Reverb Pedal Recommandations

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by guitarguy1964, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Tele-Meister

Zoom MS50.

Bought and sold a load of them before I stuck with this one 5 years ago.

2. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Meister

A few weeks back I went to Sam ash and guitar center with the intention of buying the polara. I tried the polara, caverns, boss, mxr,hall of fame and holy grail. They all sounded great. I walked out with the hall of fame 2. Has a great shimmer but the mash button and toneprint was the reason I bought the pedal. The spring setting isn't the best but I downloaded Kirk fletcher's spring setting and pete thorns spring setting, both sound really different but usable.

4pickupguy and stratoman1 like this.
  3. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I have the HOF2 as wel . I use the church setting more than anything. The shimmer is pretty interesting at times as wel . I've tried a few Toneprint settings and plan on trying mor . The deciding factor for me was that they are stereo

srvbluezz likes this.
  4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm loving my Mr Black Deluxe Plus. Close enough to a Twin or Deluxe Reverb, plus vibrato.

MrBlack.jpg

5. Stiles

Stiles Tele-Meister

A vote for Hall Of Fame2, cheap, expressive and sounds great.

4pickupguy and srvbluezz like this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

SURFY BEAR METAL \m/\m/

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  7. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

Try a Fender Marine Layer Reverb while you're shopping pedals. My son and I were both astonished. It sounds identical to my old Fender Tube Reverb unit.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Coming from a surf guitar background, I finally used the Boss FRV-1, but looking for a bit of milder reverb for gigging and still have spring reverb, I ended up with the SubDecay Super Spring Theory. It has a better spring reverb than the Boss plus it has a "Room" reverb that is awesome and is almost always on now. Bonus is the "trails" switch.:)

BTW, during my search for a new verb pedal in a head to head battle with the FRV-1, I also bought the Mr. Black Deluxe Plus that has a great spring verb and a Fender Bias tremolo. It is so good I kept it for my living room amp and jam session amp too as the only pedal with each amp.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Strymon Flint. Simply the best.

10. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

At the risk of sounding a bit post purchase justification-ish, I'm going to second taking a look at the Fender Marine Layer, and also their Tre-verb (tremolo + spring reverb, order switchable).

Admittedly, it seems a few more dollars gets you more options on other pedals, which is something to consider.

But, I like Fender's approach, which seems to be to provide a reasonable amount of useful & practical choices rather than a billion. I think you said this was for a gigging board. So, this aspect could be useful.

I have two of their pedals now and appreciate this 'ample but not too much' simplicity.

Pax/
    Dean

11. guitarguy1964

guitarguy1964 TDPRI Member

Thanks of all of the ideas! There are some great recommandations here. I'm going to get a change to try a few out tomorrow and I Will look into some of those you guys talked about that I'm not familiar with.

12. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

My bandmate uses the EHX Cathedral Deluxe... it's pretty amazing (though a bit pricey).

[​IMG]

13. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

Try the Digitech Polara maybe... It sounds great. [​IMG]

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

14. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

My favorite for digital spring is the CB Topanga, sounds pretty darn good. I was looking for a 1590A sized reverb pedal to pair with my Wangs 1 watter/Orange 8" cab, bought the Mosky to try (which is a clone of the Malekko Chicklet/Spring) and for the price it's pretty darn good too. I gave that to my son since he didn't have a reverb pedal and got a used Malekko Spring. The Mosky sounds the same. The EH Holy Grail spring is ok too.

I'm just started messing around with a Danelectro Spring King I got for cheap, it will be modded to control the extra slapback that Dano added, plus I can kick it for a spring crash :D Disadvantage is that it takes up way too much space.

15. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I thought hard about the reverb/delay in one pedal thing. Have not found one that's suitable in both departments. What does work for me, and takes up not as much space as two pedals, is this combination:

OneControl Prussian Blue reverb.
    Maxon AD-10 delay.

Both as good tonally in their own ways as anything I've found. The Prussian Blue is tiny. Sorta spring, sorta plate, not really either. It's my co-favorite reverb pedal, along with the CB topanga.

16. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

Last year I saw some excitement about the (then-new) Oceans 11 pedal; after Christmas, I also saw some disappointment. Any thoughts on this pedal now? Many good things were said about its spring reverb.

17. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I really like the Oceans 11 on my grab and go surfboard. Excellent quality reverbs - hall, spring and the occasional shimmer are my favorites, along with some nice delay and tremolo.

fullsizeoutput_1522.jpeg

cm3ohana, Paul in Colorado and dswo like this.
  18. Georg Figel

Georg Figel TDPRI Member

You might want to look into getting a EHX Oceans 11 reverb pedal. It's reasonably priced and does a convincing job at basically everything. It even has a delay reverb setting.

cm3ohana likes this.
  19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

This one is super cheap and does everything you could ask a reverb pedal to do and does it well

olefudd and Fearnot like this.
  20. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

I have a Marshall Reflector Reverb RF-1, which I'm very happy with.
    It took only minutes to achieve the same settings as the spring reverb in my Fender amp.
    It's very versatile & built like a tank.
    I bought it to replace a Mooer Skyverb, which I could not get a decent sound out of at all.
    The Skyverb is the only pedal, in 40 years, that I've sold within months of purchase (and I love Mooer pedals).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.