Reverb Rant!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Here's the story, I bought a pedal, a Mooer Black Truck to be exact. The pedal had problems as soon as I plugged it in, it had a real bad bleed over problem. I wrote the seller in Canada, and he told me, if it turns on and can be adjusted there is nothing wrong with it! Then went on about buyer remorse?? We went back and forth for a week, asked Reverb to step in, what a joke that is!!
    Finally, the seller writes, go ahead and send it back but you have to pay the return shipping. Once again, I write Reverb about this, they decide to send me a return shipping label on the house. I send the pedal back, it was delivered this Monday, I go to email the seller this morning and the seller has a note saying,, Can't take Messages at this time,, I look and find nothing for sale on his listings, and he had over 200 items for sale 2 weeks ago?? I can only guess, I wasn't the only one trying to send back bogus gear, and instead rolled up shop?? Hope Reverb comes thru, but don't except much, and probably out my $$$'s Sorry to burn up your ears,:(

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  2. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Did you buy with a credit card? If you did, that's your recourse.

3. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Or if you paid with paypal, you have several rights.

4. Shuster

Yes Sir, going to wait till Reverb gets back to me, then the credit union.

stratofortress likes this.
  5. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Reverb is legit in my experience, just make your case and be polite but firm.

Torren61, brbadg, ftbtx and 1 other person like this.
  6. Shuster

Here is what Reverb just wrote me,,,

No need for alarm here; this order is made via Reverb Payments, so we have flexibility/control over the payment here.

I will follow up with the seller about getting this refunded; thanks for following up!

Glad I didn't get the "deal with it yourself" I got the first couple of emails to them!

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I think they can 'force' the money back to you if needed. Reverb runs much better than ebay, so hopefully it'll all work out.

Torren61 and Shuster like this.
  8. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Like others above. I think they'll square you away themselves no matter what. Trouble with payment processors will raise their processing fees in the long run, probably by more than it would cost to just take care of things themselves.

Their shipping protection probably has enough built into it to cover all of their service fees, anyway. It's exorbitant.

Shuster likes this.
  9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Anytime a transaction is completed online there is a risk of trouble. It is important to be cool about it and realize that you don't have all the information to know exactly what is going on. Maybe the pedal was damaged in shipping so the seller believes you are one of those jerks (lots of them out there) that planned to try out the pedal and return it from the start to get a home demo for free. Again, there are a lot of them out there and so he may have had little interest in dealing with you. He may have also been the kind of seller that takes his listings down because he doesn't like dealing with online transactions after something like this happens....it can leave you jaded. I sold a $1200 amplifier last year and the buyer insisted on returning it 2 weeks later saying that the speaker blew. I had to deal with that guy calling and texting me several times per day as if it was my fault that he blew up a speaker after a couple of weeks. Believe me, I stopped selling online for months after that.

Reverb does a good job at resolving such simple matters. You will get your money back, just chalk it up to what can happen sometimes when buying online. For the most part, transactions go smoothly.

Shuster and MilwMark like this.
  10. Erebus

Erebus Tele-Meister

Another thing is make sure all your communication is via reverb messenger, as they can read these and act as a mediator if necessary. If you’re out of line or a jerk don’t expect much in the way of help.

Torren61, Shuster and Milspec like this.
  11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you want easy purchase and returns buy face to face in stores.

Unrealistic to expect seller and the platform not to ask questions IMO. And it takes time for things to ship back and forth, check them out, etc.

E5RSY, Shuster and Milspec like this.
  12. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Amen to that

13. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I bet Reverb comes through for you.

I have had a few successful purchases through Reverb and one problem one. A high end guitar arrived damaged via shipping and I notified Reverb and to Reverb’s and the store’s credit, they both acted very quickly and resolved the issue completely to my total satisfaction. I will buy from that store again and have bought through Reverb since.

Good luck

Torren61 and Shuster like this.
  14. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The one time I needed Reverb's help, they told me I had to go through PayPal not them. That was on an item that never shipped.

Shuster likes this.
  15. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Is it correct to assume that you paid through paypal? I could understand why they'd want you to do that if that's the case, as paypal takes the fee on the payment processing and thus would be on the hook for service related to it.

OttoCorrect likes this.
  16. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

The only issues I’ve had as both a buyer and a seller is shipping...most places/people nowadays have access to Reverb’s shipping generator. Problem is as soon as money changes hands, some will generate a tracking number thru USPS, UPS, whatever, but not actually get the purchased goods TO the shipper for up to 5 days.

Otherwise Reverb is a great outlet from my experiences

Shuster likes this.
  17. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Reverb/CME are great. I bought a '59 Melody Maker and found out a year later that it had a neck repair they didn't mention (couldn't see it without UV light). They sent me a shipping label and gave me a complete refund.

Shuster likes this.
  18. Shuster

Nah , it was my credit card this time, paypal wasn't an option with this seller, which kind of tells it's own story.

19. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Sorry, that comment was for raito.

I'd do what you did, always use the credit card. Even if it's through paypal, I still use the credit card instead of the balance, etc. You've always got a last line of defense then. Only ever had to go to the credit card company one time, and that was almost 15 years ago (someone didn't deliver a speaker, said they had shipped it several times and never did) - the credit card company took care of it in about two minutes.

dogmeat and Shuster like this.
  20. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

I'm glad this is the case in the US, here in Switzerland they can sometimes be less helpful than Reverb is being. I had a recent pedal horror story with a local store (one of the biggest in the country);

I bought a Catalinbread SFT pedal for 250$. I tried it in the store and it sounded glorious, I got it home, plugged it in and it sounded fine - after 30 mins, it suddenly lost all but the most minute amount of gain. It was almost a clean boost.

I went back to the store the next day, who told me that they had to send it to Catalinbread, and would not replace it as it was now a 'warranty repair' despite it being 24 hours only since I bought it.

Catalinbread 'lost' the pedal for 3 months. They finally returned it and said that there was no issue, and that each pedal 'sounded unique', mine just had less gain than the others, but they would do nothing.

The store, on hearing that Catalinbread wouldn't help, quoted the 'it's working fine' line from CB. We set out 10 of the same pedal, and while there was some difference, they all sounded amazing, apart from my now 'clean boost'. The store refused to budge.

In the end they offered to give me 100$ in part exchange claiming it was now 3 months old and not new!! In the end I had to take it, as the pedal was a paper weight. Happy with the Blues Driver I replaced it with, but it still stings - I was a very good customer at that point too...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.