Rewire Fender OV neck pup for use with SD Jerry Donahue?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by fenderrookie, Jul 26, 2005.

1. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo!

I want to use a Fender AV 52 ri neck pickup with a Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue. I was told I would have to re-wire it. Does this below sound right?

"you'll just have to unsolder the cover lead from one eyelet and solder it to the other, and will have to swap the white and black leads -- white to ground and black to the switch. This also makes the middle position hum-cancelling."

2. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

separate ground

You could make the pickup cover ground a third wire, and run it back to your common ground (pot casing or equivalent). I haven't done that yet, but I plan to do it with a '50s Classic neck pickup to try it with a Duncan Broadcaster. That way I'll have the flexibility how I pair pickups in the future, and without having to bother soldering near the pickup again.

3. JoeAArthur

JoeAArthur Tele-Holic

This implies that the SD pickup has a reversed phase from a stock Fender.

4. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

I've used many different Duncan pickups with a Fender OV neck pup (JD, Broadcaster, APTL-1), and always used a 4-way switch. The only thing I did was lift the ground tab on the neck pup, solder a 3rd wire to that, which goes to ground on the volume pot, and reverse the positions of the white and black neck pup wires at the switch, not at the eyelets. This has always worked fine for me, and also provided RWRP operation for no hum in middle position.

5. jkats

jkats Tele-Meister

Yep, Sounds Right

In fact, I think I wrote it. That's how I have my 1969 Thinline Reissue wired, and how I've wired Duncans and Fender OV rhythm pickups in my MIJ Tele and Esquire Customs. (Kevin can chime in now, since I believe he uses the same configuration and wiring.)

6. fenderrookie

Wiring is not my specialty. Jkats, You did write it. I was not second guessing you, wiring kicks my butt. I have not tried the 4-way switch before. Where could I get a diagram?
    Thanks to all in advance. I owe ya all one!

7. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

error - eom

8. fenderrookie

Wrong spot

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.