1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reverse control plate on American Pro?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by JohnnyKRed, Oct 11, 2020.

1. JohnnyKRed

JohnnyKRed TDPRI Member

Hello, I want to reverse the control plate on my 2017 pro tele (so tone and vol are closer to the neck). Tried to do a quick 180 on it but the pickup switch will not fit onto the shallow end of the routed pocket/cavity (it is not the same depth throughout). Not quite committed to removing material and rewiring too much at this point. Anyone been able to do an easy fix on this? Think I saw one note online about an angled pickup switch. More on that, or other ideas? Thanks! John

Boreas likes this.
  2. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I hate to have to be the one to tell you, but, if it ain't deep enough, it ain't deep enough.

casey2910 and JohnnyKRed like this.
  3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Yeah if the depth isn't there that'll be tough. I've been looking for a good low profile switch for a a baby Tele I'm building where I just don't have the depth for a CRL switch. But haven't found much.

Boreas and JohnnyKRed like this.
  4. MLHull

MLHull TDPRI Member

Take a look at the Kaish Heavy Duty 3 way switch on Amazon. I have no personal experience with these but it looks sturdy and gets good reviews.

JohnnyKRed and Boreas like this.
  5. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

Why not? It should take 3 minutes with a drill and/or a wood chisel to make room. If you don't want that, I suppose the only other solution would be rewiring. I've used angled three way switches (LP-style) used in SGs and other typical thinner bodies. You'd obviously need to modify the control plate/get a new one for the last one.

Btw, I have reversed controls on all my teles except one, but they are all partscasters and routed to fit standard controls either way. I sincerely support your desire to do the switcharoo.
    Leo certainly didn't get it right the first time.

Boreas and JohnnyKRed like this.
  6. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have installed several and they are a good switch and easy to wire. I don't offhand know if it is lower profile, but the terminals would be less likely to add to the depth. Often, a CRL can be soldered in a way to lower the profile as well. I don't know if the OP has tried this. I have only tried a reverse plate on a Bullet Tele and it worked fine, although I ended up not liking it and switching back.

MLHull and JohnnyKRed like this.
  7. JohnnyKRed

JohnnyKRed TDPRI Member

It’s so close, but it ain’t deep enough! Haha, thanks.

Boreas likes this.
  8. JohnnyKRed

JohnnyKRed TDPRI Member

That’s a good idea. Thanks. Want to try and keep it the original switch, so might have to look at modifying it.

Boreas likes this.
  9. JohnnyKRed

JohnnyKRed TDPRI Member

It sure is close. Could channel a bit of material to sneak it in. Some kind of ground or something in the way (a bit), but if I get a pro to look at it they might know how to get around that. Thanks!

10. JohnnyKRed

JohnnyKRed TDPRI Member

Yes, wires are in the way to a small extent, so if I could reconfigure the wiring a bit that would be the best option. Maybe have to do that in combination with a small amount of material removed to make a bit of space? Thanks! Will ask around a bit at my local shops. See if someone can look at it. Thanks all!!

Boreas likes this.
  11. JohnnyKRed

JohnnyKRed TDPRI Member

Good idea to re solder to make a bit of extra space. Thanks!

Boreas likes this.
  12. Boreas

Some people bend the tabs down as well, then solder at a right angle or pr parallel to the plane of the body.

Another trick for tight spaces is to use more flexible wire with silicone insulation. I don't really like it because it doesn't stay put, but I have used it once or twice.

You may need to alter the leads from the output jack. If they are especially heavy or down at the bottom of the channel, they may be in the way. Eliminate any excess wire and leave just enough to remove the plate comfortably.

JohnnyKRed likes this.
  13. Boreas

Did you re-wire the switch? Keep in mind you have to rewire or keep the switch in its original orientation, or it will work bassackwards. You can't just rotate the plate 180 degrees.

14. JohnnyKRed

JohnnyKRed TDPRI Member

As I understand it you can turn it upside down pretty easily, and swap the position of the knobs.

15. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If you are handy, you could make a control plate out of wood (or perhaps buy a metal one if you have the tools to cut it) that is just slightly thicker than the extra space needed, then cut out the middle and use it under the current plate to provide the extra height needed.

No permanent alterations to your guitar at all. I used a similar item for electrical socket back boxes which were not deep enough for new sockets. It saved damaging the plaster on the wall!

16. Boreas

If you rotate the plate only 180 degrees, the T control will be at your fingertips and the V control will still be in the middle. If you have enough original wire, you can move the pots to the correct spot - usually with V at the front. But the switch will still be wired so that when forward it will give you the bridge pup and backward will give you the neck. you probably already know these things, but I just wanted you to make sure you get it wired properly before you spend too much time trying to get it to fit. Otherwise you will need to start over and rewire where necessary. Usually the stock wires aren't long enough just to rotate things around.

JohnnyKRed likes this.
  17. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

It amazes me that Fender doesn't rout out the control cavity to a standard depth that would make it easy to reverse the plate. I just recently made this adjustment to one of my partcasters with a 2017 Deluxe Nashville body. You can do it with a Dremel. I prefer the reversed control plate, and I'm not going to let Fender stand in my way.

18. Boreas

I took the time and money and just built a separate reverse plate set-up. Now I can swap it in/out of most of my Teles easily. But I suspect it is going to collect dust since I didn't care for it much. I don't do swells...

19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Unscrew the pots and switch from the plate, Rotate the plate, move and attach the Vol/Tone/Switch to the rear (the switch retains the same orientation as it did prior where switch forward is neck and back is bridge).

Sometimes one of the wires to the switch is too short by about an inch so you have to splice it.

Sometimes the cavity is too short and you need to bend the switch tabs 'up' off the cavity floor. If a big slobbery solder blob is on the tabs you'll need to heat them up and bend while warm and recheck wires to that tab are still soldered well after it cools.

JohnnyKRed likes this.
  20. JohnnyKRed

JohnnyKRed TDPRI Member

Lots of good advice! Thanks all!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.