Reverse Audio Taper Hack

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by SSL9000J, Oct 17, 2018.

1. SSL9000J

SSL9000J Tele-Meister

Greetings! Whilst sourcing parts for a Vibro-Champ clone currently under construction, I found myself vexed by the scarcity of options when it comes to the infamous reverse audio pots for the tremolo circuit. Particularly because the amplifier is going inside a wood speaker cabinet with the controls on top, necessitating longer bushings on the potentiometers. Not a big deal for 250K or 1meg audio taper, and I'll even accept a 25K linear if it fits. But that confounded 3meg reverse audio!

So anyway, I found this helpful resource that seemed worth sharing. (It's an article titled "The Secret Life of Pots.") The author, R.G.Keen, tells you everything you ever wanted to know about potentiometers but were afraid to ask. About halfway through, he explains different types of tapers, and how to modify them by adding a resistor to the pot, creating a voltage divider. It's a bit technical and there's math :eek: but useful for tinkerers such as we.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

robrob, AAT65 and RodeoTex like this.
  2. wanderin kind

wanderin kind Tele-Meister

cool stuff, thanks!

James Brown uses that in the 72 Coupe>

r.gif

3. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You could of course just use the readily available CTS 3M reverse taper, and extend the shaft with a shaft coupler.

Mr Ridesglide and SSL9000J like this.
  4. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

...however, it is NICE a 'trick' for the DIY amp designer/builders to be able to "tweek" the response (change-vs-rotation) of his/her's amplifiers.

5. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have mixed/matched shafts/wipers to get the characteristics I needed.
    I recently had to "make" a pot to fit an old SS amp with a "spider" type mounting, and an SAE thread.

SSL9000J likes this.
  6. wanderin kind

wanderin kind Tele-Meister

you could also custom build a stepped rotary switch with fixed values, these makes repeating the same speed easy, dial in the resistor for Born on the Bayou and then the resistor for Scratch My Back and you hit the note every night,

ce24, Bill Moore and SSL9000J like this.
  7. SSL9000J

SSL9000J Tele-Meister

True, although the challenge with mounting the pots directly to the cabinet isn't so much the shaft being too short as the bushing not having long enough threads to reach all the way through the wood.
    IMG_20181018_075332.jpg
    I may try to mount the pots to a metal plate and attach it to the inside of the cabinet, if all else fails. (Top pot is actually a Clarostat 2M linear. Scored a box of them off FleaBay a while back for something like 16 bucks.)
    Great idea! Might have to practice on a few expendable pots first.
    Let's not forget "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night!" I thought about this too.
    A wealth of great ideas on this forum, as always. Many thanks!

PS - here's the cabinet. It's... had a few previous conversion attempts.
    IMG_20181018_080758.jpg

LudwigvonBirk likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.