1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reverb problem/question Rivera Clubster

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 1977CJ5, Jul 17, 2010.

1. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Hey. Hopefully someone can help me out.

I bought a used Rivera Clubster 25 Doce about 5 months ago. I brought it home, put it in my office and have played it everyday. It has worked flawlessly. Reverb is always on. I absolutely love this amp.

Last week a friend asked me over to Jam. I packed it up (first time it has left my home). I placed it face down in the back of my car (always heard this was the best way to transport an amp, not sure if this is good advice or not) anyway, it worked and sounded great at my friends home.

When I got home I put it back in my office. The next day when I played it, the reverb sounded terrible. Clanging, crashing, weird noises etc. I checked and swapped the tubes. No change. Not real sure it is a tube driven reverb anyway.

I pulled the reverb tank (Ac****ronics 8BB3C1B) out of the amp, and checked all the RCA connectors and inspected the springs/connections inside the tank. Everything looked good and new. I hooked up a different reverb tank from another amp, and it worked fine.

I put the original tank back in the amp, and it worked fine for a day. Then last night, same terrible noises. I took it out again, and unplugged all connections then re- assembled. It is working fine again, but I am thinking it will probably mess up again.

I feel like transporting the amp, caused something to loosen, but everything looks fine. The tank looks pretty simple and appears to be in good shape, but I don't know how they work.

Any suggestions?

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I would suggest that you solidify the mountings for the inductors in the tank....super glue at the points where the bobbins meet the mounting points works well. Also, check all connections. IF those are RCA connectors, there could be a problem with those. ONce you makes sure all of this is good to go and you still have this problem, the problem more than likelyis in the circuit....but I am goig to think the problem is a rather simple one having to do with connectiosn and/or the inductor mounts.

3. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the tip Wally.

Are you saying to put a small amount of glue in the hole in the bobbin? Where it slips over the magnetic bar? As they are, there is some movement. I guess this would alleviate any movement. Also, I am assuming the bobbin is the small coil of wire that rides on the bar. Since I'm not real familiar with reverb tank terminology, I want to make sure I am understanding what I am gluing. Thanks again!

4. Wally

The bobbins of these inductors--that's what I call them???-- fit over those laminates, yes. I don't believe there is any magnetic situation here. THese inductors both induce a current through the input end and in turn the other one 'reads' the current at the other end......that's my limited understanding, anyway. Solidify that mount somehow. When these are loose, they create odd sonics in the reverb. I don't know if this is the problem with your amp, but solidifying these mounts won't do anything but help. The 'clanging, crashing' description of the problem leads me to believe that the problemis in that tank.
    There isn't a loose reverb spring in there, is there? OR....did you take notice of the retaining springs in the corners? Are these firmly attached?
    FWIW, I transport an amplifier in the upright position if possible.

5. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Rivera seems to have some problems with their reverb units or wiring of them. The Chubster I borrowed for years was always going out. Hopefully with wally's tips you can get yous secure so it will be a non issue for ya down the road. Suh a pain in the butt. I wonder if others have had problems with Rivera reverb...? Good luck!

6. Wally

I have never had a problem with any Rivera reverb???? Feces occurum, though.

7. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Hey, thanks again. I just glued the bobbins. All the other springs are nice and tight, nothing loose. I'll give it a few hours to dry, then play it. I'll wait a few days till I give an update. I want to make sure it works for a few days with multiple shut downs/ons.

I'm with you on the tank. The noise sounds more mechanical that electronic. Also, the only thing the amp experienced was some car vibration. So I am hoping one of those bobbins loosened enough to cause some noise. We will see.

Thanks again for your help!

8. Ramblin Ray

Ramblin Ray Tele-Afflicted

The Quiana I used to have had an intermitent short in one of the rca plugs where it connected to the amp.

9. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Well. Not prepared to say it's fixed for sure, but it sure looks like it is. I played the amp last night, and have played it a few times today, with multiple shut downs and it has not shown any problems since I glued the bobbins. So, my fingers are crossed that it is fixed.

Just wondering, if this is the problem, it must be common. How many amps out there have bad sounding reverbs due to this small issue? And since most amps use tanks from the same manufacturer, it must happen quite a bit. I know I've had a couple of amps with weird sounding reverbs. One that comes to mind is a Randall Jaguar that I owned in the early 90's that reverb howled when I turned it past 3. It drove me crazy, I tried everything... except this glue trick. Wish I had it to see if the glue on the bobbin would fix it.

But my point, and I know the answer, MONEY. Why would the manufacturer not make a better or tighter contact with the bobbin to avoid movement? Or even just apply a small dab or glue like I did?

Also, is this a common mod that many of you do? Seems like a good thing to do to prevent this from happening.

Thanks again for the suggestion. I'll be back, if it messes up again.

10. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Well, in case anyone is interested.

It's been 1 week since I did the above fix. I have played the amp a lot this last week. I even intentionally shook it a few times. It appears to be fixed! No problems. This forum is great!

Thank you Wally for the suggestion!

11. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Just wanted to post another update, since it's been a couple of months. I encourage anyone with a noisy reverb to follow Wally's advice. The amp has worked great at home since I did the fix. I took it on the road for the first time since the fix this weekend. After being moved and bouncing around in my Jeep it still sounds great! Thanks again Wally!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.