Reverb pedal to pair with tweed deluxe?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Heymikki, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Heymikki

Heymikki TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I’m researching reverb pedals to pair with my tweed deluxe. Based on YouTube videos, I’m looking at a boing spring reverb or the hall of fame mini. I don’t have the opportunity to try either in person unfortunately, can anybody weigh in on either of these pedals or something else I should consider? I play a lot of plays, classic country and play in a classic rock cover band. Playing all teles, one with Tex mex pickups and another with a twisted tele/nocaster. Thanks in advance!

2. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My guitar teacher uses a Flint with his tweeds and non-reverb amps (Harvard, two flavors of Bassman), and it sounds fantastic.

3. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Get the real thing - a Fender reverb unit, vintage or reissue. A pedal called "boing spring reverb" isn't really spring reverb.

4. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

The Strymon Flint is the best reverb I've ever used, and tremolo is always nice to have too.
    I always get reverb and tremolo in one pedal.
    Currently have the Keeley Verb o Trem which I love, I had the Fender TreVerb but I didn't like it

Although another I'd recommend is the Mr Black Deluxe Plus Plus. Lovely pedal and more affordable than the Strymon
    [​IMG]

rjtwangs, PigBoy and Blue Bill like this.
  5. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Flint is versatile, great-sounding, has a wonderful tremolo as well, expensive but worth it. Buy once cry once, as they say at the Mercedes dealer.

Mark617 and dogmeat like this.
  6. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

The Hall of Fame is a good pedal. TC Electronics is famous for its reverbs for a reason. If spring reverb is a big part of your sound you might want something more specialized, but if you're just looking for a little bounce or space, Hall of Fame is a great choice.

7. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

The Boss RV-6 has a nice Spring sound , plus a great Plate setting and even a Delay+ reverb mode.

bluesholyman and Archtops like this.
  8. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

MXR M300 is fantastic. So many sounds in a super simple set up. Three knobs control a vast array of reverb sounds.

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I just bought a Donner RevEcho. It's a delay and reverb in one small pedal. I have a lot of trouble with delay pedals but the various demos of this one sound very much what I want. Simple, effective and no stray noises.... fingers crossed.... we'll see.

The reverb side sounded pretty darn good. I've tried at least a half dozen others...
    They just went on sale from $60+ down to $39 free ship.
    I haven't got it yet though!

10. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Curious why you didn’t like the TreVerb, and/or what you liked better about the other units. I’ve had mine for over a year and I’m still really enjoying it. The bias tremolo is outstanding and if you like fender spring reverb, it’s got two flavors of it that pretty much nail the sound of a 60s fender amplifier or outboard unit.

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

After being dependent on the sproing sound of spring reverb for decades, I switched to analog delay set for a few repeats and a very low mix.
    Way better for both clean and dirty. Reverb with dirt kind of sucks.
    Bought a few reverb units to run into amps that included more useful dirt than most BF Fender amps, including the Fender stand alone reverb, digital reverb pedals, an Echoplex and a bunch of AD pedals.
    Very happy with a Maxon AD900 and glad to not have the foolish unnatural sproing sound stuck on all my notes.

cousinpaul and bluesholyman like this.
  12. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

I had so many problems with it, it drove me crazy.

Firstly I had problems with powering it, ended up buying new power supply but would get random high pitched squeals every now and then which followed no pattern what so ever.

Secondly I just didn't easily find a sound I liked, there was almost too many controls for my liking and tweaking them to get something I liked took me ages, spent more time pissing about with it than playing in the early days.

Tremolo was just okay, Opto was the most useable and the harmonic wasn't as good as other's I had used. Which is a shame because I love harmonic trem

I didn't like the finish either, the white writing on the brushed and anodised enclosure looks great in stock photos but in real life makes it very difficult to see when looking at the pedal from an angle, this was made even worse by the next point.........

Finally THE LED's, not just the ones on the knobs which thankfully you can turn off, but the other two that are brighter than the sun when turned on and the tremolo one always flashing when the board has power. No need, when a pedal is off I don't need an LED flashing at me.

It eventually died on me just as I replaced it with the Keeley and was ready to sell it to hopefully make some of the money back I'd spent. The day I put it on ebay it stopped working completely. Sods law.

I would hope mine was just a poor unit but I'll not be buying any more Fender pedals anytime soon I'm afraid.

13. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Carolina's (pick one - that's where I'll be) USA
    Strymon Big Sky here.

Texicaster likes this.
  14. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Wow, really sorry to hear about that experience! I have heard of some people having power supply issues but I just give it its own dedicated power. I don’t use anything but the bias tremolo and I found set it and forget it settings for both sides, so the lettering doesn’t bother me that much. You are absolutely right about the LEDs staying powered on even when the pedal is off. Highly irritating and a very bizarre design choice.

willholt92 likes this.
  15. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

A Strymon Flint will give you great reverb AND great tremolo.

rjtwangs likes this.
  16. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Biyang Babyboom RV-10 Tri Reverb does the job for me, quite well. It's versatile enough and, unless you get stupid with the controls, sounds authentic to me. Around $65 USD.

Hall/Spring/Room, blend and time controls, A/B switch which toggles between a brighter, splashier modulation and decay, to a darker, more natural modulation and decay. Ergo: 6 types of reverb. Analog circuit. True bypass. Up to 1 second delay. Sealed pots. Tight tolerance components. Metal case. German WIMA capacitors. MIC. Adapter: 9 VDC, 200 mA minimum, connector: negative tip, positive ground

17. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

If cost is a concern, the EH Holy Grail works well. The Nano version is OK too.

18. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

You would be better off with something like a Boss DD-3. Reverbs get lost quick through a 5E3 that is starting to break up. Where as a delay will work with the amp cranked. And a short to medium delay is what you hear most of the time in classic rock and country.

19. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

Catalinbread Topanga is great into the amp.

20. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

Strymon Flint

rjtwangs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.