LutherBurger

Poster Extraordinaire
View attachment 987813 View attachment 987814 View attachment 987815 View attachment 987816 View attachment 987817

Not the greatest pictures (don't have a workstation right now, having to clean up between work sessions) but tried to get everything in there. Jack isn't pictured, I can fish that back out tomorrow
The connections appear to be in the right places. Don't worry too much about the connection between the switch and the volume pot not matching the diagram -- it can be connected at either end of that series of jumpers on the switch.

Now I'm thinking about the jack again. It shouldn't buzz, then get quiet when you touch the +. I think it should be quiet, and then buzz when you touch the +, just like a cable that's plugged into an amp. Please quadruple-check to be sure the leads aren't reversed.

wetwillis17

TDPRI Member
The connections appear to be in the right places. Don't worry too much about the connection between the switch and the volume pot not matching the diagram -- it can be connected at either end of that series of jumpers on the switch.

Now I'm thinking about the jack again. It shouldn't buzz, then get quiet when you touch the +. I think it should be quiet, and then buzz when you touch the +, just like a cable that's plugged into an amp. Please quadruple-check to be sure the leads aren't reversed.
I did a dummy check and swapped the leads on the jack, just in case they were wrong. That's when I got the cycle hum, big and loud. So I'm confident in the connections are in the right place. Ill quadruple check my wiring against that last diagram and really make sure the jack connections are good. Otherwise, I might go find another Jack? I don't want to blame the parts but at this point I'm not sure what else to do.

wetwillis17

TDPRI Member
If your wires are wired like this then it is correct. If not, then time to get out the soldering iron again. I think you may have wired your switch wrong.
This is the diagram I was originally using before I demented the switch. I'm getting things back out now to absolutely point to point make sure I have this right, test the jack connections, and pray.

LutherBurger

Poster Extraordinaire
I did a dummy check and swapped the leads on the jack, just in case they were wrong. That's when I got the cycle hum, big and loud. So I'm confident in the connections are in the right place. Ill quadruple check my wiring against that last diagram and really make sure the jack connections are good. Otherwise, I might go find another Jack? I don't want to blame the parts but at this point I'm not sure what else to do.
It's unlikely that the jack is faulty, unless there's something linking the + and - together, like loose shielding or a misplaced blob of solder. Keep poking around, I think you're very close.

Billy3

Tele-Afflicted
When you reverse the control plate, the switch certainly does rotate. You need to flip it again to have it in the same orientation that it was in before. Obviously, you can use it without flipping it, but it's counterintuitive to throw the switch toward the neck to select the bridge pickup and vice versa.
It actually depends on whether or not you take the switch off the control plate before you turn it 180°. BTW. To the op, If you have a multimeter, problems will be easier to locate. Everyone doing wiring on a guitar, or any electric guitar player for that matter, should own one. It's a must have. Even a cheap one will work for home use.

Last edited:

wetwillis17

TDPRI Member
It's unlikely that the jack is faulty, unless there's something linking the + and - together, like loose shielding or a misplaced blob of solder. Keep poking around, I think you're very close.
I've got it exactly like the fralin diagram sent earlier, thank you thegaijin, and I've quintuple checked my Jack... But it's still the same. I took some more pictures and a short video, now I'm sure the pickups are not responding properly, even when I hold the jack as I've mentioned.

Link to video:
5B03562D-235D-49C9-9270-163418C15CC8.jpeg
F41367B2-5120-42F7-88A5-836CEE2C6DEE.jpeg
C0937D18-BDDD-48D0-AD93-0A195C266DEE.jpeg
AB1A1A4B-A386-4E99-A32C-10560C2ABD82.jpeg

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
When you reverse the control plate, the switch certainly does rotate. You need to flip it again to have it in the same orientation that it was in before. Obviously, you can use it without flipping it, but it's counterintuitive to throw the switch toward the neck to select the bridge pickup and vice versa.

If you take a wired control plate and try spin it around, that's the least efficient and most confusing way to do it. Unscrew the switch and take nuts off the pots. Shift the pots and shift the switch. Desolder the volume input (switch output) if needed, or any wires that are too short.

if you're starting from scratch. The switch is simply in a different place.

wetwillis17

TDPRI Member
If you take a wired control plate and try spin it around, that's the least efficient and most confusing way to do it. Unscrew the switch and take nuts off the pots. Shift the pots and shift the switch. Desolder the volume input (switch output) if needed, or any wires that are too short.

if you're starting from scratch. The switch is simply in a different place.
I think I've got it set up right but no luck, do you see anything wrong with what I've done here?

LutherBurger

Poster Extraordinaire
I've got it exactly like the fralin diagram sent earlier, thank you thegaijin, and I've quintuple checked my Jack... But it's still the same. I took some more pictures and a short video, now I'm sure the pickups are not responding properly, even when I hold the jack as I've mentioned.

Link to video:
View attachment 987954 View attachment 987955 View attachment 987956 View attachment 987962

Your connections all appear to be in the right places. In each switch position, touch each pickup with a screwdriver tip or other steel object. Can you hear the tapping through the amp? You should hear the bridge pickup in 1&2, and the neck pickup in 2&3.

wetwillis17

TDPRI Member
It actually depends on whether or not you take the switch off the control plate before you turn it 180°. BTW. To the op, If you have a multimeter, problems will be easier to locate. Everyone doing wiring on a guitar, or any electric guitar player for that matter, should own one. It's a must have. Even a cheap one will work for home use.
Got out the meter, thank you for the reminder. I'm not good at doing things in the right order sometimes.
Meter results: nothing when volume pot SHOULD BE turned up, but I get pickup signal when the vol is what I think would be all the way down. If I switch the outside lugs on the volume pot will that solve my issue? At least in terms of volume pot... Could be my whole problem

wetwillis17

TDPRI Member
Your connections all appear to be in the right places. In each switch position, touch each pickup with a screwdriver tip or other steel object. Can you hear the tapping through the amp? You should hear the bridge pickup in 1&2, and the neck pickup in 2&3.
No tapping from the amp. I think my volume pot is backwards, even though it's the same as the diagram? Could this be?

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
Thank you, Captain Obvious:

"It actually depends on whether or not you take the switch off the control plate before you turn it 180°. BTW."

wetwillis17

TDPRI Member
Your grounds could be an issue. Not to criticize your soldering, but it doesn't look like you got good wetting on the back of the pots, like your tip isn't big enough and/or your iron wasn't hot enough.
I am very new to this and do appreciate the criticism! I might try the grounds again with a bigger tip!

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Thank you, Captain Obvious:

"It actually depends on whether or not you take the switch off the control plate before you turn it 180°. BTW."

It may not be obvious to some which is why it's has been mentioned. Thinking about rotating the whole control plate is the easiest way for someone to get confused.

Last edited:

wetwillis17

TDPRI Member
No, it's wired correctly. If the shaft is turned fully clockwise, you should hear both pickups.
I'm getting no sound or multimeter resistance with the knobs clockwise, but with vol counterclockwise I get a resistance reading (vs OL). Could this be a ground problem then if it's wired correctly?