1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reverb slapped Ebay into submission ¡No mas No mas !

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, May 16, 2017.

1. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

The return policy has changed since then.

2. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Dont forget, people factor in those fees when they list. Ive seen the same guitar on ebay and reverb, always for less on reverb.

Want to talk about robbery, try selling to a local store where they take 15%.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Reverb does need to update their sorting code. If you have a page of product and want to see low to high cost, it ignores shipping. I've seen a $300 guitar with $100 shipping listed lower than the $325 guitar with $25 in shipping.

4. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

eBay is last resort, ever since I sold an electronic item (a GPS) that was accurately described, had current pics, and a link to all manufacturer's specs.
    Buyer said,"Oh I changed my mind." My listing said no returns, all sales final.
    eBay made it very clear, accept the return and face the consequences.
    Craigslist for selling non-musical, Reverb for musical.
    Plus eBay and Paypal together are a ripoff for the seller.

5. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Never had a problem buying or selling on Ebay.

tonytrout likes this.
  6. Blue

Blue Tele-Afflicted

I see a lot of sellers putting "no returns" in their listing and it means nothing, but Ebay still allow it to be written
    despite their return policy. It seems they don't want to make this clear and just ignore it.

Teleguy61 likes this.
  7. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I still use Flea-Bay for buying rare or OOP DVDs that I can't find on Amazon. For instance, I just bought a copy of the 2008 2-DVD set, "The Byrds Under Review." As for selling? Never sold a thing on Ebay.

I haven't shopped on Reverb but I've definitely seen some very cool stuff that I wish I could afford (a Rickenbacker, for instance).

8. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

I am not worried about eBay

9. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

eBay's 2016 gross profits were $6.972 billion, up from $6.821 billion in 2015.

eBay's 2016 operating income was $2.325 billion, up from $2.197 billion in 2015.

So yeah, I'm sure Reverb will put eBay out of business any day now. :lol:

It's called lowering your prices to meet the competition. All sorts of businesses do this. Nobody's beating anyone into submission, except in your mind.

Boubou likes this.
  10. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

To those sellers who think that Reverb will not make you refund your money within six months of the sale, be advised that any sale using Paypal is subject to the same satisfaction guarantee that you hate eBay for.

11. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

If you're seeing higher prices it's because the sellers are listing them higher. I see prices all over the board, High, low, and just right. Reverb has a price guide that estimates what your gear is worth based on past sales as well. If I'm selling a guitar that Reverb says is worth $500-$750 and I know it's in great shape, you'd better believe I'm going to be hitting closer to that $750 when I list it. I can always take an offer for less, but you can't ask for more once it has sold. So I list on the high side and wait for sales or offers. Besides that it costs $80-$100 or more to sell on Reverb by the time you factor in Shipping, packaging costs, insurance, Reverb's fee, and the processing fee. It all adds up. If you sell too low you'll be eating that.

soulman969 likes this.
  12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

The vast majority of sellers expect people to make an offer.

The vast majority of sellers have a number in mind they want to walk away with.

So - if someone buys it outright at full boat ?

Hooray !

If someone makes an offer higher than the number that the seller had in mind ?

Fantastic !

If it's lower, then you counter offer.

But - there are some ridiculously high priced guitars on there . I'm guessing the same ridiculously-priced guitars that used to be on GBase. And, just like on GBase, they're there for years...

Awwwwww...remember GBase ? That was so cute. Like The MySpace of guitar/bass/amp sales...:lol:

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I believe that if you research the selling histories of most any item you won't find that to be true or at least not in all cases. You have dealers selling there as well as private sellers and I've noticed that some of them price higher but also accept offers.

The graphic charts provided compare asking prices to selling prices on a 12 month rolling basis and that info is listed in tablature form as well. I like that feature because it shows the past and most recent pricing trends so it's helpful to both sellers and buyers.

You many not find some of the screaming bargains you do on a thinly bid Ebay auction or on a CL dump but then the caliber of most of the gear and the sellers themselves seem much better on Reverb and their Protection Plans actually work for both parties not just the buyer.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

100% this. My motto with eBay is "always be buying." Never selling. It's hard to get burned that way.

As for Reverb, they're doing it right: taking criticism of eBay seriously, seeing there is a market there, and making instrument sales on the web better.

15. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

I was unaware of Ebay's new return policy - thanks for mentioning this. I have some stuff I need to sell. I cant even imagine the PIA if some joker sends an amp back that is so poorly re-packed that it gets partially destroyed on the the return trip.

So with ebays new policy - who is responsible for the return shipping cost if the customer just changes their mind and you have checked "no returns"?

16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I like reverb, but they are getting too big for their own britches.

Tried finding a strat neck and not too many methods to refine it.

17. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

18. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher Tele-Meister

Wow I kinda like ebay, I bought a 20 ft SeaRay SRV with a 260 hp Mercruiser 350 chevy with an engine you could eat off for 765 bucks + Angel ministries fee, with 6months same as cash Pay Pal

19. Blue

Blue Tele-Afflicted

Forget the "no returns", ebay will let you put it but it means nothing.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher Tele-Meister

6%

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.