Rewiring Nashville 5 Way Pickup Switch option's suggestions.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Digiplay, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Hi guys!

I have a 2017 Nashville Deluxe Tele, and I would like some help on wiring the control plate switch differently.

In my ideal world, I would like:

1) Position 1: Bridge
    2) Position 2: ?
    3) Position 3: Bridge and Neck
    4) Position 4: ?
    5) Position 5: Neck

Obviously position's 1, 3, and 5 are a standard Tele 3 way switch layout, and I would like the middle Strat pickup to be able to played by itself (like a Strat).

So that means I can go with either position 2 or 4.

If so, what position for the middle pickup only do you recommend, and then what should the last position be used as?

Please note that I'm open to other idea's :)

2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

I believe you will need a superswitch to accomplish what you want to do.
    upload_2020-3-25_17-14-24.jpeg

3. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I’ve said this a couple of times recently, but I’m not a fan of the 5-way switch. So what I’m planning to do to my Shergold Masquerader — which is Nashville-esque, with a Tele bridge + pickup and two Strat pickups — is replace the 5-way with a 3-way and a Tele / Strat switch so that I can get
    Tele / Strat
    1: B / B&M
    2: B&N / M
    3: N / M&N

To do this right — with M as an option — needs a 3-pole switch at minimum, so I might fit an S1 (4-pole) or add a mini-toggle. On a Tele I think an S1 in the volume pot is the way to go.

4. nathan5782

nathan5782 TDPRI Member

I would probably put middle pickup only in position 2 and Neck+Middle in position4. I have a Nashville telecaster with Tex Mex pickups and I like the neck+middle a little more than bridge+middle. I'm putting together a Nashville telecaster body and just wired it this past weekend. I found this diagram below on another thread here but it is like a 7 way Strat wiring with a push pull pot. I ran the push pull using the bridge pickup instead because the neck pickup wire was not long enough to reach the push pull tone pot.
    http://www.guitar-mod.com/images/3PUP_7SOUND_TELE.gif

Attached Files:

5. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

I have one from '98, I used a yamaha superswitch, and I wired it Bridge, bridge/middle, bridge/neck, middle/neck and neck soloed.
    I eliminated the middle pickup soloed, as I never used it anyway.
    it was a bit more intuitive, and I didn't want to add any toggle switches
    I used the diagram that came with the switch.

6. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

7. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Hi Nathan!

So:
    1) Position 1: Bridge
    2) Position 2: Middle
    3) Position 3: Bridge and Neck
    4) Position 4: Middle and Neck
    5) Position 5: Neck

Will they be a way to wire the existing 5-way switch to the above specs?

Thanks,
    Jerry

8. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

The easiest way to wire a regular 5 way would be either the bridge or neck to position three.
    So
    1 neck
    2 neck and bridge
    3 bridge
    4 bridge and middle
    5 middle
    or
    1 middle
    2 middle and neck
    3 neck
    4 neck and bridge
    5 bridge.

nathan5782 and Teleterr like this.
  9. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Meister

This is the way I went.
    3PUP_7SOUND_TELE.gif Not that much cost.Lead time somewhere around 6-7 weeks atm.Got a solder pencil?

10. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Another option is to purchase a prewired control plate with a seven way capability via a five way selector and a push/pull on the tone control. I recently installed a 920D Custom. It yields all the combinations:
    Neck
    Neck and middle
    Middle
    Middle and bridge---or all three pickups on the pull
    Bridge---or neck and bridge on the pull

Got it off Reverb for ~$70. Keep smiling.

Edit....read the description carefully or call them...there are a couple of different models depending on the number of wires on your middle pickup/year of the guiitar.

11. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Hi Hey_you!

I have learned to solder, so yes :)

That diagram is great, but I don't want to have a push-pull switch, so I take it that the specific wiring I want is not possible with a 5-way switch?

12. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Hello to you stormsedge!

There's that darn push/pull switch again, so obviously my ideal setup is not possible :)

13. nathan5782

nathan5782 TDPRI Member

I believe warrant’s post is correct. I think on the standard 5 way switch positions 2 and 4 contact two pickups simultaneously so it can’t do middle only in position 2.

14. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

LOL. It probably is possible and had I read your post closer I'd not have muddied the waters more. Given that you want to have the middle alone, I'd probably go with middle and bridge for the remaining slot...I use that more than neck and middle. As to the how to wire it...you'll need a smarter man than me;).

15. nathan5782

nathan5782 TDPRI Member

If you flip the neck and middle on the switch it might work like this:
    1. Bridge
    2. Bridge + neck
    3. Neck
    4. Neck+ middle
    5. Middle
    It would probably be a little awkward to get used to but I think it would work.

16. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

That might work!

If you/me approach the 5-way switch as if it were a Tele 3-way switch, that means:

1) Bridge
    2) Bridge and Neck
    3) Neck

And that's JUST LIKE a traditional Tele!

So what's left is:
    4) Neck and Middle
    5) Middle

A warped way (warped to me :) ) to look at it is the first 3 positions are for playing a Nashville just like a 2 pickup Tele, and the last two are for Strat sounds/combinations, and I could learn to live with that Nathan!

As I said before, as I'm new to playing a guitar, I have no habits yet, so had anyone given me a Tele that had a 3-way switch that was not wired"normal", I would have not known the difference, and I wouldn't know any better :)

Regardless, I'll have an open mind, and I'll look into those pre-wired control plates as an alternative.

Thanks!
    Jerry

nathan5782 likes this.
  17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Or, if you prefer having B+M as your 'quack' position, then swap the bridge and middle hot leads on the switch.

Middle
    Middle + Bridge
    Bridge
    Neck + Bridge
    Neck

This is the same as the other idea, but loses N+M, in favor of B+M. You still get N, N+B, B, in that order (Tele!), but they're at the other end of the switch, with M+B and M on the back end.

Another way, which gives you two more tones, is a simple push-pull or mini-toggle that gives Bridge ON. With normal Strat wiring, you get all five Strat tones, and with the switch engaged, you also get N+B, N+M+B. The remaining positions are redundant: M+B, M+B, B.

Or, do Neck ON instead of Bridge ON, and in addition to regular Strat, you get the extra two tones at the back end, instead of the front.

Since you want to 'think' Tele, you could use a 3-way, and add a Middle ON switch, which gives you, in addition to the three Tele sounds, N+M, N+B+M, B+M. Or, you could use a 4-way, and have the same thing, plus two series positions: B>N, and (B>N) + M (total of eight tones).

Back to your regular Strat switch, you could do the Armstrong mod, but you'll need a pot for it. Either shove a third pot in there, or stack your vol and tone. The extra blend pot goes between stock Strat, and four more sounds (middle position is unchanged). Two series, and two OOP parallel.

You could also use a switch for the Armstrong, instead of the pot.

18. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Mine is wired as per a design by Seymour Duncan... I think I have the schematic, but it's a push-pull switch - pushed in, it's standard. Pulled out, you turn the neck pickup on, so position 1 is neck/Bridge, and position 2 is all pickups on. (3 is middle/neck, 4 is middle/neck and and 6 is neck). But those seven positions give you Tele, Strat, Strat, Strat, Tele, Brian May...

Mincer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.