Rhythm guitar tutorials...

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by oceanblue, Jun 11, 2019.

1. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Saw the rhythm guitar thread and it got me thinking...while I see tons of videos online for lessons for leads in songs, and basic chords/strumming for songs, but not much in lessons on playing rhythm for songs in a band setting, as in breaking down what you are hearing, what the lead guitarist is doing, what the rhythm guitarist is doing, or should be doing, etc. In other words, "here is the rhythm guitar part only for this song" kind of thing. As in it's just as important to know when not to be playing anything vs strumming chords through a whole song.
    I'd like to get to a point to be able to play with others, good rhythm guitar, but not getting in the way of the lead guitar or bass, or anything else. Playing along with songs through my amp or something, I can do whatever, but that may not gel right in a band setting, or even with other guitarists jamming.

So any resources anyone can point me to, youtube videos I've not found, etc., I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

2. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Sounds like a great idea for a video, I need that one as well.

Have you considered suggesting that to one of the great youtube teachers out there...Paul David's, Justin Guitar, etc?

I bet they'd appreciate a good idea, has to be hard to come up with original material.

oceanblue likes this.
  3. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

duzie and oceanblue like this.
  4. JMac52

JMac52 Tele-Meister

Brad Carlson has a course on truefire called Rhythmology. I found it very helpful. Not sure what it costs these days.

oceanblue likes this.
  5. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Truefire has some truly excellent courses on rhythm.

Mattieau Brandt has a course called "Triads & Hendrixian Double Stops". It is one of the earlier TF courses, so the production is a little cheesy. But the content is stellar.

It is really exactly what you describe you are looking for - how to craft rhythm parts that fit with the band.

It is a fair whack of material - over 6 hours of video. But it covers a lot of territory. It really changed the game for me in terms of coming up with a cool part that fits the music, even if there are 2 or 3 other guitarists playing.

oceanblue likes this.
  6. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Thanks! I'll check them out. Sometime it's tough to break out what one player is doing and what another is doing in a popular song you want to cover. Worse when 3 or more guitar parts are involved.

7. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 TDPRI Member

+1 regarding Truefire. It's my go to lesson source. You can pay monthly (around $15 I think) and access every video lesson they have. Or, what I've done lately, is just buy a specific course. This works for me because I get lazy, so it's nice to know I can get around to doing the course a year later, without having paid monthly fees all along. They don't really specialize in specific songs though, unless that's changed.

Also a good place to go is Ultimate Guitar, especially for learning specific songs. They have the pro tabs option. You might have to pay, but it's very cheap. I think I paid $20 for lifetime access. You can try it for free I think, and then it's like $2.99 / month or something. Anyways, you can isolate the instruments, adjust all their volumes, see each part's transcription. Super useful is the ability to put certain passages on repeat, and slow down the timing. I've done this with success for tricky solos. take like 4 bars at a time, half speed, over and over and over again. Sounds tedious, but you can nail a solo after a few hours, which may have seemed impossible.

Good luck! I think that way my rhythm thread btw ;)

oceanblue likes this.
  8. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Not a free resource but Lick Library has a lot of lessons on rhythm playing and detailed break down of songs including the rhythm parts.

oceanblue likes this.
  9. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

you can't learn how to do this in isolation

even one partner is essential

and there is no abstract silver bullet rule for rhythm playing because there are many styles

three bedrock rules are:

1 keep good time
    2 keep a simple regular groove
    3 don't play too loud

you can prep by listening for just the rhythm parts of tunes you want to play

give us an example

10. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

I don't know the musical background of the OP. If he had any formal training in music? I agree especially with your #1. Timing is vital. I agree with your #3. But I am not completely on board with #2. Having some kind of formal musical background and understanding 1/4 notes 1/8 notes, 1/8 note triplets and so on and incorporating that into your playing is essential. Simple grooves don't cut it if you want to stand out as a rhythm player.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

all I mean is, try not to doo whacka doo ornament things unpredictably

boogie rhythm is eighth note for example but it's consistent which is more what I mean by simple

I don't mean boring, that's for sure

12. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Tons of books on the art of rhythm in a band setting, if you look for it,

Bruce Forman has a nice pro study in his book, basically a masterclass,

Jazz Band Rhythm Guitar https://g.co/kgs/pPdeV7

13. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  14. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Bring a good rhythm player involves listening to the drums and bass, and melody.

But I suspect some lessons could give a baseline and ideas.

Honestly I think being forced to always practice instruments with a metronome really helped me out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.