1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reverse Control Plate.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

I had a Deluxe Nashville that the original owner had reversed the control plate, and I quickly learned to like it.

Please note that I'm new to playing (if what I do would be considered "playing" :)) the guitar, so I don't have any old habits that would be hard to break :)

My main guitar is a 2014 RW 50's that has '51 Nocaster pickups, and the control plate is a Custom Shop Blender Plate.

That being the case, that means that in the traditional control plate arrangement, from top to bottom, the 3-way switch is on top, with the volume knob under that, and under that is the knob that blends the amount of neck pickup I want blended with the bridge pickup.

So I'm wanting to reverse the control plate, but if I do, that means the switch will now be on the bottom, and the selector switch will now be reversed as well, so that means all the way forward (to the left) will now be for selecting the bridge pickup.

Now I understand from a layout perspective, that is reverse logic because the neck pickup is forward/up, and the bridge pickup is down/back on the guitar body.

But as the blend control only blends the bridge and neck pickup, and that's my favorite position to use because I can get some great tones not possible by having the traditional tone control that backs off the high end of both pickup's, I'm curious if any of you have the selector switch reversed as well.

Thoughts and comments?

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

I reversed my plate but also changed the knob order and made the switch normal orientation.

its not really ‘reversing’ the whole assembly, just the plate and redoing the pot & switch order.

volume knob is nearer my pinky now, not in the middle

Mine has a 4 way switch and I also swapped the serial position from the end to one of the middle positions so the classic tele tones can be reached by slamming the switch to the ends.

NicDo, skydog6653 and wrvond like this.
  3. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Holic

I roll my own.

Stiles likes this.
  4. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Holic

0614191818a.jpg

mfguitar, Jlwctn and Bella like this.
  5. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I have 2 Tele's, 1 is a partscaster, and I reversed the control plate, but I also flipped the switch, so forward is still the neck pickup. The 2nd Tele is a MIM FSR BSB ash body, with the control plate coming reversed from the factory, and the switching is the same as the partscaster. I love them both!
    Tele9.JPG BSB 2.jpg

6. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

If I reposition the knobs and reverse the switch, the existing wire's won't be long enough.

What the best wire/gauge to use?

Jlwctn likes this.
  7. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Best doesn't really answer the question.

Vintage cloth pushback wire is stranded 22AWG.

I've used 22, 24, 26, 28, stranded, solid, insulated, not insulated, all on the same control plate.

I believe the stock Fender wire on the Road Worn is 22, and the insulation is really rubbery, not cloth.

Parts are cheap enough that I might make a whole new control plate and leave the road worn plate alone, but for removing the pickup wires.

[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

djh22 and Deeve like this.
  8. skydog6653

skydog6653 Tele-Meister

Bill Kirchen describes it best!

DaveG_NJ likes this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Here's mine. Esquire Humbucker with separate bobbins to a 4-way switch. Vol-Tone-Switch. Switch set up for neck/parallel/bridge/humbucker.

[​IMG]

Jlwctn likes this.
  10. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like the idea of setting up a separate plate w/ new pots & switch, then desoldering the pre-existing loaded plate, so there's a fast return to normalcy if the "new" way doesn't bring joy.
    Smart.
    Hive-brain tdpri - thanks

Peace - Deeve

mfguitar, tvvoodoo and Jlwctn like this.
  11. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Here's the culprit, and it appears to me that there is a LOT going on that I will have to address when reversing/moving everything :) Control Plate 2.jpg Control Plate 1.jpg

12. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

I'm doubling down on my earlier post.

Check those pickups.... Confirm they are RWRP.

It was my understanding that the Nocaster pickups are RWRP.

It will be easy to desolder the correct wires then as the pickup wires are cloth pushback.

IF that were my guitar, I would definitely start with a new control plate, potentiometer, cloth pushback wire, capacitor AND a four-way switch! I'd really want to take advantage of those hum cancelling Nocaster pickups and give me parallel and series.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

mfguitar likes this.
  13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I hate the volume knob being so far away while playing. I even fudged it a little towards the music. Recently bought a strat, it’s where god intended the volume knob to be...

179FD335-33F5-4371-A784-FF139F5AB298.jpeg 0788B4F0-6C01-4CE0-B458-CF8BE701308E.jpeg AE385FDE-AB86-406B-BCE6-312E0AFE82C0.jpeg

Jlwctn, tubelectron and jfgesquire like this.
  14. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

Go hybrid

IMG_4039.jpg

15. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

1) The pu's are wired as per Fender's Broadcater/Nocaster Blend Circuit Diagram.
    2) Where can I buy your aforementioned assembled new control plate?

Please note that I have a relic'd control plate, and I will use it instead of a shiny new one, and I want to be able to use the blend control.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  16. Perfesser

Perfesser TDPRI Member

From front to back, my reverse-plate tele has the volume pot (easy pinky swells), tone pot with push switch to split the neck humbucker or not, then three-position pickup switch. Nice range and versatility on this one.

17. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

Best mod I ever did. Oh, apart from getting a bridge plate without those horrible edges. And a strat switch tip.
    WP_20170125_12_59_25_Rich.jpg

Attached Files:

casey2910 likes this.
  18. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

I do not find the Tele plate very practical, because the knob tip comes too close to the volume pot knob in the backwards position... Maybe I'll reverse the control plate of my CV50... o_O

For a 3-PU personal build, I opted for a multi-switch solution based on a modified Tele plate ;) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  19. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

Hey I recognize that guitar! I've listened to Telepath so many times.

Anyway, sorry to divert. I have a regular control plate.

4pickupguy likes this.
  20. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Tele-Meister

I find it confusing to switch between all the various permutations of standard, 4-way, reversed, flipped, etc. On any guitar I keep, my preference is (starting at the front/neck and moving toward the back/bridge):

1) Volume knob
    2) Push-pull tone knob (pull = series)
    3) 3-way switch with neck position = neck, middle = middle, bridge = bridge

I've had many 4-ways that had never had a consistent placement of the series wiring. The push-pull with a standard 3-way in a flipped manner seems the most intuitive to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.