Reversed Control Plate Issue

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DekeDog, May 14, 2019.

1. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

As I've said in most of my other posts, I had a guitar tech install a pair of Fralin Steel Pole 42 pickups in my 2007, American Series Tele. The tech also installed a new control plate, which is reversed, that also came from Lindy's shop. When I got the guitar back from the tech and got it home, I noticed the control plate was not sitting flush with the guitar's surface. At first, I thought it might be wires getting in the way, then maybe screws were skewed pushing the plate up. Then I realized that the floor of the cavity holding the hardware on the control plate was not cut deep enough on the PU selector switch side. It was not a problem cutting the floor of the cavity about an eighth inch deeper with a wood carving tool so that the switch could set lower and the plate lay flush to the surface.

While I was trying to figure out the problem I called Fralin's shop and spoke directly with Lindy. This was the first time he'd heard the problem. And though I didn't actually solve the problem with Lindy over the phone, I was impressed and grateful that he took the time to help me figure it out. But I also post this as a warning to those who have a similar experience that if you are planning on making that mod, you might want to check this out before taking the IQ test it took me longer than it should have to solve.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    joealso likes this.
  2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Most MIM guitars have a shelf in their control cavities as well. I had a person who wanted the plate turned around and we ran into that issue. A little router work later and we were all good.

DekeDog likes this.
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I don't think the pickups or the parts from Fralin are to blame. There usually a deeper spot under the default switch routing so if you reverse the plate the switch might bottom out, causing the need to carve out some extra area on the other end. Surprised the "tech" didn't mention this and returned a guitar in such condition.

zephyrR1, hellopike and DekeDog like this.
  4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Some guitars are routed deeper on the switch end. Some switches are deeper than others. Often it can be solved by bending the switch lugs on the bottom straight out at a 90 degree angle.

DekeDog likes this.
  5. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I agree, and I let him know I was not happy.

corliss1 likes this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I had a similar problem installing N4 pickups with an S1 switch. The control cavity route in my MIM wasn’t deep enough for the switch. The problem was solved with a Dremel and a small wood chisel. The problem with pickup routes not being deep enough for the adjustment screws on stacked single coils was solved with a 3/16 wood drill bit. This is all part of modding. Done well, the result is usually worth it.

DekeDog likes this.
  7. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I agree. I used a wood chisel, and though the results were not pretty, once it was covered by the control plate, it looked great. I'm not worried about resale or decreasing the value. The fact is, this guitar is much better now than it ever was.

SuprHtr likes this.
  8. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Lindy is awesome. I called the shop to discuss pickups for my Tele and he answered the phone. After a brief discussion he recommended his Tele Blues Specials. I love them and have been playing them for several years now.

DekeDog and joealso like this.
  9. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I had a plate that was just bowed. Bent it a little the other way and it was fine.

DekeDog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.