Reverb is buzzing on my Bad Cat

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by McGlamRock, Aug 1, 2020.

1. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

My amp is a Bad Cat Trem Cat and like the title suggests... When I have the reverb all the way down, the buzz goes away. So I can play with a dry signal with out any issue. But as I turn the reverb up, the louder the buzz gets. I included a picture of the problem ;)
    Any suggestions, or links to old threads much appreciated.

286FF950-D6B3-46C7-8EB2-B3267208F50A.jpeg

2. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I have had multiple experiences with bad reverb tubes causing noise. I'd try a fresh tube, first of all.

DrPepper and McGlamRock like this.
  3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Try spritzing some contact cleaner in the in/out jacks of the tank and working the plugs around to clean any corrosion/tarnishing. If you don't have the contact cleaner, try just exercising the jacks. It only takes a minute, and it fixes reverb problems often enough to be worth trying.

McGlamRock and rangercaster like this.
  4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Just buy a new amp ...

Wobbles and Fretting out like this.
  5. McGlamRock

That's a good thought, I'm gonna buy some replacements later. Hopefully someone's open tomorrow.

rangercaster likes this.
  6. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Amazon

7. McGlamRock

That sounds so and easy and simple, I was sure there was NO WAY it was going to work. Don't have any contact cleaner here, but sure enough... just unplugging and plugging back in a few times did the trick.

Thanks Beyer160!

8. McGlamRock

Well, the humming reverb came back yesterday.

I had a rehearsal yesterday, and I brought the amp with me and it sounded fine. But today it's buzzing same as it was before (first time plugging it in since rehearsal). I tried moving the jacks in'n out again but that didn't fix it this time.

But the ground wire is really stuck in there good. I have to really pull hard to get it out and then push pretty hard to get it back in.

I took the amp out of the chassis to see if I can clean out the inputs a little better- and if there's any blockage. Didn't see anything obvious blocking the point of contact Bad Cat reverb inputs.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  9. McGlamRock

Well I spayed a little contact cleaner on the input areas. It's not really quick drying so I probably won't try and turn it on until tomorrow, or later tonight.

The only thing I noticed is that the ground wire is much harder to plug in than the red one. They're the same size so I'm not sure why that would be...

bad cat reverb wires.jpeg

10. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Even pulling the tube out and reinserting it could help.

11. McGlamRock

Tried taking the tube in n' out, sadly no luck there. I'm going to order a few replacements later today.

Overall, the buzz is definitely better than it was... Maybe a new tube will fix it

12. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

If playing with the jacks helped at all, it’s most likely a connection problem at the tank. It might be a bad cable, or bad solder joint at the connection inside the tank. Frustrating! Hang in there though, you’ll get it sorted out.

13. McGlamRock

Well I think I'm getting close to the issue.
    I moved the amp out 90 degrees out so I could get at it easier, and when I tested it the buzz was gone. I moved it back, turning it again about 90 degrees, and when I test it the buzz is back.
    I'm thinking this means there is an issue with a ground wire in the reverb tank somewhere

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.