1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reverb Squeal

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Telecaster, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Telecaster

Telecaster Tele-Meister

I have a 1965 Twin Reverb. I did take the amp to an amp tech and he re capped what needed to be redone and changed the power tubes. The reverb was making noise when the amp was on and sitting idle. It was kind of a popping noise. I just purchased the amp and it still had the original tubes so I changed the tubes and the popping noise is gone but now it squeals or howls. The howl goes away when I turn the foot switch off. Any Ideas???

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Could be just loose cables, or the ends could be damaged. Try reversing them. Is the tank screwed down properly?

The new tube you swapped in may be microphonic - you did use a 12AT7 and not a AX7 - that'll howl like a mongrel in some Fender amps as it provides too much gain.

3. EMan

EMan Tele-Holic

If you didn't replace the cathode bypass cap on the reverb recovery tube stage, you ought to. When these caps get old, they can make that stage squeel.

4. Telecaster

Telecaster Tele-Meister

Thanks Guys.

As Always !!!

5. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

I just had a similar problem fixed on my SR

Replaced cables and reverb tank. Strong reverb is back and no squeal.

Mik

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.