Reversing clothing discrimination or a more fit nation?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, May 28, 2014.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

No more discrimination against the guy who got old but not fat!

After years of watching "medium" clothing become tent, I saw the Lands' End clothing I get for work have more offerings that fit well. I got an email about the Lands' End Slim Fit Shop. Nice! Decent stuff for dress casual that's less $ than Patagonia and more appropriate for office wear.

I hope it also means more people are not getting fat but am guessing the specialization might just mean meeting the needs of a particular demographic.

Regardless, very nice to get a round of new work clothes that's not flapping in the wind, 55 year old dressing in hipster skinny, or $100 for cotton shirts or pants.

:)

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Does this have anything to do with cargos and tees?

3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the tip. I am always looking for affordable business casual clothes that are more of a "slim" or "athletic" fit. Skinny jeans are for emaciated heroin addicts who chain smoke cigarettes so they don't work for someone with quadriceps...i.e., actually does some dead lifts and squats once in a while. I have a 16" neck, 32" sleeve, and the bodies on shirts that come with these dimensions are gigantic. I guess they think anyone with a 16" neck has a big belly, too. But if you lift weights and get in good shape what happens is you get a big neck and shoulders, but a skinny midsection.

4. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I love Land End.

5. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Really? A thread about how hard it is for skinny folk to find decent fitting clothes?

I've gotta forward this one to the 11 year old that eats one meal a day... that makes those clothes.

6. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

I have real issues getting clothes to fit me, I'm 6'5" and have quite long arms and legs

I can try on each size and by the time I find something with enough length in the body and sleeves it'll be a huge baggy 44"+ chest size and 40"+ waist.

Jackets and smart clothes I'll have taken in - but t-shirts and jeans I have to put up with.

I guess they'll either have to make lankier clothes, or I'll have to put on 100lbs.

7. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I ordered Slim Jims and it turned out to be little sausages. You just can't win.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It does seem kind of strange that clothing ads show six pack abs, but jackets and shirts have bigger waists than shoulders.

I have actually been finding sweaters with long enough sleeves in the past couple of years.
    I still have to resort to modifying jackets to keep the wind out...

9. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I bought a Rip Curl wetsuit vest in Hawaii. Grabbed the size I would in Australia and there was no way I coud get it on.

Grabbed the next size up. Too tight. A this stage I'm double checking the tags.

Turns out I'm two sizes bigger in America than in Australia. My wife is two sizes smaller in America than here.

10. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yep. American men want to be wearing a bigger size, because it shows how massive and manly we are.

American women want to be wearing a smaller size, because it shows how small and sexy they are.

Being an analyst, I want the number to be right and always equal what it is. But there's no pleasing "us who look past the advertising and the label".

11. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

In just one country, even inch measurements are miles apart...

Some stuff I've bought in the "same" size varies between not being able to be buttoned up and trousers falling down.

Sure they've always messed with the numbered sizes... but can an inch not be an inch?

12. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Clothing discrimination? It's amazing how words can become meaningless over time.

13. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Wow, now I've got another problem I didn't realize I had.

14. SpareRibs

SpareRibs Tele-Meister

Hello,
    It really shows in flannel shirts. If the sleeves fit the shirt is big enough for three people my size to fit into. The shoes are also a problem sold in multiple E width.

15. bikeracr

bikeracr Tele-Meister

The whole clothing fit thing is really a tale of two demographics. In general you have a portion of the nation that is continuing to grow more obese. This seems to be more concentrated in the South & in lower income levels. Conversely, you have professionals at higher income levels and/or persons on in urban areas who are better maintaining healthy weight than past generations. I would be interested in seeing the actual statistics on this.

The average clothing brand caters to the larger person. Case in point: there are fare fewer "slim" fit dress shirts than "regular" fit. As stated in the OP some brands are beginning to develop slimmer fits, but it is still not quite to the level that it should be.

16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I meant it with humor because I've worked with and work with people wearing stuff that would be a tent on me who complain they're discriminated against.

Yes on demographics.

I see that after we moved to a decent neighborhood, and where I have the privilege to be on two boards.

It was interesting but I had a meeting at noon today called by an engineer and attorney where it was over a bike ride. That was WAY away from my usual routine but interesting how they used their time to meet with time to exercise and eat. It was 4 middle aged men quite fit compared to my folks' generation at same age.

17. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

The new "golf course". Very cool.

18. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know what we are gonna do! I ordered some T's from Duluth, they make decent work clothes. I'm 200 lbs, 6-1, I usually wear XL, so that's what I ordered. They were giganto! I could fit my car into one of them. So, I sent them back, asked for L size. They arrived: still giganto. I measured the waist, it was 57 inches! It was a mu-mu! I could fit my waist into the sleeve. So finally, I spotted their "trim-size" option. Finally one that wouldn't catch the wind and lift me clean off the ground. Ah, thanks for the rant opportunity. I feel much better. So what do we call it? Fit-o-phobia?

19. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Got to say, that it's awfully hard to dig up sympathy for this cause.
    If you can't find a size that fits you in your normal size, go one size down.
    That's what the rest of the world does.

20. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

That's on accounta cuz you folks are robust. We are a pale, sheltered people.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.