Revisit - Bad Monkey

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by uriah1, Nov 20, 2013.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Was swappng in and out last week a couple boutique stomps...when
    for the heck of it, got out the old Bad Monkey, as OD2.

Well heck...that was pretty nice. Has separate bass and treb...
    Added nice roundness.

Think I will keep it on for a couple weeks, see if it works out, before I
    go back into the tone arena..

lol

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, I'm well acquainted with that tone arena. :lol:

3. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

Pretty much the best cheap overdrive EVER. Love mine!

4. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Tell you what, I've been thru all the boutiques.... my mainstay OD is an old FD2... but if for some reason I HAD to use a BM, not only would it NOT be the end of the world, but it would work just fine. I would actually PREFER the BM to quite a few boutiques I've owned...

5. Dunning~Kruger

Dunning~Kruger Banned

If you like the Bad Monkey but want something nicer that wont break the bank the CM-2 Tube Overdrive by digitech is frigging awesome.

Germandude seems to agree it is pretty kick ass, it is pretty much a better version of the Bad Monkey.

6. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

Yes...great tonal options, smooth grit, and strong build quality. I still love mine, even though I have stomps that cost five times as much. The BM holds it's own against any OD IMO.

7. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

That was my first pedal. The forum led me to it. They didn't steer me wrong.

8. italo

italo Tele-Meister

+1 !! THE overdrive for the frugal guitarrist.

9. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I agree, a great pedal but if you get a chance try the Ibanez TS7 as well.....although I am not sure they are still made. But in a direct comparison I prefer the TS7 to the BM.....to my ears and playing it has a tiny bit of something extra.

Not to knock the BM, my TS7 switch is a bit iffy/dodgy and no good for band practice/gigs cause it sometimes won't switch so I end up with the BM anyway!

But at home I do prefer the TS7.

Now I am tempted to try the Digitech Hardwire suggested above! (damn this forum :lol: )

10. italo

italo Tele-Meister

Mad Kiwi: I play the TS7 on top of my bad monkey !!. I prefer the Bad Monkey for mild overdrive as it gives more control on the bass. Full bore is the two of them together. Try it !

11. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

The Hardwire is like the Bad Monkey plus 30%* more everything. I found it on one of Amazon's 'what the hell?' sale prices for $62... just a bit more than a BM. And it's been really great... it's beaten back all challengers for over a year now (but it does sit next to a TS-7 on 'Hot' mode).

(*not an exact measurement)

12. Dunning~Kruger

Dunning~Kruger Banned

Yeah when I went of to purchase a overdrive pedal I gave the Bad Monkey a shot but I really wanted the TS9 to win. But right before I left I decided to use the Hardwire and give it a shot. Needless to say I was going to walk away with a BBE GreenScreamer cause it had it seemed a tad bit more gainy and it was on special. But the CM-2 had plenty of gain enough, more than the Ts9 but didnt sound as shrill as the BBE and still retained a solid sound like the TS9. It was right when they came out and they were 100$ a pop.

Plus with the CM-2 you can really dial in the perfect amount of bass and it dosent brake away fom the traditional TS sound at all.

It is actually more close to a Tubescreamer than my Green Rhino.

I have the CM-2 and it is out of commision, when I have the funds you damn well be sure I am going to send it to a tech in Hollywood to fix the sucker. The little classic/modern swith is a really nice touch and it is no gimmick. Really affects your tone and changes the sound infact, reallt dig the classic/modern switch on these.

The Digitech CM-2 Tube Overdrive is simply a godly pedal and yeah it found its way on my board for a reason ;)

13. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

I typically only keep a CM-2 and a Bad Monkey on my board for OD. After I bought the CM-2, I ditched the Bad Monkey for a while. After a few months I realized the Bad Monkey had some characteristics that the CM-2 was missing. I can't explain it (maybe more bass), so went back to both. The CM-2 is definitely better, but for practicing at lower levels, I prefer the Bad Monkey. Can't lose with either.

14. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

15. PaulStrattele

PaulStrattele Tele-Holic

Agreed. I think the BM and Ibanez FL-9 are the only pedals that have never been off my board.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.