Reverb (the website). Can somebody give me some advice here??

pmjennin

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
Why did you immediately pay off your credit card out of your bank account? Is this how you always handle commercial transactions? Don't you know that the credit card company doesn't charge interest until the next billing cycle?

If you'd have just waited a week to pay off the credit card, you'd still have the cash in your bank and you could be out there shopping for another guitar right now. The beauty of credit cards is that you're not actually dealing with real money until you pay your bill the next month. Until then it's just numbers in a computer. I just don't get the reasoning behind your actions.

My impression is that you are uncomfortable with buying things on credit. But then why do you even have a credit card? Is it for buyer protection? In this case, buyer protection didn't come into play. But you did benefit from the credit banking system - or at least you would have if you hadn't immediately paid the credit card company. The fact that you are temporarily out $1300 is all your fault - not the seller's.

As for you feeling scammed, I can't argue with how you feel. Everyone here agrees with you that it sucks, but it's not a scam since the seller got nothing out of you - unless it was his goal to tick you off.

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
Not much to do about the OP’s situation except look for a different guitar, and a different platform. At least you didn’t lose any dough.

I deleted my Reverb account and no longer conduct business there. The variety of inventory disappeared, sale prices drifted up, fees drifted up, customer service withdrawn. All red flags from a platform that used to function as a vibrant community and sadly turned into just another place where people sell things.

“All good things must eventually suck.” — Abraham Lincoln

chezdeluxe

Doctor of Teleocity
Why did you immediately pay off your credit card out of your bank account? Is this how you always handle commercial transactions? Don't you know that the credit card company doesn't charge interest until the next billing cycle?

If you'd have just waited a week to pay off the credit card, you'd still have the cash in your bank and you could be out there shopping for another guitar right now. The beauty of credit cards is that you're not actually dealing with real money until you pay your bill the next month. Until then it's just numbers in a computer. I just don't get the reasoning behind your actions.

My impression is that you are uncomfortable with buying things on credit. But then why do you even have a credit card? Is it for buyer protection? In this case, buyer protection didn't come into play. But you did benefit from the credit banking system - or at least you would have if you hadn't immediately paid the credit card company. The fact that you are temporarily out $1300 is all your fault - not the seller's.

As for you feeling scammed, I can't argue with how you feel. Everyone here agrees with you that it sucks, but it's not a scam since the seller got nothing out of you - unless it was his goal to tick you off.
Perhaps so that his credit card limit was not exceeded for any other day to day purchases he wanted to make.

Robert H.

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
This is not a store, this is an individual person selling one guitar. So why you’re comparing apples and oranges, I don’t know. This wasn’t a store manager who suddenly realized an item was no longer in stock, this was an individual who answered a question about the guitar literally minutes before I purchased and paid for it and then went radio silent for 5 days before cancelling without explanation. As for what owed or not owed, we live about 8 hours apart, so we’re not likely to find out. If we were closer though, I absolutely would take this up in court.
Man, it’s not a situation any of us would want - but you’d lose in court provided you get your refund.
Not all pains in the arse are “actionable.“

Last edited:

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Didn't read the whole thread but it's simple. Seller had it listed elsewhere and got a better offer. Sold it to someone else after you bought it.

Reported to Reverb that you made an accidental purchase to get Reverb to cancel with no cost to him.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
There are legit reasons a seller might cancel a purchase, of course. Maybe Reverb doesn't have appropriate categories for "I found a big neck crack and can't in good conscience sell it," "My brother threw it off a bridge when he was drunk," or "My ex burned it after she caught me cheating."

HLRingthane

NEW MEMBER!
So if you go into a steakhouse and pay up front for a $50 steak dinner, the steakhouse gives the food you paid for to somebody else for $60 and then turns around and says, “we’ve held your money for 6 days, but we’ll get it back to you in 3-5 business days”, you wouldn’t feel scammed?? Am I speaking a foreign language?

I’m “out” the fact that from the time I’ve PAID to the time I get the money BACK, Reverb and/or the seller will have held my money for upwards of 1.5 weeks and I’ve got nothing to show for it. And the seller doesn’t even get so much as a negative feedback as a consequence.

I’m also “out” the fact that in the 1.5 weeks Reverb and/or the seller held my money, there are an infinite number of places from which I could’ve bought this model or another guitar. But I didn’t, because I was waiting on this scammer to send the guitar that I paid him for for the price that he asked for.

I don’t understand the logic that I’m not “out” anything if they take my money in a transaction, don’t follow through with the transaction, and then return my money at a date that’s convenient for them.
You're not out anything because you paid for something, didn't get it, and got your money back. What have you actually lost here? How are you damaged by this? You are exactly as you were before you bought the guitar. If you lost the money, then yes, you would have an actual issue. But as it is, you are making Mount Saint Helens out of a molehill.

Synchro

Tele-Holic
I don’t think that you are being unreasonable, at all. When you bid for an item on eBay, tt’s considered a binding commitment. Why should the seller skate, Scot free if they back out? I don’t know all the rules on Reverb, but they apparently are weighing with two sets of scales.