Reverb Unit - Build or Buy?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by WineCaster, Oct 20, 2017.

1. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

I’m looking to get a Reverb unit to bring my surf guitar playing to the right level. It seems like Fender has that 63 Reissue for around $400-$500 and Mojotone has their 6g15 Reverb unit kits for $350 shipped (doesn’t include tubes or cabinet but I can build my own).

What would the better route be here? It seems like prices would be comparable with the mojo being hand wired. I just want the best sound for my money. Anyone have some input?

2. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

I was very impressed with the TC electronics Hall of Fame - Mini. Surprisingly good reverb and with their "Toneprint" tech, lots of different reverb to choose from. Most of the time I just go with the default "Hall" reverb and sounds very good.
    So many words, neither of my amps have built in reverb and the < than $100 pedal works for me.
    If you're going to build your own I think that would even be better.

3. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Pedal-wise, I love my Catalinbread Topanga. It does the reverb unit think better than other reverb pedals I've tried. In fact, I love it so much, I own two.

But, I got the idea a few months ago that I might eventually like a 6g15 tank of some kind. I got to reading and am really intrigued by the Surfy Bear kits/units with fets instead of tubes. It seems a little less fussy and might be more reliable in the long run, what with no tubes, and all.

As much as I do want a 6g15, I think my next foray into reverb will be one of these units.

But, to actually answer your question.... it would depend. Do you want to have the joy of building the unit yourself. I mean, there is a certain sense of accomplishment! Or do you just want to get it in the mail, plug it in and play it... Which also has a certain sense of satisfaction. The money difference obviously isn't that much at 350 vs. 400. You'd spend close to that 50 bucks just in raw materials for the cab, let alone tubes. But, I would wager the Mojotone kit is closer to the original than Fender's reissue. If you head over to Surf101.com, there is endless discussion of the different reverb tank units!

charlie chitlin and SolidSteak like this.
  4. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

If you have the means and the know how, then I think you should build your own.
    No substitute for the feeling of building your own. Plus this way you get a hand wired unit.
    Obviously you’re looking for the vintage Dick Dale reverb, a Fender reverb unit or its clone are the only way to really get it.
    Good luck and post your build over on the amp building forums.

5. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

I agree with boredguy. Find one of these units. They come up for sale over at Surfguitar101. I paid $400 + shipping (used) for mine which is a 63 Reissue model.

IMG_1293.JPG
    IMG_1292.JPG

6. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I just got a Topanga and I really dig it... also looking at the Surfy Bear kit but every time I get up the nerve to order one the site says they are out of stock :(

As for the OP's need for "best sound for the money," I don't know the right answer to that... I'm a cheapskate :D

Axis29 likes this.
  7. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Holic

I bought the mojotone kit. They’re having a 13% off sale with free shipping right now... can’t beat that!

8. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

The surfy bear kit gets good reviews. I want to build one, all in you could be around 150.00 or less

9. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

The hall of fame doesn't have enough splash or drip for sure IMO. I have a digitech polara and it works. 60 cycle him on YouTube compares a handful of pedals and a surfy bear against a fender tank. The surfy bear was so close. As was the boss fender verb unit. I can't remember the model right now

10. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I have built (3) triode 6G15 kits and love them but I also have a BitMo converted Epiphone valve junior reverb.
    Picked up a used valve jr combo in perfect shape for under $100 and I think the kit is around $60.
    I ended up with a nice little extension cab with a reverb in it and my JVM-1H on top.
    I doesn't have a dwell control, you have to use the guitar volume control for that but for the price it's a good little reverb.
    BTW if you do the conversion with a combo you need the version with 3 outputs in the back, not one.
    jvm_sm.jpg

jddub440 likes this.
  11. gatorfiend

gatorfiend Tele-Meister

I bought a used reverb unit, it's better than onboard (Ampeg reverb is nice, though) but still doesn't drip like I'd like. I shoulda waited on a Gomez G-spring.

12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, for surf that old spring unit fits the bill.

13. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i paid $300 used for mine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.