Revisiting Mulholland Drive

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele salivas, Aug 16, 2015.

1. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Mulholland Drive is a pretty amazing work. There are countless critical theories and explorations of themes relative to the showbiz machine, Lynch's interweaving of time and space, the cowboy, the box, the old people, Betty as young and perky vs other Betty and what it all means, but I think what says just as much as anything else, if we're looking for a succinct statement and summary of message, is that we got Billy Ray Cyrus decking that director guy after getting busted with the guy's wife, in said director's own house.
    Way to go Billy Ray!

I like this flick and will probably watch it again next weekend.

2. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I like it too, for it's weirdness, mostly. I don't think it's profound like some people think, I think it's more Lynch going for weirdness for weirdness sake

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^ This.

Where are those apartments, LA people ?

All of that old Hollywood 1915-1940 stuff fascinates me.

Edit - question answered :

http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/m/mulholland.html#.VdCZEs44TCc

"Filmed around Los Angeles, Mulholland Drive was intended as the pilot for a TV series, à la Twin Peaks, and though hurriedly wrapped up to become a feature film, it’s still David Lynch at his nightmarish best."

5. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Maybe everyone knows this... but in the opening scene, where the camera "falls" into the red satin pillow, indicates to me that everything afterward is a dream.

the above starts at around 2:00 in this clip....

6. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    My favourite Lynch film.

7. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the heads up!
    I agree with those who also note the film as their favorite Lynch film. The emphatic references to film noir are something that establishes a great deal of vibe but it slowly winds into something else, and Toto understands, "we aren't in Kansas anymore". The time space thing was so well played by Lynch through that circular type structure , you can view this thing back to front and it would just about tell the same story.

I thought his contribution to the Lumiere and Company
    project was amazing.

8. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I remember stumbling onto a Lynch discussion forum newsgroup years ago, at least 10 years after this movie was released... and the people on the forum were STILL arguing about the movie.

9. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Yet another Lynch classic by "Jimmy Stewart from Mars" -Mel Brooks. It's film noir influence is quite apropos, with our local festival ongoing. I still recall my 1st encounter with his work, Eraserhead had just been released & a local critic warned potential viewers not to engage in hallucinogenics before watching the movie...well you what some us had to do? Ain't been quite the same, since.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.