Reverse controls

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by oceanblue, Aug 12, 2019.

1. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Just ordered a satin black tele body from Warmoth for another build, and I'm considering reversing the controls, selector switch to the rear, volume up front. I do on occasion hit the selector on my other tele when strumming, flipping it to the bridge unbeknownst to me when it was on the neck or middle postion ;)

Also maybe an angled selector switch.

So I'm curious, how many of you have reversed the controls? If so, any downside to it? Having the volume closest seems actually to make the most sense.

idjster likes this.
  2. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

I prefer it this way as I always seem to hit the switch otherwise.
    The only downside is trying to wire it up reverse from a diagram that isn’t for a reversed.

Doctorx33 likes this.
  3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Seems to be a popular mod. No real downside I can think of, other than the switch being farther away, but presumably you're ok with that.

Aside form that there's the issue of flipping the switch around (so that pointing toward the neck = neck position, etc.). and switching the pots (assuming you want volume closest to the neck and tone behind that. I don't see a problem there, just a little extra work, assuming the wiring is all long enough to work with and for the parts to be in their new positions.

AxemanVR and oceanblue like this.
  4. Hound Dog

Hound Dog TDPRI Member

706EA287-DE3E-4C37-AA18-BDD845B295CE.jpeg To me it just makes sense as you’re apparently thinking also.
    One other possible issue you may have is the depths of the hot dog rout. The switch requires more depth than the pots. If yours is routed for switch depth on only one side you would need to take a router to it. It’s quick and easy.
    If it’s a decent wiring job there should be enough length to move pots and switch but it may be close.

oceanblue likes this.
  5. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

Always switch all of mine; I ride the volume knob a lot when I play. Only trouble I've run into in the past has been wire length when turning around the switch. Easy to overcome though.

6. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm another proponent. It makes volume & tone swells easier & I find no downside.

7. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

I have all of my Tele's/ ASAT's etc, set up this way. I'm not a big volume swell guy, my tech did it accidentally one day thinking that I asked him to do it and once I liked it, it stuck.

8. JMac52

JMac52 Tele-Meister

I tried it but kept hitting the volume knob inadvertently. I never noticed hitting the switch in standard placement because I didn’t knock it to a different position. I probably could have learned my out of the problem, but I just changed it back.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I do the mod on all mine too. When I see a regular arranged Tele I think it looks weird now. If you are flipping the control plate around I wouldn't bother trying to get an angled switch slot. If you are trying Volume-Switch-Tone then maybe the angle helps but just rotating the whole plate around is enough of a fix.

While you're in there ... get a 4-way switch installed and change the pair of wires to the jack with shielded cable (that's about 50% of idle noise floor).

This is who I learned rotating the control plate from:

oceanblue likes this.
  10. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I seem to recall accidentally bumping the selector switch perhaps a time or two, way back when I got my first Tele (over 20 years ago) but I must have adjusted my playing and haven’t done it since then, so it’s pretty much a non-issue for me.

Of course there’s really nothing wrong with reversing it either...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

when i bought my squire affinity , the first thing I did was open her up remove all the asian controls replaced with CTS pots and fender switch ,replace the green chicklet with an orange drop and reversed the control plate , this is the first fender guitar I have ever owned that I loved the pickups , the setup ,action , string height were perfect , the cheap controls and crap wire went ,right now!

12. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

13. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

I did something a bit different.

IMG_4039.jpg

14. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I have tried it and don't like it. I find that when the controls are reversed my hand naturally falls onto the tone knob instead of the volume knob.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  15. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

I've never done it to my guitars but the ones I've played have been ok, just taking a bit of time to get used to locations.

Aside - You know, when I think about it, the only reason that we see them the way they are is that's 'the way it's always been'. A guitar should reflect our own preferences, so reversed controls, controls like Telecentrics or even completely reversed controls like people who play a right-handed guitar lefty are really the choice of the user. All I should care about is how easy it is for me to use it and how it affects the sound. I'm sure that's what the original idea was anyway.

oceanblue likes this.
  16. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

17. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

ok... where can one get that control plate with switch in the middle??

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

From my surf guitar years of making swells with my pinky on a strat or 335, it was the tipping point for getting the MIM FSR Reverse Control tele. The only downside is trying out other teles, takes a bit of getting used to. I'd hate to hit that switch while strumming.

19. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

I tried to buy one, searched forever and finally found one (don't remember the company off hand). I ordered it, and a week later they refunded my money and said they were out of stock and would no longer be available.

I ended up making it myself from a blank plate. Snapped the end mill I bought to make the slot on the first pass, ended up drilling a line of holes and used a jewlers file to connect them. It was not fun, but in the end it was worth it.

20. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

As a lifelong Telecaster player, I thought I'd love the reversed control plate. I love doing volume swells, so I thought that the reversed plate would make that easier. Well, muscle memory got in the way. I just couldn't get used to the feeling of the switched control plate. I had to change it back to standard. I still like the idea, my hands just didn't like the execution. If it works for you, I think its a great mod.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.