Reverse control plate 4 way alternate wiring diagram?

ledvedder

Tele-Meister
I want to wire my Tele with a 4 way switch and reverse control plate. I'd like to have the 4 way selection bridge, bridge-neck parallel, bridge-neck series, neck. Does anyone know of a wiring diagram for this configuration?

BCblues55

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I believe this will get you there. Many thanks to the original poster (whose ID I have sadly forgotten).
IMG_0796.jpeg

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
I want to wire my Tele with a 4 way switch and reverse control plate. I'd like to have the 4 way selection bridge, bridge-neck parallel, bridge-neck series, neck. Does anyone know of a wiring diagram for this configuration?

This Fralin diagram shows the configuration you want, but not on a reversed plate. But if you keep the tone and volume the same and then move the switch to the other side, keeping the connections that bridge everything, going to their respective locations, you should have it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221101_104443.jpg
    Screenshot_20221101_104443.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 22

ledvedder

Tele-Meister
Ok, so I want the bridge pickup connection closest to the tone pot when I swap it to the other side? That's the part that always screws me up.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
Ok, so I want the bridge pickup connection closest to the tone pot when I swap it to the other side? That's the part that always screws me up.

Yeah looks that way. Don't flip the switchor re-orient it, because whether it's a reverse or normal bridge still points back, and neck still points towards the neck. The only reversing that is done is just putting the volume and tone further forward.

ledvedder

Tele-Meister
Ok, I've hooked everything up like the above diagram. Positions 2, 3, and 4 work as expected. I'm getting nothing in position 1. I've also tried this other diagram I found, which is almost the same, except doesn't have the jumper wire. I've triple checked my wiring. Any ideas?
20221102_174226.jpg
20221102_174246.jpg
Alternative-4-way-Tele-switch-wiring_1024x1024.png

ledvedder

Tele-Meister
I figured out that it's actually the switch tip hitting the control plate screw, and not the control plate slot size. It works if I take the tip off, it works.

sjtalon

Doctor of Teleocity
Acually FILED a bevel to clear the screw heads. So the lever length is short in my case here.........must be a thick pickguard.

I had to cut the pickguard slot length a tad too (plastic, so just used a sharp knife) ........hense getting into the screwheads on 1&4.

Any others I had issues with were just a matter of a few strokes using a real fine tooth hacksaw blade- lengthen the control plate slot.

I have installed quite a few of these 4Ws, for myself and some other folks, guitars I flipped as well. I would say I only had trouble with 3-4 of them.

Attachments

• IMG_2412.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2410.jpg
    IMG_2410.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
I had to cut a little off the (lead edge) bottom skirt of my tip on the 4W I put in my Squier CV Thinline.

Had to do the same on a Les Paul 3 way switch. The bottom hit the ring that screws down and holds the switch in place. So I just sanded it down until it went all the way over.

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
I figured it out. The control plate slot didn't have enough opening for the 1st position on the switch to engage.
This is funny to me, I installed a 6 way on two identical strats, with the same exact issue, took me awhile to find it was a mechanical thing not a goof in my wiring.