Reverbs

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mjark, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Since Sonar is no longer being supported I went back to Cakewalk which I had before Sonar. They're much the same but the new Cakewalk has a lot more choices in reverbs now.

I was trying some out today. These are both "hall" reverbs.

2. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Sounds very good! Which version do you have?

3. Mjark

2019/07 Build 79 64 bit

Mellencaster likes this.
  4. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As Cakewalk supports VST3-Plugins, you can get a lot of free effects; you might look for them here: https://www.kvraudio.com

Tuneup, Mjark and fendrguitplayr like this.
  5. Mjark

Thanks!

6. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

As a person about to set out in DAW land, what would be the advantages or disadvantages of Cakewalk then? Free plug ins sounds nice, as I'm not Emerson Lake and Palmer here, I only need a few to play with and would want to keep my costs down.

7. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I've used Cakewalk for many years, now I have SONAR Professional. I also put the free Cakewalk on my laptop - quite similar to SONAR other than the included plugins. I also own Ableton Live (cheap version) and Cubasis on the iPad (which worked well enough on a vacation).

If you are just getting started, I'd resist the urge to get something super complicated. I don't use most of the features of SONAR and the UI is really dense. For awhile I stopped using it completely. I think most linear DAWs these days are more alike than different and it boils down to how well the interface matches your desire to deal with things on the scale from easy to complicated.

Ableton Live is interesting because it has a couple of ways to create. One is more loop based and the other is like a linear DAW. I had to take a class to figure out how this works and I still haven't made a full tune on it but it seems promising as I do sometimes build up tunes out of loops I record.

My suggestion would be to try a few free trials if available, or flat out free like Cakewalk. You should be able to get SOMETHING done, or at least it will provide the opportunity to see how well you mesh with it. Don't feel like your decision is a life sentence.

I've been doing computer based recording at home for fun since... eh... about 1992? and I am still looking for an optimized solution that lets me be creative and get ideas down fast. I bog down in editing but if I can't get ideas in to begin with, none of that matters. In spite of being me really familiar with SONAR, it does not do this well IMO.

Some recording tools seem designed specifically for techno, which is all well and good, but my approach is more like traditional rock and roll where you have different song sections and the same instruments play through the whole thing, rather than 10 million different sounds in each one. I want something that sounds like a drum kit and I don't obsess over 1000 snare drum samples. I don't care at all about included content or loops or whatever - the ones that came with Live are like karaoke tracks - I don't feel all that creative using them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.