Rewire Re-Old-New Guitar day

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Just finished this up last night or early yesterday morning. I had it up & playing, but wiring needed to be redone, and the pots weren’t correct for me.
I went with 500K A CTS, for both volumes and the one tone. I didn’t have enough (4) so I tried a used dual gang one meg for the rear tone control but it didn’t work. I should have tried the bottom half because I pulled it out and after I finished the guitar I checked it, only 1/2 was not working. I think it’s just as well as I’ve decided to re-design the bottom half of the pick guard with three in a graceful, evenly spaced arc, with two volumes and a master tone and 50s style.
As it is the top most control is the lead volume, the second one down sort of weird by the lower bout is the tone for the lead pick up, and the last control by the hole is the rhythm volume with no tone. I never really melded with the tone control on the front as I was always trying to turn it up anyway, and backing off the volume would cut the tone enough.

I’ll probably end up redoing it again with a different rhythm pick up as both of them are pretty hot. They are both Seymour Duncan jazz pick ups, With alNico slugs and high output-The front is 12.5 k, and the rear is 14 K and change, creeping on 15. I very much like the rear pick up, it has extra large slugs maybe something like they used to call a quarter pounder? They protrude quite far out of the bottom of the pick up, and I don’t know if it was my bad wiring or what but in the past I had to pull it out and line the bottom because if the magnet touched it would cut out. It would also buzz when I touch the pick up magnet which I think is not correct unless you’re going for some certain phase thing?
I re shielded the whole cavity this time, with conductivity throughout including the backside of the guard.
I used RG 174 throughout except for the pick ups them selves which for whatever reason had skinny solid core telephone wire. I was afraid to try and rewire them with proper braided wire because I remember they kicked around for a long time and a couple of the leads had to be resoldered with the tiny pick up wire just long enough to go into the hole. As I remember, One or both had the original magnet wire just barely going into the solder and not wanting to be unwound from the bobbin anymore without feeling like it may have broken. I was going to at least cover them with a braid or something but as it is the guitar is quite a bit more quiet, especially with such a raucous rear Single coil pick up. The neck is an old Carvin, I was going to say Rosewood but it appears to be Ebony-oh man where did my memory go. They used to come with an uncut headstock and you could shape it however you wanted. That neck was on another Stratocaster for many years and played professionally and the frets are still really not hideous. I probably played that five or six years as my main guitar six days a week with doubles on the weekends through summer times! I did the headstock freehand the same as the body somewhat… I say somewhat because I used my Stratocaster for a basic shape and then I just embellished. The body is two pieces of mahogany a woodworker buddy of mine gave me.There wasn’t enough to seam straight up the middle, so it’s about an inch and a half off-center towards the top bout. The pit guard is made out of a clipboard or two, melamine or whatever that stuff is, partly out of necessity because the body is not exactly stock shape and because it was the easiest thing to work with I had. The bridge was the closest thing I had at the time that would allow string through. I have a new package of ferrules, but I strung it up before I remembered ha ha! The nut was already there because it used to be on a Stratocaster. A few of the little balls/steely have fallen out on stage/gigs during string change with no chance of finding them. I quickly made a repair with a tiny cut off from the bass strings and some crazy glue in between tunes and they are still there on the E and B strings… oh I guess the G string also. Ha! She ain’t purdy, and I’ll probably end up as I may have said (cripes I sure do some long posts sometimes) moving that ribbon pick up into the lead position of another guitar, but it really does play and sound very nice, Especially the top strings once you’ve fretted them (my stage repair doesn’t allow a full ring I think from the nut On the top three strings when they’re plucked open) from the first fret on, More so on the B so it’s probably just a matter of cleaning up a little crazy glue. I’m hoping tomorrow’s Twanger Section will have some tunes that it can lend itself to!
Those are little probably number six nuts taking the place of the String ferrules, and yes that is my proud example of the only guitar I’ve ever drilled through (cavity to cavity drill) and some real nice impromptu artwork from a very gifted DJ friend of mine.
D7FFA585-87F6-4D2D-8440-C8FE1F02A227.jpeg

Attachments

• D839AD78-C79F-443F-8366-EA3C3BEE97EA.jpeg
    D839AD78-C79F-443F-8366-EA3C3BEE97EA.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 5E4A012E-D93F-4D7F-A18E-6D7DA5569022.jpeg
    5E4A012E-D93F-4D7F-A18E-6D7DA5569022.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 47
  • BC45F23A-D852-446B-8474-2B1A28B02B5A.jpeg
    BC45F23A-D852-446B-8474-2B1A28B02B5A.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 3DAC3F18-5BC3-4DDF-82B0-C6CEDF934643.jpeg
    3DAC3F18-5BC3-4DDF-82B0-C6CEDF934643.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 33E91D43-4A89-4B61-BC6A-CDE51D783033.jpeg
    33E91D43-4A89-4B61-BC6A-CDE51D783033.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 63

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
I forgot one pic of goofy knobs…Sound clips should come tomorrow in the Twanger section. Edit- like an idiot it’s been down for so long I should have painted it. I had planned on a sort of chalky off-white body with the full black pick guard. I would always put it off because ultimately I would also like a belly and arm relief, for obvious comfort, and also as I’m getting older, the lighter the guitar the better.
image.jpg

Last edited:

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
I want to apologize for the long ramble on my beginning post, I was going to edit it up but the three little dots are not there .

