1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reverb Tank RCA plug replacement

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by bigben55, Sep 28, 2016.

1. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

My BFSR needs some new plugs for the reverb tank. The ones that go into the amp are fine; the ones that plug into the back of the amp aren't. 2 questions: do they make "better" and or 90 deg angled plugs that don't stick out so far? And, is there any trick to replacing these, or is it as easy as common sense would dictate?

2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't exactly know what you mean, but vintage shielded RCA cables are easy enough to find on eBay or from an amp parts supply website.

If you're replacing the RCA jacks that are panel mounted, they're a pretty universal part.

Thin69 likes this.
  3. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

1475083013386.jpg

These. The white and red plastic is falling apart. I don't know what the original cable looked like, but was probably the braided metal type, right? Will "any" RCA cables work? Like even the type for tvs and DVD players? I have tons of those. Or are there specific requirements for this cable?

If this was your amp, what would you use/buy?

4. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Basically, which should I get, and why? 1475083727756.jpg 1475083733129.jpg

5. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

AFAIK, the only thing that you need to make sure of is that the cables are shielded. The original style obviously are, I'm not sure if all of the other style are shielded. If they are specifically called reverb cables or are modern Fender cables they should be fine. If you go to a place like Best Buy or similar you'd want to verify that the cables were shielded just in case some aren't depending on their intended use.

6. Lando27

Lando27 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

you're lucky it's rca on both ends. I've got a Peavey Bandit 112 that has a 4 pin connector on the amp, out to 2 rca. it was harder to find that cable.

7. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

The issue with regular stereo or tv style RCA cables is that the fender reverb tank circuit has about a quarter to a half an amp driving it. Some of those cheap RCA cables aren't meant for that sort of drive.

Darkness likes this.
  8. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Afflicted

I just replaced the cheap ones on my 68 CPR with these. The reverb circuit is MUCH quieter now. They're $3.15 each. Make sure you order two, as they are single cables.

Attached Files:

9. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I replaced the wires on an old twin with standard RCA cables from a stereo - found a set that were factory sealed, perfect length.

Originals developed ground hum and I couldn't get rid of it so changed the wires - easy job, plug and go.

The RCA stereo wires stick out further than the back of the amp, may not be good for road use, the molded Fender or other 90 degree cables are better, the original braided cables also were prone to damage on the road.

10. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I ordered a right angle set, thx

Darkness likes this.
  11. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

The newer amps that use RCA reverb cables usually have the 90 degree molded plastic end type, as already mentioned they are readily available.
    I tried making some vintage style cables w the braided stuff one time, I had a hard time soldering the RCA plugs to the cable.

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I replace with the vintage style metal-braided. Very quiet. No plastic end to break. Look better.

Thin69 likes this.
  13. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

So, I got a quality replacement cable. Hooked it up, works great. But, I have a question.

Look at this pic. What is the 3rd small wire between the red and white? I'm guessing it's some sort of ground, but where's it go? The cable I replaced didn't have it. The new one works fine without it attached to anything. [​IMG]

14. R.S.Fraser Sr.

R.S.Fraser Sr. Tele-Meister

Is there really any wire in that strip?
    It looks like it is just a seperater for the two cables.

15. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's

Not positive, but I think some old turntables needed a separate ground attached when hooked up to stereo receivers. Could be there for that purpose.

16. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

There's definitely wire in there.

The thing is, these are Fender REVERB TANK cables. For reverb tanks, on Fender amps. Why would they add an unnecessary wire?

17. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

The wire in the middle is to provide a common earth ground for a turntable and receiver. You can separate the wires and remove it if you want.

18. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The middle wire is the Ground Loop Wire. Give it a try.

19. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

How? Where would it go?

20. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm sorry, I was joking about installing a ground loop which would be a bad thing. Like everyone said, don't connect that middle wire to anything.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.