Reverb for non-reverb amp

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by juxtapolice, Mar 20, 2015.

1. the embezzler

the embezzler Tele-Holic

+1

Their Chicklet is tiny and sounds way better than the Holy Grail. Really springy.

2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

the FRV-1 works fine for the little splash of reverb. rock-solid little pedal.

3. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

Wampler, Neunaber Wet, and Tone Candy all work well. Prior to that I used an Alesis Microverb Ii, which has some good settings. I'm finally moving mine along, if you're interested I'll send it on dirt cheap rather than donate it.

4. Gringo13

Gringo13 Tele-Holic

I have a T Rex Tonebug Reverb and dig it. I recently got an amp with onboard reverb, so I don't use it anymore. It can do convincing spring and hall reverb and it doesn't cost an arm and leg. Discontinued now, but they pop up pretty cheap online quite a bit.

5. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

Supernatural out-Fender springs my DeVille's onboard spring. Plus you've got an amazing plate, and some modulated verbs that nail, for instance, some Chris Issaic and Gilmour tones.

RV-7 is a great choice too, if you dont need/want modulation.

6. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

Topanga or Polara.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 The FRV-1 is the one I ended up with and I've been happy for many years now. It is a one trick pony though ... 60s spring reverb, but still not quite as good as the real thing, but no one listening to you is going to notice. It is buffered, which can be nice at the end of a pedal train where reverb is commonly located.

I've read some great reviews about the Catalinbread Topanga though.

8. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I have 2 of the best, Catalinbread Topanga & Subdecay Super Spring Theory. Check out the reverb pedal shootout in last months Premiere Guitar.

9. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I lucked into one of these at an 'ohwhatthehell' price and I love it. It's never leaving my board.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

None of the digital reverbs I've tried for guitar have been anything I wanted in my guitar sound, and AFAIK every non-spring reverb pedal is digital.

Analog delays have a wide range of personalities, some better for ambient reverb effects than others.
    Tapped ADs are even better, since they produce repeats at different intervals like a room with sound reflections from different locations.
    Some ADs just add a bump bump bump to the sound, and don't really get a reverby vibe as well as others.

I do keep a Holy Grail Nano around for violin, and the Fender Boss reverbs sound pretty good, but somehow they start to grate on my nerves in a way I can't explain, just not what I want my guitar to be served with.

11. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

I use a touch of delay and if wanted a touch of reverb using an older tech21 rvb...analogue works great

12. Ding Dong Daddy

Ding Dong Daddy TDPRI Member

You can get a *new* TC HOF for right at 100.00 (mine was 107.00 and that included free expedited shipping).

there are two Robben Ford tone prints that are absolutely killer. I don't say that cause I like Robben Ford, cause I'm not particularly a fan, but the guys got big ears, as his tone prints are so good it's stupid.

13. smithsonian

smithsonian Tele-Meister

EHX memory toy is perfect for slap back. When I had one I never really used it for delay, but more of a reverb effect.

14. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Catalinbread Topanga for Fender BF/SF Fender Reverb Sound

I love the reverb sound from my BF and SF Fender amps and the closest pedal that I have found to achieving that same tone is the Catalinbread Topanga. I've A/B'd this pedal with my vintage Fender "-Reverb" amps and it is so close and maybe even better sounding than the reverb in one of the amps. Recommended.

Attached Files:

15. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

Any issues with the effect cutting out when "lightly" playing thru this pedal?

16. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

Of course it's not as good as a real Fender Reverb unit. It is a very good digital facsimile, though. It is a one trick pony, it does spring reverb...simple.

I can't sing the praises of the FRV-1 enough. It does what it supposed to. It has a spongy feel to it, almost like the real thing. You just have to be careful about adding too much.

17. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Guess I don't exactly understand what your asking? The pedal still sounds good at lower volumes and I have not noticed any cutting out.

I have noticed that the pedal sounds better with my Mesa and Fender amps than with my two Marshalls.

18. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have the same unit. Sounds great. I bought because on the day I needed it, it was the only reverb the store had. I've not been tempted to try anything else. Does the job just great.

19. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

+1

It does what the Boss '63 is supposed to do but doesn't.

20. duceditor

duceditor Tele-Meister

I have one and like it a lot. BUT I play surf and really that is what this excels at. -That really 'boingy,' 'drippy,' spring reverb sound -- not the natural ambient type reverb we customarily hear these days

For anyone who has or can get a DigiTech iStomp -- a pedal that can become all sort of things depending on the app loaded onto it -- DigiTech has a pedal app called The Spring Tank Reverb that can get a sound pretty close to that of the FRV1 but with the added benifit of having a separate control for "boing." Turn it down and it sounds very much like the smoother spring reverb in the better Fender combos.

http://digitech.com/en-US/products/spring-tank-reverb

-don

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.