Reverend Reeves Gabrels?

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Anyone played one of these. I just learned about them and am kind of GAS-ing.

https://reverendguitars.com/guitars/reeves-gabrels-signature/

reverend-reeves_gabrels_signature-satin_orange_flame_maple-guitar-front.png

omahaaudio

Friend of Leo's
Anyone played one of these. I just learned about them and am kind of GAS-ing.

https://reverendguitars.com/guitars/reeves-gabrels-signature/

View attachment 940760
I got one of these. P90s rock.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I got one of these. P90s rock.

How is the neck on it?
Do you like the Bass Contour control?

omahaaudio

Friend of Leo's
How is the neck on it?
Do you like the Bass Contour control?
The neck on mine (with a pau ferro fretboard) is excellent. Very comfortable.
The bass contour control really makes the guitar something special. With it "full on" you've got the typical p90 near-humbucker-but better (IMO) "chug" and if you roll off the bass you can get near-Tele-single-coil sounds.
It's a very versatile guitar and very well made.

rockymtnguitar

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I haven't played that one but have a Reverend DAW and love the bass contour. Really gives a lot of versatility. And Friday I ordered a Flatroc from Wildwood - should arrived in a couple of days. Build quality of Revs is great and lots of common sense stuff. I really like the neck. Great feel.

John C

Friend of Leo's
I kind of like this concept. Telecaster meets Jazzmaster meets Stratocaster.

I've not played the Gabrels model but I've played a few Reverends with that body style and it is very comfortable. It's kind of like an EBMM or a Wolfgang where everything is slightly shifted to the right.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
The bass contour control is great. One came stock on my Reverend Tricky Gomez and I put one in my Strat (it takes up one tone control spot, so it now has a master bass cut and master treble cut). Like any tone control you can change pots and caps to taste. The cap will define the cutoff point as in a "normal" tone control. A 500k pot (which my Reverend came with) will bring on a more sudden cutoff as you turn down, while a 1meg will be more gradual.

Regardless, bass cut controls are dead useful on any guitar that has any kind of "thickness" to its sound. It provides a different way to clean up your tone without as obvious a drop in volume. And it's fun to fine-tune the bass and treble cuts to play with the balance between low end, high end and the undisturbed middle.

No comment on the particular model as I haven't played one, but I've never heard or read the phrase "Reverends suck", so there's that. I do love mine.

I see you're in Tampa. Weren't you in Miami before? I'm in Miami, so if you're ever here and want to try out a guitar with a bass cut control I'd be happy to meet you at a store so you can try it out.

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
I have the Reverend Reeves Gabrels Dirtbike and it’s a fantastic guitar. With the bass contour it’s the most versatile single pickup guitar I’ve ever owned. I have 4 Reverends and they are all well made, great sounding guitars.
6D9B4BB6-C61E-4388-8626-C6E324E1BF30.jpeg

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
The bass contour control is great. One came stock on my Reverend Tricky Gomez and I put one in my Strat (it takes up one tone control spot, so it now has a master bass cut and master treble cut). Like any tone control you can change pots and caps to taste. The cap will define the cutoff point as in a "normal" tone control. A 500k pot (which my Reverend came with) will bring on a more sudden cutoff as you turn down, while a 1meg will be more gradual.

Regardless, bass cut controls are dead useful on any guitar that has any kind of "thickness" to its sound. It provides a different way to clean up your tone without as obvious a drop in volume. And it's fun to fine-tune the bass and treble cuts to play with the balance between low end, high end and the undisturbed middle.

No comment on the particular model as I haven't played one, but I've never heard or read the phrase "Reverends suck", so there's that. I do love mine.

I see you're in Tampa. Weren't you in Miami before? I'm in Miami, so if you're ever here and want to try out a guitar with a bass cut control I'd be happy to meet you at a store so you can try it out.

I was in Miami for almost 7 years, but am now in Tampa.

Thanks to you all for the info, I have a couple of guitars on my GAS radar, we'll see what happens.