Reverb GAS Addicts?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FredDairy, Mar 26, 2020 at 5:39 PM.

1. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Anyone else finding they are addicted to Reverb.com?

I know GAS is a real thing and I do find pleasure in the hunt for new gear.

But with some of the recent events I’ve been thinking do I just buy and swap too much gear as a hobby? I do it at work, at home, and on my phone with the app.

The saved search feature is dangerous on the app!

Looking at a future summer with no gigs and a basement full of guitars and amps has me wondering should I just unplug from it?

Anyone else thinking this or am I just being crazy?

idjster and tah1962 like this.
  2. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

Yep, I’m an addict. However, I’m currently very happy with all my gear. It took me many years to get here. The only problem is they keep coming out with new gear. It’s just a matter of time until I fall off the wagon again. :D

3. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Reverb temps me almost daily... so does Sweetwater... but I've managed to avoid any urge during this shutdown. instead I've been playing quite a bit using guitars that haven't had nearly enough playing time.

idjster and tah1962 like this.
  4. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I luckily still am getting paid and I’m seeing prices falling on Reverb the temptation is real!!

But I see what others are going through and money spent on amps and guitars doesn’t seem right when I have a 30 year mortgage!

Like you I’m really just playing a lot more for myself. I try not to let it get back in my head no summer gigs why keep chops up.

dented likes this.
  5. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange Tele-Meister

It does get hard ignoring all the E-mailed discounts from MF, GC, Prymaxe, etc.

I’ve been strong so far, but the power of GAS and toll of boredom during house arrest are real.

6. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

I already bought everything. Even things I dont like and may never use. GAS doesn't get to me anymore.
    For those less fortunate, a SD-1 and a DD-3 will get you 90% of the way there.
    If the amp doesn't sound right, turn it up, if the delay doesn't sound right, turn the delay down.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 7:59 PM
    idjster likes this.
  7. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have actually reached the point where I am looking to sell rather than buy. This all happened about 6 months ago when I realized that I have been using the same 3 guitars and 2 amps for months while the rest ot the stuff sat idle. I actually managed to sit down and decided that I need another cabinet, but don't need 3 amps and 2 guitars that don't see playing time. I hope to resolve that soon.

I think the GAS really just comes because of curiosity, but once you find your core gear, that curiosity ends.

(Except for speakers....that always tempts me as there are just so many that I do get curious)

8. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'm about at the same point---GAS'd out. I've tired of the hunt and certainly tired of the bidding process. I did just add two pedals that seem to round things out. About all I'd like at the moment is a looper, and there are a couple of particular guitars I'd bid on if the asking prices come down, but all in all I'm set for the foreseeable future.

9. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I'm past the GAS stage too. I have pretty much everything I'll ever need. That doesn't mean that I don't find myself tempted and consequently want something but I've gotten pretty good at asking if I need it. Having a good friend move on from his job as a salesperson in a music store has helped a lot too. :lol:

Milspec likes this.
  10. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Addicted.:D:D
    That said Men, most of what most us of have would still not add up to a pristine Pontiac GTO at a classic car show so...
    my conscience is clear.

FredDairy and 8trackmind like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.