Reverb Vintage Pre 1980... Oh Boy !

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 83siennateleguy, Aug 4, 2018.

1. BrandonIke

BrandonIke Tele-Meister

No? How does that make any sense?

Every single thread you've started has reverted back to your initial question of 'why'.
    And you've said in every thread that you "really don't care."

So I guess MY question is then 'why' do you keep creating threads related to the same thing. You're waiting for one person to tell you that someone will pay $2500 for it, which isn't going to happen

2 Headed Goat and nojazzhere like this.
  2. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

It would have helped if you used the poll built in to the forum, you know the part where it asks if you want to post a poll

BrandonIke and Crobbins like this.
  3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I suggest you ignore all this colossal BS and enjoy your guitar.

The vintage market has taken a few hits during the last decade and since it is down the various vintage dealers left with overpaid stock are trying to bring it up again with the usual internet snakeoil feeding.

BrandonIke and nojazzhere like this.
  4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

Self proclaimed experts? Who are these people that you've bestowed the title of expert upon? I don't know them and I've been a player/collector for 30 years.

Old guys with their retirement money trying to relive their glory days is setting the market price but that does not make them expert. More like foolish.

I think the proof in my above statement is the crazy prices that '75-'78 Telecasters are getting these days, probably the worst Telecasters ever made. Even late '60s CBS era with plastic covered wiring, changed body routing and non lacquer finish are getting 5 figure $ numbers ... out of reach for some old guys even with their retirement money, so they're creeping into to the mid to late 70's vintage. (Yes, I used the word vintage for one of its other definitions.)

But honestly, as much as I think 35 year old guitars CAN BE vintage, I have to pick the letter D in this survey. 1974 is much too late for the Fender Tele heyday, let alone 1980.

1965-1968 was a very fast, slippery slope...I would put the date at 1964.

While 65s were near identical to 64s but for the headstock logo; to me it was the exit sign for the type.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The 1974 is a TDPRI date applying to Fender.

What does the Reverb 1980 date apply to?
    All music gear?

As already noted, after Leo left Fender he started two subsequent guitar companies, and many view the early G&L production as "vintage G&L" as well as early Music Man being considered "vintage MM"

Early Charvels are probably considered "vintage Charvel" as well.

If you try to apply the Reverb somewhat random choice of 1980 as being the singular vintage guitar gear cutoff date, to "vintage Fender production", it pretty much doesn't work no matter how you spin it.

6. BrandonIke

BrandonIke Tele-Meister

I was more referring to the market value and sales of said guitars, and I'm sure many on here would agree that the likes of Ron Kirn, Redd Volkaert, et al. would be considered 'experts'. May not be posting on this particular thread but the knowledge across tdpri is there

And I don't know why you're trying to point out one word in my reply make your argument, I 100% agree with you and the insane prices for 70's and less desirable Fenders, etc. I am for sure never paying 3k for a 75 Fender tele

jfgesquire likes this.
  7. Totally_Tod

Totally_Tod Tele-Meister

In 1983 a ‘58 Strat would have been only 25 years old.

Does that mean that in 2018 a strat from 1993 is as desireable as a ‘58 Strat was in 1983? HELL NO !

There was a vintage guitar market back then and Vintage Guitar magazine started in ‘86 (when a ‘61 Strat was only 25 years old).

Gibson was doing reissues of 50’s models in the early 70s.

Fender started doing the same in the 80s.

I’ve always heard that 25 years is the marker for vintage, but keep in mind that just because it’s “vintage” doesn’t mean it’s worth more or desirable.

The only early to mid 80s Fenders I’ve seen really go up in value or become “collectible” are the first AVRIs.. not to mention the whole stigma attached to ‘83’s in general.

BrandonIke likes this.
  8. 83siennateleguy

83siennateleguy Tele-Meister

It seems your more than a little upset over my postings. It was strictly unintentional that this particular post had anything to do with my 83 tele.
    I'll be the first one to admit that it sure does look that way.
    I only wondered what people thought of what I read on the Vintage site. I never intended to upset anyone, and I send my apologies to all that have been upset by this .
    Just for the record ; I'm not waiting for someone to tell me it's worth $2500 . I think it's worth $150-$200k. Have a great day!

