1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reverb Tank Comparison - Type 8 vs Type 9

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by drob, Dec 10, 2018.

1. drob

drob Tele-Holic

I'm replacing the Reverb Pan/Tank in an Ampeg Jet II, and was hoping someone could help me with tank size. From the research I've done, I've narrowed it down to two options. I can use a Short (Type 8 - 9 inch) three spring reverb with a long decay or fit a Long (Type 9 - 18 inch) two sets of three springs attached to one another in a medium decay. Using a Fender Princeton reissue (Type 4 Long decay) as the benchmark, am i going to get closer with the Type 8 Long decay, or Type 9 with a Medium decay? I've heard that the 9's are pretty lush. Thank you!

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Hmm.
    I thought it use to be short pan with 3 spring and long pan with 2 spring.
    I like my orig super reverb. I think it is 2 spring long.

I forgot .lol

3. drob

drob Tele-Holic

The Fender black face are Type 4's long decay. Same length as the Type 9's, just the springs are different.

4. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I've been doing a bit of maintenance and a tune-up on a Gibson Falcon amp (~1968) that had the reverb tank replaced at some point in it's life. I had to do some research to find out what type of tank the replacement is.

It's one of the "Revisit" tanks (3 spring, type 9, long) sold by Studio Sound here:

https://www.amprepairparts.com/reverb.htm

I also found some helpful info here:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/tech-corner/spring-reverb-tanks-explained-and-compared

I found there are quite a few parameters to consider when choosing a tank! :)

Beside the number of springs and tank length, there is also input and output impedance of the transducers, etc. The links above go into some detail about different specs.

In my Gibson Falcon amp, the type 9, 3 spring, long tank does have a real "lush" sound.

I was actually kinda surprised at how good the reverb (and tremelo) sounded.

It seems there have been a few different iterations or generations of the Gibson Falcon; mine is what I believe to be the last generation, the one with EL84's instead of 6V6's.

All in all, a great sounding amp for my blues and blues/rock :)!

Best Regards,
    Geo.

uriah1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.