1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rhythm guitar overdrive/distortion

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Broke&Gearless, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Broke&Gearless

Broke&Gearless TDPRI Member

Guitarteach, i disagree. The vox ac4 is a sweet little amp, vox chime and sparkle in a portable package. Definitely loud enough for now and a long time to come, and its definitely a class amp.

But for the more important matter...valvestate, how much is the j&h in sing dollars? I was looking at catalinbread dls, 250 from SV guitars...if the j&h is cheaper i will be emailing guitar77 soon. Thanks for the information! I didnt know that they were still open for appointments, only that they closed down.

2. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

The King of Tone/Prince of Tone are modded BluesBreaker v1 boxes. There are plenty of good ones available now for cheap.

Here's a thread from earlier this year: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/553032-bluesbreaker-brawl-4-bbv1s-enter-1-leaves.html

The BlackBox from Snouse came out very-highly regarded in that thread.

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Boss OD-3.

4. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

You definitely need to stretch your budget if you are only looking at $250.. i know that VS J&H v3 is almost $300 if im not mistaken. You better off checking Carousell... i saw some add there selling a Son Of Hyde and Route 808. Try to see if you can "offer" more reasonable price for both..

i rarely buy new pedals here... always 2nd hand.

5. Broke&Gearless

Well, i went back and watched some reviews of the J&H. Turns out, the OD side is a tubescreamer thing, so that ruined it. Now i have the OCD and catalinbread DLS again.

OCD: Cheaper with "loose" bottom end, drive is pretty great.
    DLS: stunning, but worried it will not work well with Vox. More expensive.

6. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I didn't find the OCD loose at all unless you want it to be. There is a LP/HP switch on the OCD which gives more or less distortion and low end. I found that if it was too loose, I would just adjust the treble to tighten it up. I found that on the OCD if you turn up the gain, you need to adjust the treble also

No experience with the DLS. Isn't that one supposed to be a Marshall in a box pedal? Those pedals tend to sound best through a really clean amp where with an OD pedal,you can use it to overdrive the front end of the amp if you want. The OCD is an overdrive but has enough gain to get into distortion territory

7. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

The OCD is the one OD I have that never seems to stay off my board for long and is truly a "keeper." It can really do anything from clean boost to full shred and anything in between and does it well. Can't go wrong with the OCD.

8. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody TDPRI Member

this isn't as fast as switching on a pedal...or as accurate...imho:D

try a boost in front of your dirt pedal
    mi audio boost n buff...this will take most crunchy rhythm tones straight into lead territory:D

9. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I'd start with a Red Llama set to low gain for the Stones/tweed rhythm tones and add the TS for lead work. It's a proven combination into a Vox. Read up on Tom Petty and Mike Campbell's use of the Way Huge Camel Toe; a RL/TS double pedal. There are many RL clones available for under $100 USD.

If you're wanting a drive pedal to knock down an always on TS for rhythm work, I think you're looking at the problem backwards. Get your rhythm tone first, then add the TS for leads. Hope this helps.

10. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Which is exactly why the Jekyll and Hyde is so brilliant!

11. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Yup.. this AGAIN. All guitarist need a VS and especiallya TS808/ 9 on their board... if you play live, Tubescreamer.pedals just makes everything sound so beautiful.

12. losrogers

losrogers Tele-Meister

OP, Gain Changer will give the rhythm tones you seek. Feels great through a Vox circuit. You'll be smiling, even with all knobs at noon.

And for your future expansion, stack it with Direct Drive compact. You won't miss the TS with your Vox.

Barber dirt is really good. Start with a Gain Changer.

13. Broke&Gearless

As previously explained, i like a clean lead tone and distorted/driven rhythn tone. It is unconventional but i guess its just a personal thing.

The left side on a jekyll and hyde, as i found out, is a TS kind of thing, which rules it out for me as i want something Not a TS sound. But thanks for the suggestion.

The red llama...sounds interesting. Ill go check it out soon...thanks for the suggestion.

14. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

You sound like perfect candidate for Mad Professor Underdrive or HBE Detox EQ. You basically set up amp for lead tone, and then when you kick pedal on in chokes your input signal back a hair and allows you to re-EQ all in one pedal click. What your describing is exactly what their made to do. A EQD Tone Job or other EQ could probably probably get you in same ballpark.

Many people say just roll your vol knob of but I don't like treble roll off you usually get doing that, and as you've noticed, EQ also needs some reshaping.

15. Broke&Gearless

Well as it is i have set my sights on a barber compact direct drive after finding one second hand. Thank you for all your suggestions, especially losrogers who suggested barber pedals.

16. mattyboy

mattyboy Tele-Meister

Hey if the deal on the Barber doesn't work out, then check out the Cmatmods Signadrive. It's a great TS pedal that does rhythm & leads very well.
    I also use the AC4-12" & works great with the signa.

17. losrogers

losrogers Tele-Meister

DDC is my newest pedal, about 3-4 weeks now, and I really like using it as a clean lead boost or very mild OD with a Vox AC10.

I now own three Barber pedals which bumped all my favorite dirt pedals:
    Including Boss, Fulltone, Ibanez, and Maxon.

18. t.e.l.e.

t.e.l.e. Tele-Meister

OCD or if it's too focused the good old BD-2 if you want more grit. Don't forget to roll your volume back for rhythm.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.