I went ahead and put the last tone control back in there and used the other half of the pot-it stinks! With the one Meg and even 50s style it’s all bunched up at the bottom and it just turns off… actually a little gradual and then boom.

I’ll probably try a couple resistors across the one meg to bring it down or maybe just put another pot in there. The main reason is probably that it’s a B and not A taper-I hadn’t unoticed until after I heard it. I’ve got to get different knobs also as these are a little small for a good feeling volume swell.

I recorded a few clips and I’ll try to post them on Twanger, although I probably would’ve used a different guitar for the songs that are up this week, It’s a ball to play so I tried to make it work.
D936A0C2-D9B9-41F6-9D6E-E8A2CDBFA3E9.jpeg

Last edited:

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Paragraphs...
I just looked that over again... I originally posted it twice by mistake and I asked the staff to remove one. It appears they may have removed the better edited one. I say this because I had at least three likes or replies or whatever and they were not here. As I said, I'll try to re-edit and thanks for bringing that to my attention.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Love the p-90s bet it screams the blues !
No they are jazz pick ups like fender jazz guitar pick ups or whatever they call those oh jazz master… ha ha that was me just speaking to the voice recognition and it’s sort of funny so I left it.

Yes they look like P 90s but they are I guess technically jazz master Seymour Duncan custom wound alNico slug, hi output pick ups.

The rear pick up really rocks and I love it. But like I was saying in the original post (at least I think I did I’m getting old and I forget everything) for whatever reason they both had little telephone wire instead of a usual braided lead like on a P90, and that, coupled with the fact that The guitar cavities were unshielded, plus I just slapped it together, made for a sort of noisy guitar.

Yes it does have a great blues sound and feel. The neck is sort of like an old 80s Ibanez or Jackson speed guitar shape.
I was looking over the frets and it’s incredible as much as this old Carvin neck has been played, It still has a ton of fret, no deep divots. I can bend the holy heck out of the strings with no fretting out.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
No they are jazz pick ups like fender jazz guitar pick ups or whatever they call those oh jazz master… ha ha that was me just speaking to the voice recognition and it’s sort of funny so I left it.

Yes they look like P 90s but they are I guess technically jazz master Seymour Duncan custom wound alNico slug, hi output pick ups.

The rear pick up really rocks and I love it. But like I was saying in the original post (at least I think I did I’m getting old and I forget everything) for whatever reason they both had little telephone wire instead of a usual braided lead like on a P90, and that, coupled with the fact that The guitar cavities were unshielded, plus I just slapped it together, made for a sort of noisy guitar.

Yes it does have a great blues sound and feel. The neck is sort of like an old 80s Ibanez or Jackson speed guitar shape.
I was looking over the frets and it’s incredible as much as this old Carvin neck has been played, It still has a ton of fret, no deep divots. I can bend the holy heck out of the strings with no fretting out.
How are the pickups mounted?

Usually they have covers with two screws on each side

CX Hunter

Tele-Meister
Some day when your guitars have become collectibles, this one will be in the catalog as being from your Brutalist Period.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
How are the pickups mounted?

Usually they have covers with two screws on each side
I routed the cavities fairly shallow. The pick ups are affixed with a few dollops of hot glue. They lasted on there for a few years before I rewired it.

I’ve got away with using that technique quite a few times fixing some thing on the run. Most of the time I’ll use sacrificial tape-anything from 3M masking tape, to T Rex duct tape, metallized HVAC tape etc.

I’ve even used that on pedal boards, mounting something temporary when I know it’s not going to stay there.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
I finally got around to painting the second half of the pickguard-The part with the pots on it.

I’ve been kicking around the idea of a Bigsby. The guitar is not light but not too heavy, I guess I put it at medium weight. If I did do a Bigsby I would cut an arm and stomach relief, both for comfort and weight reduction.

It’s not been sealed and I am wondering if my proximity to the beach and moist weather is actually adding to increased weight.

I guess I could also route out a bunch underneath the pickguard, Or even send it through a planer and remove a 16th off the back.

image.jpg

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I would like those but I’ve never seen anything advertised, are you just talking about slapping a resistor over a 500k to change the resistance?
No, they make one that is spec'd out to 350K.