Reverb Vintage Pre 1980... Oh Boy !

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 83siennateleguy, Aug 4, 2018.

1. 83siennateleguy

83siennateleguy Tele-Meister

Just today I logged on to Reverb web site and they ; in their definition of course tells you all about Vintage guitars and what defines them , etc.etc.etc.

One of the last things I read stated that anything before 1980 is vintage.

Look on here and it's pre 1974.

I guess the markets changing somewhat according to Reverb.

Now I'm only asking everyone's opinion on this. Remember now, I'm just making an observation, I had nothing to do with this (LOL) before some people get too excited!

So how about a poll.

1974 ?

1980 ?

I don't care !

A B or C

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

I reckon anything 50 years old can be considered genuinely vintage. Any younger and it’s second hand, used, pre-loved or any other adjective that says ‘not new’

3. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

I would think the bigger factor for collecting would be Pre-CBS, and all the rest.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

This board set it at "pre-1974" because that is when Fender changed the body shape of the Tele slightly, so that was chosen as the "cut off" for "vintage". I don't recall exactly why Fender made the change to the shape (it's less of a curve on the upper part of the body, and there was a slight change to the neck pocket area on that side as well) but it was likely either a change to the pin router template or a move to an early CNC router.

It's somewhat arbitrary, but also fits because CBS did less messing around with the Telecaster than they did with the Stratocaster in the immediate post-Leo era - CBS kept the "regular" Tele with minimum changes and added additional models to where they made the drastic changes until the body shape change in 1974. On the Strats they started making changes shortly after they took over.

Reverb sets it where they do because they are dealers (it's set up and run by Chicago Music Exchange, and it caters more to dealers than individual sellers), and it is in their financial interest to call a larger pool of instruments as "vintage". Plus I guess anything from 1980 is now 38 years old.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Just my opinion, but ...
    Gibson- pre Norlin
    Fender - pre-plastic (polyurethane) on maple fingerboards, pre CBS, though transitional stuff sometimes counts
    Gretsch - pre Baldwin
    Martin - pre CNC machine
    Yeah, I’m an old guitar nerd.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    esetter and nojazzhere like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Not that what I think really matters, but "vintage" simply means "old-ish".....a vintage Telecaster is different from a vintage laptop. I don't look at my 1993 Tele as vintage, but a 1993 cellphone might be. WAY back in "vintage" times,(1970s) George Gruhn started the vintage guitar mania, mainly as a way to jack up prices on stuff he wanted to sell. Until then, we could still get good deals in pawn shops on old Teles, Strats, and Les Paul Jrs. If you're selling something, thank him....if you're buying something, BLAME him....;)

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

George didn’t start the mania, we players did.
    “We” had to have the “Excaliber” weilded by our strumming, twanging heroes.
    George capitalized on it, and became the de facto authority.
    Someone else would have done it if he hadn’t.
    Demand creates scarcity, and elevates price.
    Guitars became the cool instrument thanks to guys like Hank Williams, Elvis Presley, Duane Eddy, Buddy Holly and my heroes, those Liverpudlian fellas.
    Old guitars are so cool, but 60-odd years later, you can get cool guitars for fairly little money.
    I “blame” our (guitar) heroes.
    If they hadn’t looked so cool, had so much fun, and most important of all, made such irresistible music, we’d all be
    tooting horns and crooning smooth ballads.
    Heck with that!

birddog01 likes this.
  8. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Vintage, and collectible are to different things.

Totally_Tod likes this.
  9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think you can just randomly go by "year". This is the best definition I have found:

"A vintage guitar is an older guitar usually sought after and maintained by avid collectors or musicians. While any guitar of sufficient age can be considered a vintage instrument, the term is typically applied to guitars either known for their sound quality or rarity."

RadioFM74 likes this.
  10. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Still not 1983

As i have said before anyone can call anything vintage, there is no legal definition when it comes to guitars. But if you are talking about instruments that trade for many multiples of their inflation adjusted retail price, vintage is pre 1970.
    And you can blame Gruhn to a small extent as he is on record for saying everything changed in 1970. As if all the employees went home on new years eve 1969 and forgot how to make guitars on new years day 1970.

11. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Definition of vintage
    1a (1) : a season's yield of grapes or wine from a vineyard
    (2) : wine; especially : a usually superior wine all or most of which comes from a single year
    b : a collection of contemporaneous and similar persons or things : crop
    : the act or time of harvesting grapes or making wine
    3a : a period of origin or manufacture
    • a piano of 1845 vintage
    b : length of existence : age

Definition of collectible
    1: suitable for being collected
    • collectible coins

• collectible figurines
    2: due for present payment : payable
    • collectible credit card bills

12. 83siennateleguy

At the end of the posting it says A, B or C

Lol. Nobody voted . Awesome!

Crobbins likes this.
  13. BrandonIke

BrandonIke Tele-Meister

I'm just wondering how many more threads there are going to be indirectly trying to argue that your 83 american standard is more valuable or collectable than what the market and a multitude of experts keep telling you

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I consider a mid '80s MIJ Squier more of a "vintage guitar" than a late '70s Fender, because the early MIJ Squiers are "a vintage".

For that matter I consider the mid '80s MIJ Fenders morew vintage than the late '70s Fenders because they are also a vintage.

When we look back some decades and see more desirable production eras and less desirable production eras, we consider the more desirable production era guitars to be vintage guitars because they are of a good vintage.

The term vintage might be comparable to pedigree in this discussion.

Breeding is not the same as good breeding.

But we're stuck with the word and all manner of misuse!

OTOH we might say that the mid to late '70s Fenders are the Fender vintage that put Ibanez, Schecter, Kramer, Jackson and Charvel on the map.

In a way the low point in Fender quality is an important era to the other makers who got their foothold when players stopped preferring Fender and Gibson over everything else. (Sorry Rickenbacker, Vox, etc)

Reverb is a selling site more than a history definer, but obviously many owners of old guitars would like the fence moved to include their stock.

15. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

The market and its terms of valuation are completely capricious and arbitrary. Just remember that.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'll say that I have Fender gear from the '50s, '60s, '70s, '90s, and '00s.

There are many reasons big and small that I consider '72 and earlier vintage Fender.
    I have a '73 Tele bridge pickup that is every bit as good as my '50s to early '70s pickups, but also have a mid '70s Tele bridge pickup with the braided shielded wire they used for a short time and it is comparatively harsh sounding, not useful or good vintage.

Some mid '70s flat pole Strat pickups are usable in the neck position but sound harsh and shrill in the bridge.

Later when Fender changed the Tele body shape back to pre '73 and made some improvements, we really are looking at the beginning of the reissue era, not the vintage Fender era.

There is just no way that Fender instruments returning to the vintage specs can ever be put in the same category as the vintage era Fenders they try to recreate.

The '80s cannot be vintage because they are reissue.

17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

It depends on the guitar.

I consider early G&L guitars (1980-1983) to be classics, if not vintage--that's the first years of manufacture for the brand, they had several models that later evolved, were renamed or discontinued, etc.

I still think mid-70's is a good benchmark...although, my '92 Strat is now 26 years old, so....?

18. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Older than 1969 is vintage to me. Newer than 1969 is just older stuff. I was 25 years old in 1980, that stuff ain't vintage.

brookdalebill likes this.
  19. LPTyler

LPTyler Tele-Meister

Vintage has to evolve, because things keep getting older as time goes on. In 40 years, today’s guitars will be vintage, today’s vintage will be antiques. If the item was made before much of the buying population was born, it’s likely vintage - to that person.

20. 83siennateleguy

No matter what you think , this isn't about that even though I know it seems that way.
    I just saw where one is 1974 and one says 1980.
    I said a poll wether it mattered to anybody.
    Here we go again.
    So now I have to post only topics that apply to anything in this century (2000s) , will that make you happy ?
    Lol. Whatever . Have a good day!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.