Rhythm guitar

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by ottocat, Oct 4, 2011.

1. ottocat

ottocat Tele-Meister

Hey fellow guitar students . I 'm asking for advise . After years of study and playing , I've come to the conclusion , that of the three elements of music , rhythm is the most important .
    As my harshest critic I would say rhythm is my weakest point .This I want to improve . I'm by no means a rookie . I sing and play guitar bass and fiddle . I can sing a melody in my head and figure it out relatively easily on guitar or fiddle .
    I can hear the harmony in my head and figure out chords . Just plain ol strumming of a guitar in rhythm is hard for me . I don't feel like I'm a hack , I could just improve . Doom chicky doom chicky doom isn't natural , I also have never tried Raggae . I guess I'll go figure out "Buffalo Soldiers " Bob Marley .
    Now bagpipe tunes the rhythm feels natural , Scotland the Brave I figured out on fiddle when it popped in to my head .
    Is this a "white" guy thing . Blues is natural for me so I don't know , but to me Jimmy Rogers and Robert Johnson don't sound that different.
    A buddy that was constructively criticizing suggested concentrating on rhythm playing for a week . Singing sure helped my soloing . So I'm thinking he's right . The rhythm is what the Mediocraties Ad Publicum hears anyway .
    Any suggestions ?
    More funk please
    Otto Moe Faux

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Genre?

3. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Well, he plays "fiddle" and not "violin," so that narrows it down a bit;)

I devoted a whole year to becoming a better rhythm player...learned chords all over the neck, listening to bassists and drummers for rhythmic ideas...best thing I ever did for my playing. Actually helped my lead playing a ton too.

4. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

a metronome will cure what ails you

5. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

I kinda got lost after "bagpipe".

6. ottocat

ottocat Tele-Meister

I call it a fiddle. I studied classical music with a private teacher and in school from 10 -20 years old . My heart wasn't in it , I play jazz and bluegrass , rock , blues sounds kind of dumb on the fiddle to me . Been learning bagpipe tunes . I like to think I play music. I also play Indian fusion . Lately I've found some music that I call country soul tunes .
    I play anything with Soul to it , Miles **** , used to do Coltrane tunes on the fiddle . I even played fretless bass in a buttrock band . That tried my patience

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Still confused.

8. TxTeleMan

TxTeleMan Tele-Afflicted

McGlamRock is right. Use a metronome (not a Metro Gnome), and record yourself playing along to it. This play it back, listen, and go "ouch" because it sounds so bad. If you want to go Boom-chicka-chicka, look up one of Happy Traum's how to play flat pick country guitar.

Oh, and find a guitar buddy who'll play along with you and tell you when you're off.

What are the other two... ;)

9. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

It's all about the right hand.

You can know all the chords in the world but if you don't have the groove it doesn't matter.

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Ime, the right(picking?) hand can have the movement, but if the left(fretting) hand has never learned to damp strings appropriately, the rhythm suffers.

11. Sharp5

Sharp5 Tele-Holic

I would add to metronome use....record you, with said metronome, and play it back. Then you can hear for yourself what problems you may have. Also remember there's more ways then one to use a metronome. Set sub divisions or set and pretend that the clicks are beat two and four.

12. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

Pick out your favorite Rhythm Player. One you consider and influence. Immerse yourself in his (or her) playing. listen for the lil nuances. Now play along, and figure out how to sound like him. Record yourself. Play it back and find all the weak spots and concentrate on them.

My faves that influence me have distinct nuances to their playing. It's amazing. Between palm muting, fret hand muting, open strings ringing out, pinched harmonics, hybrid picking, etc, etc, etc........

And remember, I'm only talking the rhythm parts. It'll change your perspective and your approach on the instrument.

13. ottocat

ottocat Tele-Meister

As I said , I'm not a rookie, If I said I compose , worked at the Walter Piston harmony book , Played in the Seattle Youth Symphony at 13 , played bass in a gigging country rock band at 15 , play 4,5,6,string fretted and frettless basses , piano ( not well)but know enough theory to play: I play violin,viola ,some cello , electric and acoustic violin and guitar , studied jazz in college , theory and composition , played violin in a band that covered UK ,King Crimson ,Zappa and Return to Forever in my 20's, sing ( been told) well , scat and yodel a bit , play lap steel , want to play pedal steel but , can't afford one. Would that be pretentious ? (Know my Modes .....Ha!)
    I guess I need a metronome , and to immerse myself in rhythm , maybe try Giant Steps.
    The one dude is from Tennessee and don't dig the PIPES ? Now I'm confused , don't know much musicology ehhh? Your country music comes from Appalachia which are mostly people from Scotland ,Ireland and Germany by way of Romania , Poland , Russia and India . The instrument you play came from Persia ( now called Turkey )....by way of Greece and North Africa through Spain and Italy into Scotland England Ireland to Memphis (Tenn. not Egypt ) ....You might want to study up a bit before condescending .
    No I don't play pro......I couldn't stand the people in the business

14. ottocat

ottocat Tele-Meister

Respectfully stated gentlemen

15. Alex M

Alex M Tele-Meister

The most important aspect of rhythm guitar is alternate picking and strumming.

16. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

Rhythm playing is lot easier for me then trying to figure out what the op is saying.

17. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Time is the most important element of music. Playing chords, commonly referred to as rhythm is done many different ways. I think a strong right hand is really important.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  18. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

No one's being condescending. But the general consensus here is that we don't know what you're talking about - ? I've responded to many of your posts over the years and this one is really convoluted.

The best thing would be to post a soundclip (just use your webcam) and we'll critique you and tell you what you can do to improve.

19. wshelley

wshelley Tele-Holic

Yes. Amazing rhythm never came with all that musical talent.

20. ottocat

ottocat Tele-Meister

Stupid me. Why after writing and losing what I write can't I say . I can solo and it sounds like Zappa , but I can't play Johnny Cash rhythm or Bob Marley rhythm.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.