Reverend Gristlemaster Fishman experience - caveat emptor

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by rze99, Jul 30, 2021.

1. rze99

rze99 Doctor of Teleocity

A short story of my experience in the last few weeks. It ends well, it's just to advise future buyers of used kit.

I bought a used Reverend Gristlemaster from a UK store.

Played it for a few days. Sounded and played great. Nice guitar and good value.

One night the signal cut out a few times and then died. The red battery indicator light was flashing, indicating a pickup battery flat.

I charged the rechargeable battery for the Fishman pickups via the USB cable. But the red flashing light wouldn't go out.

I called the store. "Try charging it again and see how long the charge lasts". I did. Same thing.

The store said they'd check with Reverend. They did.

Reverend said to the store that they are not providing replacement rechargeable batteries or other replacements parts for the pickups. The store said that the batteries supplied by Fishman must be used with the Fishman pickups and, as they can't remedy via Reverend, the store has now arranged return at their expense and are refunding me.

Fendereedo likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

So the pickups aren’t covered under reverend but have you tried fishman? Or is that a no-go

You think fishman would have some sort of warranty

3. rze99

I had a limited period of time to return it to the store so I wasn’t going to mess about trying lots of other routes.

4. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

Are you getting a new one?

Fendereedo and Fretting out like this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

I played one of those in a store and loved it. Walked away when they explained about the pickups, afraid of just that sort of problem. Sorry that happened to you.

FlyGuy10 and Fendereedo like this.
  6. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

I'm on the verge of getting one, but now I'm nervous.

Fendereedo likes this.
  7. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Holic

Imo, one of the worst model names ever implemented...

8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Since you're here in the USA you can easily go to Fishman directly if you have an issue with the battery. That being said I haven't heard about all that many battery issues with the Fishman Fluence pickups as of yet; while this is the first I've heard about issues with them on a Reverend I've read that at least a few people have had issues with them on other brands.

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. tfarny

You don’t want to have to charge your guitar on a USB port do you, really, with so many good sounding teles out there? And then carry a replacement dongle when they change the plug shape in 5 years. Down with planned obsolescence in musical instruments! (I say as I plan to buy a Helix).

10. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

True - but I would view the Helix as an effect instead of an amp; you kind of plan for them to be replaced more frequently than you would a guitar or an amp.

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The Fishman replacement battery seems to be $99 from multiple online retailers?
    Are batteries covered under warranty?
    If you want battery operated gear you need to take on the responsibility of replacing batteries every few years.
    I'm not sure why Reverend would replace the Fishman battery on a used guitar?

Seems to be a 250 hour/ charge battery from Fisman, not really a reason shoppers should avoid buying Reverend guitars?

I personally don't want a battery dependent guitar, but that decision came in the last century when battery powered guitars got popular.
    I had an EMG loaded Strat with one 9v and an Alembic bass with two 9v.

Rechargeables are just the 21st C version of some old tech, nothing to be scared of!
    Worried about having the right dongle?

How in heck do you post on the TDPRI about tech fears without getting through those tech fears to use a tech device that gets you onto TDPRI???

Now if Reverend guitars were exploding in flames that might be a worry!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    Fendereedo likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

Or not, on batteries?
    Having used all manner of rechargeable batteries over the last 30 years I know that some should be fully discharged before charging, while others will not charge properly if fully discharged, but can be reset some way if accidentally dicharged fully by a lax user.
    So to replace a used battery under warranty, when operator error is a common cause of early battery failure, might or might not be a company practice.
    But a $99 expendable part on a $1700 guitar might be considered owner maintenance cost?
    IDK and I don't want battery operated guitars!
    But I do want battery operated drills and if a used drill battery dies I don't return the drill, FWIW. Cordless drills cost almost as much as the batteries though, so buying a used drill I expect the price to reflect a future need to replace the batteries, or I pay extra if it comes with newere batteries.

Fendereedo likes this.
  13. tfarny

It's not fear it's just practicality. I don't have battery powered glasses, pens, bicycles, and many other things that don't really need them. A 9v battery can be replaced at a gig or rehearsal faster than changing strings, if it comes to that, and they make 9v rechargables if you like. Guitars work great with their 70 year old tech that I can completely fix myself, the guitar would have to have some really amazing capabilities for me to justify sticking modern electronics in it that will almost surely be landfill in a decade.

Fendereedo likes this.
  14. rze99

No not presently.

Fendereedo likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

Well I totally agree that a battery powered guitar is not something I want.

But the OP seemed to like this particular battery powered guitar, and only returned it because the battery needed replacing and was not covered under warranty.
    Then warnings were posed by others that things we charge with USB cables are bad.

For those who like and want the Fishman Fluence, what realistic expectations should today's user have WRT battery replacement?
    I found multiple retailers including Amazon selling Fishman Fluence batteries in one google search.
    USB cables are similarly easy to find.
    Proprietary rechargeable batteries had me upset 15 years ago but I've gotten used to them now!

Fendereedo likes this.
  16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I really like the David Gilmour EMG active pickup set in my Strat. The mid boost and mid cut circuits finally solved my issue of getting
    Strat pickups that sound really great clean, but that also sound great distorted- especially the bridge pickup. I would never normally go for active pickups,
    but it turned out to be a great solution for my particular issue with Stratocaster tone. Another nice benefit of these pickups is they are 100%
    hum-free.

I have a nice pickup system in my acoustic guitar-- the LR Baggs Lyric system. It also requires a 9v battery. So sometimes you can be kind of stuck using
    a battery just to get the tone you want. I notice that a lot of bass players seem to also favor active pickups.

Fendereedo and telemnemonics like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.