Rheem caliphone amp resurrection.

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by jimdgreat1, Jul 23, 2019.

1. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1 TDPRI Member

Had this for a while. Came with some other stuff. I'm wanting to get it working. I know it's over my head and may never work. Need to get a voltage/continuity tester, mine is in storage. Somewhere.

Any ideas where to start? Looks like it's been modified already.

20190723_193527.jpg 20190723_194702.jpg 20190723_193501.jpg 20190723_194759.jpg 20190723_194832.jpg

DaphneBlue and stevemc like this.
  2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Start by not plugging it into AC power. Replace all electrolytic capacitors. Power up and troubleshoot as-necessary.

Experts, is a light bulb limiter of any use with a solid state amp?

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

If you are well-versed in basic electronics and solid state circuitry, then by all means forge ahead. Draw the schematic out and see if the circuit is complete....or if the ‘modding’ that you think you see there has left the circuit incomplete. If you are not very experienced, I would suggest that it is tech time IF you want to get it going. For my purposes, there is a cool Alnico speaker there.

4. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1 TDPRI Member

After reading up on amp repair some more I'm tempted to have someone look at it. I'm going to need more than a multitester. Don't think I'm buying a oscillating scope for this one amp. Or is that just a tube thing?

5. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

It would absolutely be best to get that to a tech. It sounds like you're not even sure of the tools required, and this is a complicated amp that would not make a good or even intermediate project, most likely. Personally, I would question if it's worth restoring, but that's something you'll need to answer.

Wally likes this.
  6. Wally

Personal thing.....all I would spend on that amp is the time it takes to pull the speaker. YMMV. When I saw your thread opener I was hoping that you had a Caliphone tube amp. I bought an ‘industrial’ Caliphone record Player/P.A. Amp that runs a single EL-84....little rig that would have been used for classroom presentations and such. It is one of the most impressive little guitar amps I have ever had the pleasure of plugging into. It was dead when I bought it, but after the recap and minor mods it was the best $25 I ever spent on an amp.

corliss1 likes this.
  7. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1 TDPRI Member

I seriously doubt it's worth fixing. Still if it can be fixed I'd have it fixed. Just because it looks cool.

8. Wally

As I said...personal choice. It will need new electrolytics for a start. Then, the repair will require someone who can work without a schematic...more than likely. Imho, the amp is worth what that speaker is worth right now, and it won’t be worth much more even if it makes sound. I figure that unless a tech works for free, one would have a minimum of $125 in the repairs...plus parts.
    My little Caliphone doesn’t even look like a guitar amp, but it sounds like one of the best small guitar amps a person could find...maybe at any price.
    Have fun...

9. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Rheem! Cool I have one of their water heaters I installed.:)

Wally and jimdgreat1 like this.
  10. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

Might be cool to use it as a chassis/cabinet for a build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wally likes this.
  11. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.