1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reverb prices

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ndcaster, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Well spoken CP! Reverb, fleabay, CL, yard sales, pawn shops, and even GC can all be used as tools to get the "good deal". But, it takes time and determination to peruse all of these resources, and it should be done frequently. Some people just have a knack for this kind of activity.....buy low, sell high.

2. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's how I look at it. I once listed a guitar that's only "worth" the money to someone who appreciates what it is, and its price I'm sure is "laughable" to those who don't. My asking price is meant to keep the sale somewhere in the neighborhood where both the buyer and the seller appreciate the value of the guitar. I am more than willing to keep the guitar unless and until that happens.

I only heard from one person, long after the time I'd thought the ad would have expired. He seemed enthusiastic, he'd owned one before, and he made a tentative offer which I told him I'd accept. But then his "finances changed", and he seemed to be wondering, without saying so exactly, if I'd contact him outside Reverb and. . .c'mon. If I did want to screw Reverb out of their fee (and I don't), why would I want to pass those slimy proceeds to the buyer?

It's OK with me if Reverb is not seen as a great place to find "great deals". If I want someone to steal my guitar I'll leave it out on the porch.

3. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I'm new to Reverb, but have sold one item and bought one item both of which were good deals. I sold a 12 string Electric in a very easy and profitable transaction just recently. Currently waiting on delivery of a set of SD Quarter Pound pickups already wired and loaded into a pearloid pick guard with 5 way switch. All CTS, CRL and Switchcraft components. Would have cost me considerably more to purchase all of that separately myself, plus the added labor and likelihood of me messing up the installation somehow. :lol:

4. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

I picked up a Blues Jr on Reverb, best price I've ever seen for one and it worked fine. Its just like any other site. Some great deals, some overpriced stuff. Can't really complain about Reverb, its just the venue.

5. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

This.

I bought one guitar, sold one guitar and bought a couple of common pedals. They have all been good transactions. I'm wary of buying pedals off ebay since I got a dud (It was remedied however).

6. Treeface

Treeface Tele-Meister

I think there are pros who pounce on the good deals very quickly. I once signed on one evening and up popped a ~1960 musicmaster or duo-sonic at a *great* price, as the most recent listing. Decided to sleep on it and it was gone. Reverb once had a blog post where they made a sideways allusion to a large % of their sales being from high-volume flippers. I think you have to take the time to craft price alerts, pay close attention to them, and click quick, to beat those kinds of guys. Really only worth it if that's your day job.

I browse a lot but haven't used it much (2 or 3 sales, 2 or 3 purchases), but I've had success with "make an offer." Even where it's not explicitly an option you can always send a message. As always, it helps if you've got some support for the lower price and aren't just arbitrarily knocking 25% off the list. And I do agree with whoever said that reverb tends to draw more actual musicians who actually know what they're talking about. Not a lot of sales offering a squier affinity packaged with a solid state amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.