9. Totally_Tod

Totally_Tod Tele-Meister

According to the same site, reverb, it’s worth $850-$1500 based on their own sales data.

Attached Files:

BrandonIke likes this.
  10. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I remember when Maple Cap Fenders were not desirable, only slab board and back pre-CBS.

I remember when offsets were not a desirable part of the vintage game.

I remember when ES Gibsons Semi's were considered "only for blues and jazz guys" and could be had with PAF's for not too much more than new ES's.

I remember when you couldn't give away P90 firebirds.

Hell, golden era guitar amps can still be had as cheap as some boutiques and reissues.

Now, the biggest lie in the vintage game is "craftsmanship"....tolerances in all facets of solid body guitars were at their sloppiest in the 50's/60's, that's just fact by anyone who studies them closely.

Regardless of your wine aficionado BS guitars, upon close examination, don't hold up to scrutiny of the definition of vintage beyond hyperbole thus market value, group think.

I say all this as a vintage nerd who loves the old guitars but get real folks...they're quirky as all hell.

BrandonIke and Totally_Tod like this.
  11. Totally_Tod

Totally_Tod Tele-Meister

Truth!

I agree with all of this as somewhat of a vintage nerd, (63 Strat, 65 Jazzmaster). The early ones are all over the place in terms of specs.

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I have read this thread and thought about the criteria for something being vintage. I can truthfully say that ( I ) qualify as being vintage under any and all criteria used in classifying vintage as such. I don't think I'm gonna bring much money on the open market though.

2 Headed Goat and jfgesquire like this.
  13. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

I've owned two 1979 strats and I agree with the pre 1980 mark...my 83 two knob strat just will never ooze that vintage 70's coolness

14. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I vote C robbins' post.

Few years ago a guitar playing buddy of mine referred to my mid 80's Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 solid state twin combo as vintage.

To my thinking, vintage amps are tube amps with tweed or tolex.

When it comes to cars, anything built when I was alive can't be vintage since I'm not that old (born in '72). Although a '78 Firebird Trans Am 403 V8 4 speed WS6 brakes and handling package would be the chiz.

83siennateleguy likes this.
  15. 83siennateleguy

83siennateleguy Tele-Meister

You know sometimes I think us humans are almost like robots in a way. From a very young age we are taught to think a certain way and look at things sometimes from only one direction.
    I agree with your comments , born in 68 here so I wouldn't mind having that same car as well.
    I think we could live to be 100 and still 50 years from now we would still think the way we do now.
    Funny sometimes how the brain functions. I wonder what the 18 year old kid thinks if someone mentions classic rock , (Billy Joel ) ? Ha.
    Everyone has their own opinion of course so I guess with that being said, nobody's right or wrong on this issue .
    Have a great day!

16. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You would probably have a different viewpoint if you were born in 56 as I was.
    It just does not seem right to consider stuff made after I graduated high school as vintage.
    My first car was a 62 Willy’s Wagon and at 19 I owned a 69 Z28 and a 69 L88 Corvette at the same time.

17. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

@83siennateleguy I've heard it said everyone desires cars from their youth.

Certainly true in my Firebird T/A fantasy.

But everything else on my vehicle bucket list, with the slight exceptions of a DeTomoso Pantera and 911 Carerra RSR, came out before I was born.

BMW 2002 tii, with the early round taillights would be the one I'd want- probably have to have a later one changed in back (don't believe they made the tii with rounds).

83siennateleguy likes this.
  18. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

labeling something vintage you then can ask more money for it

jaybones likes this.
  19. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

Don't forget rare, plays like butter, tone monster and unsupported claims it was once owned by someone famous (or almost famous, or was looked at, touched, breathed on by them).

20. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Vintners make vintage wines...collectors accumulate collectable things.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.