1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rewiring pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Fendereedo, May 3, 2021.

1. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a set of classic vibe alnico pickups from my CVC 60s. The wiring came off the pickups they were wired that badly, particularly the neck, literally fell off. Anyone know how to rewire the pickups with new wire. Sorry to bother everyone, I just want use them for another future project.

Pics

IMG_20210503_225327.jpg IMG_20210503_225341.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  2. Fendereedo

Anyone?

3. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

Are you saying that the lead wires came off the pickup ( the wires that run to the switch or volume pot ), or that the hair-like coil wire under the tape has broken loose?

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

At this link

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-i...onics-and-wiring/single-coil-pickup-kits.html

There is a section entitled "Soldering the Lead Wires" that describe it and provide some photos of how it looks.

If the leads were clipped off and there is a chunk of wire buried in the solder in each eyelet you might be able to just push the end of the new lead through and dislodge it, but it also might be necessary to use a solder sucker to clear the eyelet, followed by refilling the eyelet with solder and pushing the new lead through.

I'd probably do the latter if it were me. The objective is to push the new lead through the solder-filled eyelet without disturbing the coil wires that are already there, and then let it cool nice and shiny without jiggling the new lead wires while it cools.

This is a delicate task and it risks breaking the coil start or finish wires. If you do this you should recognize the risk, but since they're unusable as they are now maybe that's acceptable.

Fendereedo and Peegoo like this.
  5. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Yeah this same thing happened to me on a jazzmaster pickup. Really thin stranded wire, bent to many times and it just snapped off. Just remelt the solder blob and stick a new (better) piece of wire in there. Like wallaby said you run the risk of ruining the coil, but seeing as it's currently ruined, I'd risk it if it were mine. Use a multimeter to check the resistance when you're done.

Fendereedo likes this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

It's easy to put new wires on. Go with shielded cable if you can -- cuts a lot of noise. Youtube videos of building pickups will show you how. Just be super careful of the tiny bobbin wires.

In your first picture you can see the little jumper from one solder blob to the blob on the cover tab. If you clip that jumper when putting on the wires and add a separate ground wire from the cover tab you can wire up your next project guitar with a 4-way switch. Then give that Tele project a stealth Les Paul humbucker tone.

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Fendereedo likes this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

They don't need to be rewound yet. Some good advice above!

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. Fendereedo

Really appreciate the input guy's. I'm on rewiring another project right now, but have bookmarked all your comments. Great stuff, thank you all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.