Reverb Rant!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Apr 17, 2019.

1. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

I got boned by PayPal once, so I use my card.... through PP. everything I buy using PP is paid through my card. they (PayPal) failed to go to bat for me on another deal, but my card people made it right

radiocaster and Shuster like this.
  2. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

PP seems to me (from other accounts that I've heard) like they'll use their standard procedure to try to get your money back. If you paid with cash and the seller's account is linked to a positive bank account or they have money in their PP, you'll get your money back.

If the money isn't easy for them to get, they give you some old copies of IOUs from Dumb and Dumber.

I have used them to make claims before (PP), but fortunately, the only one time that a seller refused to cooperate, he needed his PP account to continue to eat, so he had money in it and PP gave it back to me. That dude was a lumber dealer who would one day tell me he shipped my lumber the day before, then the next day, he'd tell me it was ready to be put on a pallet and shipped, and he got tripped when I said "OK, you're lying".

There's no guarantee that a seller is sane, but the way the systems are set up now, they don't last too long if they aren't. My experience across the board has been (if we're being honest) better than brick and mortar local stores ever were in the 80s and 90s when I was a kid. If you were younger back then, they'd give deference to older people sometimes, but if you were a kid, they'd practically swat you away. It wasn't until walmart came along and got the wise Idea to make suppliers pay for returns (plus a fee to walmart for the return) that that changed.

In about 2000 transactions online in ...I don't know, 20 years? I've elevated something to a claim maybe 5 times and had to go all the way to the credit card only once.

I have been scammed by a buyer (and took an item on return because his wife found out he bought something he shouldn't have) only one time, and that didn't really cost me much other than time. I just resold it after that. He didn't have to place a claim, i just realized that he could probably work me over through the paypal system and say something generic (he said as much in an email - my wife is upset, i need to send this back. I could go through ebay to do it, but I don't want to have to do that). I could read between the lines. He was smart enough to find my email account through paypal and send me an email rather than saying that through ebay.

Shuster likes this.
  3. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Captain obvious has spoken.

4. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Reverb will take care of you. I had a horrendous seller on Reverb misrepresent an item and cussed me out about it (literally and more than once) for asking for a refund. I had paid through PayPal and the Reverb staff was kind enough to walk me through what to do with PayPal. Long story short, PayPal got me my refund and Reverb shut the sellers account down within a week. Good stuff.

Another time I bought a pedal that unbeknownst to me (and possibly the seller) was modded. I didn’t find out til I cracked it open two months or so later. Submitted a return claim to the seller that was immediately denied. Took it to Reverb and they advised me to look at what I get closer and sooner next time but also gave me a site credit for the entire cost of the pedal.

Overall I’ve had very good experiences with any customer service trouble I’ve had with Amazon, eBay, Reverb, PayPal, etc. I think the main key is being patient and polite. It’s rare I haven’t been taken care of and got my money back/satisfaction/etc. if I was just polite and patient with who ever I was dealing with. They don’t know you from Adam, don’t be a jerk and be willing to wait and you’d be surprised at what you end up getting in the end.

Shuster likes this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I have had good experiences with Reverb as well. That's a risk of online P2P commerce that has to be priced into the transactions. Online gear should be cheaper that Clist, not more expensive.

Reverb does have a new "as is" type of default box to click on transactions - when you go to sell an item you just tick a box at the bottom of your listing and it basically says no returns unless the item arrives in a condition other than described. How that gets determined is anyone's guess, but it does tilt the balance in favor of the seller. I know that I would not ever buy a nice guitar as-is without giving it a thorough looking over.

Shuster likes this.
  6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This thread and the dozens of others just like it might suggest otherwise.

7. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've bought a lot of gear through Reverb and had one less than great experience but the seller stepped up and made it right asap. Never needed Reverb's customer service. My only gripe is about people who don't leave feedback.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.