestion. Stones too!

14. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Give it a shot, really thump it out. It'll be ugly at first, but what you need to do is internalize the metronome, and the foot helps. Like anything practicing the foot will make it better.
    Classic Bluegrass, old Acoustic Dylan, Tom Petty, Mumford and Sons, Johnny Cash! Bobby Fuller!

and take your meds. :)

15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Waltz time....pick strum strum, pick strum strum.....

G chord......walk to...C......................
    ---3--3---------------0--0------------
    ---0--0---------------1--1---------------
    ---0--0---------------0--0---------------
    ---0--0---------------2--2---------------
    ---2--2-----0--2---3----------------------
    -3-------3-------------------------------

BAsics, basics....and music is the best medicine....

16. ottocat

ottocat Tele-Meister

The Bob not Thomas Dylan made me laugh. I was always going to learn Subterranean homesick blues , there was another one I think 115th dream . I should do some Stones.
    Reading Keef's autobiography at the moment .
    Terry of the constructive criticism part is a big Keef fan . The tele part on honkey tonk always killed me .Terry always plays that part NFN , kills me every time . Mick vox are easy for me . That one,one hit to the body got me too .And if I stab a knife right through my heart .Only R-n-R
    Wasn't the poet's name Dylan Thomas not Thomas Dylan ?
    Joe Pedantic

17. klasaine

Yes, Dylan Thomas ... and I do believe that's where Robert Zimmerman got the 'dylan' from(?).

18. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Good Looking Boy by the Who came up on my iPod on my drive home. It made me think of this thread. For Rock, Townsend is supreme. That song in particular has some really beautiful guitar on it.

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

19. ottocat

ottocat Tele-Meister

Forgot the Zimmerman part you are correct.
    Thanks for the on line metronome .
    Wally good explanation , working on it
    Like the Caged deal , I never bothered to master it.
    Over looking the obvious is another character flaw I have .
    Going back to the Basics and mastering them is-a-good-thing
    I used to be in a band called THE Attention Deficit Disorder
    Played a bunch of different styles , No bagpipe tunes though
    I want to make a rock band have the sound and Power of the Pipes
    I was playing in a bar once in Edmonds Washington doing a Led Zepplin tune
    A group of 3 dudes In Tartan kicked the door open , 2 Pipers and a bass drum
    Playing full throttle marched around the dance floor basically drowning us and my Ampeg V4 out . We just stopped and let them finish .I said OK now that the Scots are here let's party . Had a blast . Great gig
    I can never forget the PURE power of that sound .
    No wonder the Scottish Warriors were nuts

20. klasaine

I played in a Celtic rock band (Stand Easy) for about 4 years.
    2 highland pipers and two electric guitars (bass and drums).
    Definitely one of THE loudest affairs I've ever been involved with.

*It also helped my 6/8 playing immensely.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.