1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Rewiring my Epi: Page style

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by bricksnbeatles, Jul 6, 2015.

1. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

Hey everybody, bricksnbeatles here!

Recently I've decided to rewire my trusty old Epi Les Paul traditional pro with new pups (I really hate the stock pickups, plus the bridge HB is broken, and the pots and switch just SUCK! Anyway, I've already ordered the pickups, I ordered a Seymour Duncan "whole lotta humbucker" set (awesome pickups by the way, I've never had them in a guitar of mine, but I've played through them in various guitars belonging to other people), but I still need to order the other stuff (oh yeah! btw, I'm doing the Jimmy page wiring with 4 push pulls for coil shunts, out of phase, and series/parallel). I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, but since I found http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VMS2XIQ/ref=pd_aw_sbs_267_1/183-5589392-4440816?refRID=0D9GZJQSC0V81VRT392B#top I think I'll go that route… anyway… I have some questions for all of you:
    1) I can't really tell in the picture very well, can any of you tell if it's 50's wiring or modern wiring?

2) I don't have any experience with Bourns pots (I know they are great quality, but that's all I know), what knurl is the shaft? I'm going to order new speed knobs from stewmac and they sell knobs for Alpha and CTS, so those are 18, or 24 spine shafts I think… but which is the right for Bourns? (I'm guessing the 24- spline, but I really don't know)

3) What is your opinion on the work of 920D? It seems like they are highly recommend by others.

(And if it helps, I'll post the link for the stewmac knobs in just a few moments)

2. bricksnbeatles

3. bricksnbeatles

Bump?

4. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Not sure what you were looking for with the Epi pickups. I got one and was very happy with the pickups. It's interesting to see and hear the wide range of opinions we have on this group when it comes to the sounds and satisfaction with sounds of a pickup. Curious as to what you may or may not have heard from them. My only big gripe was the looks, I hate Zebras. ;-) but all I did then was cover them with covers, bing bam no more problem.

5. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I took a Seymour bridge JB out of my Gibson and put it into an Epi SG400 - didn't have to change the pots, they were still pretty smooth, noiseless and worked well - sounded like a strat on steroids.

The wiring diagram you want must be out there on google or whatever.

6. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

I can't answer your actual questions, but looking over the wiring kit I can say it looks pretty great. That't not a soldering job I'd be interested in (my soldering skills are so-so).

I'm sure StewMac would let you return the knobs if they didn't fit. They're a great company.

7. bricksnbeatles

Well to be fair, I actually really liked them when I first got that guitar 5ish years ago, but as time went on I just got fed up with them and their issues (for a while the d and b string didn't make sound on the neck pickup, and the bridge pickup just seems weak, even when it's raised up really high the output is significantly lower than the neck when the neck is super low down, plus the bridge pup just gave up on me completely about a year ago) so the pickups WERE okay, but as they (along with the other electronics) deteriorated and as my tastes have changed, I just can't agree with them.

8. bricksnbeatles

Good point on the knobs, I have had great experiences with them! I would however try to get it right the first time, just to avoid the trouble of sending them back and all. Thanks everybody who's responded, I hope to find all the answers soon :)

9. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

Bourns push pull pots afaik are usually 18 spline (see pic). There is a caveat, and that is Bourns make pots to customers' specification and they offer 18 and 24 spline versions. The pot without the switch is a 24 spline CTS
    I'm not sure the 18/24 spline knobs issue is anything but a bit of Stewmac hype. I rewired an LP copy recently with a mix of Alpha push pull volume pots and CTS tone pots. The 18 spline Alpha knobs fitted both fine.

Attached Files:

10. bricksnbeatles

Interesting! I suppose it could be mostly hype, tho I'm sure there is some reasoning behind it (as insignificant as it might be) I suppose is just order the 18 spline anyway just since it seems more likely. Thanks!

11. bricksnbeatles

Anybody else have an opinion to voice?

I also still need an answer to this if anybody has an idea? \/ \/ \/

12. bricksnbeatles

Bumpity bah-bump

13. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

There are more pictures at Sigler http://www.siglermusiconline.com/co...ge-wiring-harness-bourns-500k-long-shaft-pots The caps appear to be soldered to the center lug of the tone pots which afaik is modern. To be honest I didn't know that the Page wiring had a 50s option.
    One thing that comes to mind is the use of screened cable to and from the switch not single Gavitt cloth covered wire.

This is an alternative Seymour Duncan diagram to the one on the website which has the caps soldered to the rear of the tone pots.

Attached Files:

14. majorbugout

majorbugout Tele-Meister

Stewmac now has really nice CTS push pull pots, I'd use those. Funny seeing this post this morning, UPS just dropped off my Desert Burst Pro-Traditional on the doorstep yesterday. I'm totally loving this thing. I do think it would look better with all cream instead of zebras and also agree that the output of the bridge doesn't really keep up with the neck pickup. The pickups sound pretty good otherwise so not in a hurry to switch them out.

15. bricksnbeatles

Thanks for the responses everybody, I'm going to look into this some more and take everything into consideration.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1436272027.366477.jpg

So what does that mean?

16. bricksnbeatles

A closer look shows that afaik, the diagrams we each posted are electronically identical.

17. bricksnbeatles

I was thinking of using those at first, but after I thought about it, I realized that I would be in about $40 for all the pots, then another $18 for the switch, then $3 for the jack, and then I'd have to buy the caps somewhere else, and it just ends up being more cost effective to get this (esp. Since its prewired) since it's cheaper in the long run, and from what I know, Bourns is a VERY highly regarded manufacturer of pots (sometimes more so than CTS so I've heard)

18. bricksnbeatles

Bump

19. KCStratMan

KCStratMan Tele-Afflicted

Screened cable would be Britspeak for shielded wire - using a shielded lead, er piece of wire, from switch to output jack to help minimize hum and noise.

20. bricksnbeatles

Thanks! In that case, it appears to me that they ARE using the gavitt wire, not the "screened" wire for the switch?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.