Reverb vs Delay

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
I just bought my first tube amp (a 5W Monoprice) which doesn't have reverb. I am a complete pedal noob (don't have any). My current amp is a Katana, so I could never justify buying pedals (vs using the on-board ones). I generally always use a bit of reverb with the Katana, so I'm thinking that I will probably need a reverb pedal for the new amp. In researching, it seems like maybe a delay would be better?

If you were going to buy one cheap pedal to take the dryness out of the amp, would it be reverb or delay?

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
go to a local pawn shop or music store and try out both to find out what works for you.
roland makes fine reverb and delay pedals , joyo , behringer etc but in all fairness your ears are the final judge.
take a look on amazon , ebay once you decide

Reverb, delay, echo, flange, chorus are time based effects some have special filters and modulation than others and some manufacturers have better features

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I just bought my first tube amp (a 5W Monoprice) which doesn't have reverb. I am a complete pedal noob (don't have any). My current amp is a Katana, so I could never justify buying pedals (vs using the on-board ones). I generally always use a bit of reverb with the Katana, so I'm thinking that I will probably need a reverb pedal for the new amp. In researching, it seems like maybe a delay would be better?

If you were going to buy one cheap pedal to take the dryness out of the amp, would it be reverb or delay?

I would get a longer chord and stand farther away.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I like a delay pedal set to slap-back times. Short delay, one repeat. It fattens the sound quite nicely. Delays are good for when you want to 'shoe gaze' too.
As @24 track mentions, Joyo and Behringer are good options for basic delays. You can spend as little as £12/$13 for a Chinese mini pedal, but you'll have to wait for delivery.
Don't spend a fortune on one. Repeat time, number of repeats ( this is 'repeat for this long in time' not an exact number for most pedals ) and level.
If I had to choose one, it'd be delay. With careful tweaking, a delay can sound reverb-ish.

Reverb. Reverb is a can of worms. For spring reverb, for surf type music, you need a proper spring. Emulators can only get you so far. Most spring emulations are not good for digging in and clanging. They lack springs.

Digital hall/room/plate/cathedral emulations are all pretty good now.

Go for a delay first.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Why not both?

calineduopedal3.png

However, you'll get a better mix of features for about the same total price with separate pedals. On my cheap mini "fun size" pedal board I have the Cuvave reverb and an Ammoon "analog" delay.

20220701_143403.jpg

Last edited:

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's

Hmm, that's a hard one. Both very useful modulation effects. Delay works great on lead, and reverb on clean rhythm sounds like chords or single line riffs. It depends on if you play more clean or dirty. Reverb sounds mushy with gain and distortion and muddys up the sound, but reverb sounds awesome on clean chords and arpeggios. Delay sounds good both dirty and clean but delay on a dirty or clean lead sound is very useful. I'd get one of each, $25 for delay and $35 for reverb from Behringer

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
Good info there. My ideal clean tone would be pretty crunchy, so maybe a delay would be better.

In searching for reverb/delay combos I came across the Caline Ghost Rain which is an echo delay despite having reverb in its name. I watched a couple of videos and think that it sounds great! Doesn't hurt that it looks pretty cool too.

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
If you're looking for a cheap pedal, I'd probably go with delay. Delay is a simpler effect that can sound fine cheap or expensive. Reverbs are more complex and harder to get right.

But first I'd play around with the reverb and delays in your Katana and gauge whether you have a preference between reverb and delay. Get what better suits your playing and your ears.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
There are reverb/delay pedals.
Boss makes em’, and they work well.
I also like and recommend either a Boss DM2 or 3.
They sound great, and are reverb-ey, meaning they sound somewhat like reverb, IMO.
Good luck.

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
You can get a Wampler Ethereal on the cheap. It's a really clean delay/reverb in a small box.

Or step up a little and get a Red Panda Context with 10X reverb and delay textures.
If OP is looking to put these in front of a small, crunchy tube amp, my opinion is that the subtleties offered by these units will be lost.

I would try a basic analog delay in that application like an MXR Carbon Copy.

kuch

Tele-Holic

I've had a 70's SFVC for about 10 years and earlier this year the light bulb went on and I figured out I should get a reverb pedal for it.... duh....

I don't remember what I paid for it but I got a Catalinbread Topanga pedal with reverb and tremolo, although the VC has excellent tremolo. After I got the pedal, I read here that I could use a delay pedal instead of reverb.... duh.....

these are the pedals I have, and they work great

Catalinbread Topanga.jpg
keeley 30ms double tracker.jpg

Friend of Leo's
Playing at home.... Reverb will make you sound like you're playing out... Playing out and on it's own, Delay.... 'cos without a lot of thought and balancing you'll end up sounding weaker and low in the mix.