1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

reversed switch plate

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Rockergirl21, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Rockergirl21

Rockergirl21 TDPRI Member

On my lovely Black Vintage Modified Tele, the switch plate is reversed. I'd like to turn it around to the normal set up. I know i need to turn the pup switch around-- but the pots? ...do I just switch their position? They'll still turn to go up and down in volume/tone the same way, right?

vm.jpg

TuxTele7work.jpg
    I had my guitar guy turn the switch plate around on the White One when he installed a bone nut and replaced a pup, Now on the Black One, I'd like to try to switch it around myself. I'd appreciate your help, Tele friends. :cool:

2. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

I've been wondering this with a CV50s too. I'll tag along with you on this thread :)

3. bxc1986

bxc1986 TDPRI Member

all your flipping is the plate, just move the switch forward and the pots back, no need to flip the pots and switch

4. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

Yup, just switch the position of the pots. They'll operate the right way.

5. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Look inside the rout and make sure it's full depth all the way. A lot of models have a "stepped" rout and won't allow for flipping the control plate without removing a little wood. If that's not the case, you're good to go.

6. Rockergirl21

Thanks guys!

Yeah, it's routed the same depth all the way.
    Guess it sounds really easy, I just am not an experienced modder,
    so I wanted to make sure I would mess things up!
    Thanks!
    :D

7. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I did the opposite with the tele I use for slide. Switch in the back. The pots will
    operate the same, but you need to switch them so the volume pot is closest to the neck, like all teles. Be carefull the wire is long enough or you'll break the solder joint.

8. LeroyBlues

LeroyBlues Tele-Holic

If the volume pot is the most forward pot on the control plate now, then you'll have to switch the pots. (this is most likely how it's set up) But it's easy, and I doubt you'll have any issues with the wires being to short. It's a good "mod" to start your "modding" career off with. Plus, you have a whole bunch of fellow modder's here to help you if you have any problems.

9. djlogan33

djlogan33 TDPRI Member

=====================================================

I've heard it's useful to reverse the switch plate and also switch the volume and tone knobs,
    so the volume is in front to make it easier for volume swells.

Has anyone else heard of this?

10. telepathetic

telepathetic Tele-Afflicted

To do it right...
    1. Revove plate.
    2. Reverse the switch.
    3. Swap volume and tone pots.
    4. Reverse and reinstal plate.

You may have to do a little soldering if there's not enough slack in the wires. All 5 of my Tele's are reversed and I love it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

You'd just be moving the position of the pots so that the volume pot is before the tone pot (as it normally is, closer to the neck end than bridge end of the body). I think that's how most people do it when they flip the plate? At any rate, I have one Tele with the reversed (plate, vol, tone, switch, in that order) and I dunno...it makes tone swells a little easier, but depending on where you pick, volume swells, not so much.

I like the reversed plate, but I'm starting to feel like it's cool but not all that helpful (nor detrimental) for me personally- just different. I flipped mine for easier tone swells, and like I said, it does help a little- but I think having pots that turn more easily would help just as much without flipping the plate, if that makes sense...

12. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

what's the point of the reverse control plate anyway. what are the benefits

13. Rockergirl21

yes

That's why they have it that way, but i do all my volume swells with a foot pedal, but it's hard for me to get to the pup switch back there where it is now...so I want it in the "real" position. I'll probably do this today when I get time, guess i COULD be doing it now...LOL!

14. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

Some feel it places the vol and tone knobs in a better position to do swells with, or makes them better accessible for their style of playing.

It's a pretty easy mod to do. Try it and see if you like it!

15. Rockergirl21

Thanks for all the responses.

I feel really good about doing it myself now. :D

16. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

I like middle position - both pups. No problem picking, but when I want to bash out chords I always knock the switch to the bridge position. I suppose I could strum further from from the bridge, but I'd like to try the reverse control plate to put the switch out of reach. It looks like the vol knob should be just a bit easier to wrap my pinkie around for pedal steel type volume swells as well.

Good luck with your modding!

17. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I've tried the reversed control plate for this very reason, but I switch pickups more than I do volume swells. In fact, I don't do volume swells. So I put it back the right way round and tried the bent switch trick a la Danny Gatton. I was surprised to find that it works nicely to keep the switch out of my way.

18. telepathetic

telepathetic Tele-Afflicted

I like it because the knobs are easier to get to and the switch is out of the way. I reversed mine after seeing Bill Kirchen.
    [​IMG]

He was doing some great "pedal steel sounding" stuff playing descending maj 7 chords and using the volume.

19. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

I tried mine reversed but felt that the knobs got in the way more than the switch ever did. With the plate normal, at least the switch is out of the way when it's in the bridge position. When the control plate is reversed the volume knob is ALWAYS in the way.

20. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

And this guy does awesome vol and tone swells with the std plate configuration.

6...half dozen...YMMV, etc

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.