1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reverb pedal like Tom Bukovac's tube reverb?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Jan 15, 2021.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

At 35:30 in his Rig Rundown, Tom plays a nice melodic riff and you can hear the reverb sitting behind it. Its just a nice smooth sounding tube spring reverb, but you don't really hear any "sproing" in it - it is almost plate like.

Can anyone suggest a pedal that can do that? If you suggest one that is programmable or something (i.e. a HOF,) could you also suggest the name of the patch that would do that?

Much help appreciated.

Mike M likes this.
  2. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Sproing ...... I think we have a new word. Darn it, I wish I had created it:D

bluesholyman likes this.
  3. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

Maybe you call it 'drip' or 'splash' but 'sproing' is pretty common.
    47.000 hits in Google when combined with 'reverb'

That's what spring reverb generally sounds like and also the way it originally was intended to be.
    Only if you turn up the tone, the mix and especially the dwell, driving that input reverb coil real hard, you get the surfy type of spring reverb.

The type or brand of the pan matters a lot as well. Some are bright and splashy by nature, while others are more mellow and almost hall-like.

No pedal suggestion though. Pretty much any reverb pedal will do for such subtle reverb.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

The Seymour Duncan Silver Lake does a killer plate reverb. It should get a lot more attention than it does. All the algorithms sound great, the MIDI implementation is strong, and you can really make some cool sounds if you choose to mess with the dynamic controls.

bluesholyman likes this.
  5. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Just watched this yesterday and was fascinated as well. Somewhere in that video he talks about it, its an EBO I think

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/ebo-customs-e-verb.2120393/

Update, I think its this, yours for only $1650

http://www.ebocustoms.com/new-products/e-verb

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  6. bluesholyman

Mike M likes this.
  7. standup

standup TDPRI Member

Maybe something like a walrus fathom. Maybe a surfybear compact, which is an actual spring.

8. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

That IS nice!

9. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

I recently got an Eventide Space, which has a pretty excellent Spring algorithm. It can do the Fender amp/tank style reverb, but it is designed to also be used like one of the high-end studio rack spring units like Tom has in that video.

10. markesquire

Some examples of the spring algorithm in the Eventide Space (FYI- it includes tremolo):

Different guitars, including a Tele, with great tones:

Tasteful tele playing with an RC Booster:

Surfy:

11. markesquire

I should say, I also own a Boss RV6, which is really good too. I bought the Space because I’ve wanted one for a long time and reverb is my favorite effect, but I’m still evaluating whether to keep it. The Space has a bit higher sound quality and much more control over things (how many springs do you want, and how tight should they be?) and it’s essentially a professional rack in terms of quality, but it’s also $500, and I’m just a hobbyist, so I can’t really justify why I would ever need anything “better” than the (really actually great) Boss RV6. But man, the Space sounds great and you can really get lost in it!

12. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

Yes, Ebo it is, apparently.
    I watched a couple of other videos. Here's one whitout talking, backing tracks, etc.
    It's the rack mount version but the circuit is the same.

Quite interesting. Sounds huge. Makes me really wonder about the circuitry and the voicing choices he made, as well as the pan(s) he used.

Mike M likes this.
  13. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Is the Ebo NOT A SPRING UNIT? I guess I just assumed it was... but seeing this thread, then going back to their page, the word "spring" is not used anywhere on it.... interesting...

14. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

From their website:
    From reverb.com:
    https://reverb.com/item/33812756-us...unit-excellent-condition-sounds-amazing-everb
    upload_2021-1-19_13-49-59.png

From the way it looks and sounds I'm guessing a 9-type Mod pan.
    For example: https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/reverb-tank-mod-9ab3c1b-long-decay-3-spring

ruger9 likes this.
  15. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I use a Hall of Fame on the "spring onions" tone print to try to get a similar sound. It sounds quite good (surely not as good as the Ebo) and has its own advantages over the Ebo (cheap, replaceable, small, standard power).

16. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

There are a few real spring units in pedal form, but you can imagine the pedal size by the spring tanks. The Surfy Bear is awesome. Not valve, but FET based. A valve is just a FET with a pretty light anyway. Danelectro make the 'Spring King', which is something of a curate's egg. It does have some superb sounds in it, but it can frustrate in equal measures too. I've seen Youtube videos of a two part spring model, consisting a driver and swappable external tanks. Seems neat. Can't recall the name though.
    We're spoiled for choice in the digital and Belton Brick arena for reverbs. The Digitech models have some superb hall and plate modes ( but their spring leaves a lot to be desired ). Even the low cost AliEbayTomGearFastBest specials house hidden gems.

17. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

Anasounds: https://anasounds.com/element-spring-reverb/
    [​IMG]

It's not a completely new idea.
    When the Surfy Bear kit was still available, some us also separated the circuit from the tank/pan.
    I did a double pan, long + short in a separate enclosure for example, with a switch to toggle between the two pans:
    [​IMG]

VintageSG and bluesholyman like this.
  18. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

The Anasounds is not good. It’s the worst spring pedal unit I’ve tried. Very noisy and tinny sounding.

19. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

The Trex Roomate v1 is what I’d recommend by far, from what your describing. The plate reverb tone is great and the tube adds a nice glassy tube tone. I think it’s the closest you’d get in pedal form. That and the Neunaber Wet are the best digital reverbs I’ve tried out of many and they tend to beat out the many spring pedal units I’ve tried. The Surfybear Compact seems like it would be a good contender as well.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    bluesholyman likes this.
  20. bluesholyman

So I ended up finding this at a local store for a great price. They have been harder and harder to come by, especially under $200.

I don't know that this sounds exactly like (or even close to) what Tom's verb above does, but I really liked what I heard and I think it will do just nicely...

5D5A265F-BFDF-4FF8-A871-353D169BC6C2.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.