1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reverb pedal and amp tone

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jbnaxx, Apr 3, 2021.

1. TeleJ717

TeleJ717 TDPRI Member

I’m sorry, but that Boss pedal sounds NOTHING like an actual Fender reverb unit. I’ve played through a few different ones. The Topanga comes the closest. I love Boss pedals, but that FRV1 sounds like a metallic fart.

DeepDangler likes this.
  2. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

That Boss FRV1 is meant to warm up a thin and stale amp that has no reverb. It’s not a bad pedal it’s just different. If you want a better reverb, the Boss RV5 and RV6 are excellent reverb units. The amount of tech in those digital pedals would’ve been studio rack reverbs in the 80s.

blowtorch likes this.
  3. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a Keeley trem o verb and it has great ‘drip’ if you want it. There is an internal switch for a plate setting as well, but I’ve never used it. I’ve considered the Omni verb for my second board because I like the trem o verb so much

41144 likes this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Pretty good sound!

I know there would be other applications I'd maybe use, but 'Spring' ( and adjusting the other parameters with it...) is where it would 'live'

blowtorch likes this.
  5. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

probably worth remembering that different doesn't mean better or worse. I had an FRV-1 and a Fender tube reverb RI -- and sold the outboard. Tired of hauling it around, and at the level I use it, especially at gigs, there wasn't much of a difference. Does that mean I have bad taste? I mean, probably.

But if you don't want the sound of a colored reverb, don't go the the El Pescadoro. It is brilliantly, gloriously colored, not transparent at all. It sounds great but it sounds a lot like itself. If I want transparent, the plate setting on the Flint is perfect. You don't even know it's on till you turn it off.

MilwMark likes this.
  6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I love mine.
    If my outboard tube reverb goes belly up or I can't use it for some other reason, the Biyang suits me fine.

Chimey1 and Chiogtr4x like this.
  7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Ahhhh, you're right.
    And the new ones are going for crazy money. Glad I got mine back when I did

8. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

The Biyang Tri-Reverb sounds good to me too. And, I like the stereo options it gives me. Especially, for ~$50 new.

It'll hold me over until I decide if I want to pay $150 shipped for a new Boss RV-6 or $139+$12 shipping used. :twisted:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  9. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

So, I’m really okay with the Boss FRV. It can get into the way-out-of hand spring territory very quickly. I just always turned it on and played. It actually has a tone knob????
    I suspect there is a bit of COSM Fender amp modeling mixed in there....... not a bad thing, I’m just thinking something different and simple...... something other than spring only.

I’ve never owned any Keeley products but they seem to have a good rep , I like the feature set and the price was right.

Oops....... my finger slipped when I was looking at it on Sweetwater..... I guess I have one on the way.

northernguitar likes this.
  10. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I took a long look at the Topanga. It also has a tone knob and some pre amp type of deal going on...... very nice sounding, I’m sure, but not what I’m looking for right now. I have a Belle Epoch and it is a great pedal that also has that smooth preamp thing going. I want to hear my amp with reverb and no extras. I have nothing against the extras..... just not in this case.

This is actually a breakthrough..... I’m actually liking the sound of my amp and don’t want it changed.

northernguitar likes this.
  11. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

The UPS guy dropped of my new Keeley Omni Reverb today, so I'm checking back in for an initial review.

First and most important.... it doesn't affect the amp's tone and it's very quiet.
    It has a nice small footprint. (MXR size case)
    The Room setting is typical. (never has been my pick for reverb sound)
    The Spring setting is very good to my ears and there is a lot of adjustment to go from barely there to acid surf.
    The Plate setting is where the magic is. Very smooth and spacey sounding.... very wet. It's a nice alternative to the everyday spring sound.
    There's plenty of adjustment in every setting with a nice sweep on the pots.

Overall, there is a lot of nice sounds for a nice price and it feels solid. I think it punches above it's weight.

I'm happy.

12. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I don’t love a spring reverb. If real spring is your thing then nothing digital is better. I like plates and chambers, as well as some of the shoe gazer stuff like the black hole. In those cases, better processors allow for more natural sounding verbs with fewer artifacts. This FV-1 verbs sound far better than the digital verbs of yesteryear.

13. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange Tele-Meister

I have one and actually like the reverb more than the preamp.

14. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Lots of great reverbs out there. Surfybear is great, Strymon Flint is very good, Topanga and the Wampler Faux Reverb also, but I still like the depth of my Holy Grail on the hall setting, especially in the effects loop.

BorderRadio and northernguitar like this.
  15. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I had a Holy Grail before the FRV....... it’s one of only pedals that ever died on me.

16. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

I'm too late, but +1 on Surfybear. If you want real spring sound you have to go with real springs.

Another good one that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Source Audio True Spring. It has a "secret" tremolo feature as well.

BorderRadio likes this.
  17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The reason I like the Surfy Bear and Topanga is because of the preamp. TBH ‘coloration’ is what reverb does. Seems like the general two reverb user camps lies between the realistic reverb fans that want it just hanging in the background, and ‘effects’ reverb that make it obvious it’s on and over the top. I personally like playing either dry or wet, not much room in between. Preamping the dry signal through is important to me for adding dirt up front, but A/Ding the whole signal is risky, better be super high quality with extra benefits for that :)

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  18. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I ended up ordering the MXR M300. Love the simplicity of it. And it has a lot of headroom for using distortion.

19. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Big lesson is to test and choose your speakers with the amp and guitar(s) alone. Build the foundation first.
    So much reverb; so little time.

20. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I totally agree.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.