Reverb for a Non-Reverb user....

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by SlimGrady, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Vegetable Man

Vegetable Man Tele-Meister

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have this RevEcho and think it sounds great!

Nice compact multi-tasker.
    I use this on a few amps I own that have crappy Reverb (which I don't use now), plus I like access to some slapback delay, for rockabilly, and Country stuff we might play.

The knobs are small, but good value pedal!

schmee likes this.
  3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I have both and I would say the RV-6 is definitely an upgrade. The one place I prefer the RV-5 is in the Modulated mode. I wish Boss had kept that sound for the RV-6. But as far as the Plate, Spring, Hall and Room modes go the 6 is much better IMO. Plus with the RV-6 you get Shimmer and Delay+ reverb modes too.

clingin_on likes this.
  4. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I see your point...I picked it up to pair with a few Blackface amps which didn't have reverb. For home playing, the added unit is no different than a pedal in set-up / use. If playing out, okay, a pedal might keep things simpler.

Edgar Allan Presley likes this.
  5. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Holic

Another vote for the old Holy Grail.
    I've needed nothing else for the last 18 years. Be sure to use a long cord on the output to kill the electronic noise that some have.

Maguchi likes this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

My Mesa Boogie Express has a spring reverb that I’ve stopped using. I much prefer the Fender Mirror Image Delay with dotted eighth selected but the overall effect at a very low level. It gives me a feeling of space around notes without sacrificing clarity. High frequencies decay faster so the pedal minimizes the shrill without blunting attack. Notes also seem to have movement because of the subtle interference between the repeats and the incoming signal from the guitar.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  7. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Tele-Meister

Have you tried out a Plate reverb.

W.L.Weller and SlimGrady like this.
  8. dukewellington

dukewellington Tele-Meister

I’ve always used the spring in the amps I buy, never jumped down the reverb pedal rabbit hole. I convinced my other guitarist with an Egnater and no on board reverb to buy a JHS 3 Reverb pedal and he loves it. It sounds like a very large shower.

I tend to play a dirty rhythm tone, dime the reverb on my amp or at least come close, and we play pretty loud.

9. fiveightandten

fiveightandten TDPRI Member

The Flint is awesome for a few no-nonsense reverb sounds that just works. It sounds great and is easy to use. The Trem side of the pedal is awesome as well.

My only complaints about it:
    -I wish the pre-delay was adjustable. It's a bit long on the 80's digital delay model, and even on the plate I might take it down a notch in a perfect world.
    -The opto trem model is slightly choppy for my tastes, but I *love* the harmonic and bias trem.

Tele-beeb and SlimGrady like this.
  10. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

They're not that big or heavy. Lunch box size. About the same size as a mini amp head except lighter.

Edgar Allan Presley likes this.
  11. SlimGrady

SlimGrady TDPRI Member

Awe yes, let me clarify, while i like the sound of the spring reverb it has been more or less just a catalyst to cause me to want to try other reverb types. I am liking the sounds of plate, hall, and small room reverb's and I am thinking they may be able to something a little different than the standard spring tank.

12. SlimGrady

SlimGrady TDPRI Member

I have not had the chance to try one yet, but everything I have listened to I think plate is probably my favorite reverb sound.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  13. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Wow, you're right. I had no idea. Polaras are going for $150-$190 on Reverb.com.

It is a really great pedal, but for that kind of money I'd imagine there are lots of other options.

The DigiTech Obscura is around $130-$150 as well. Another great pedal (I have two). I'm pretty sure I paid less than $100 for each.

The pedal market is nuts.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    Maguchi and northernguitar like this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I meant mostly that because you mentioned Marshall which is commonly distorted, that putting reverb in front of a distorted amp is not generally a good use of reverb.
    In the middle of the circuit either in FX loop or in anps with built in reverb, it works better with dirt.

Even then though, I think adding reverb to dirty guitar has become gear masturbation and overdone.
    Many of us have repeated that in gear demo video's we hate it when dirty guitar is drenched in verb.

Then often the best use of reverb on guitar is in post production.
    Just to clarify my question: "Reverb for what exactly?"

With dirty guitar: best built in amp reverb or in loop.
    When applying reverb: best done sparingly.
    With digital reverb: often sounds great on the first date then tiresome to terrible later.

For many reasons, I've never bonded with any digital reverb and just don't use them.
    For the purposes reverb serves on guitar, I love a light mix of analog delay, much more than spring or any algorithm.

In a live mix, less or no reverb is often clearly better to a listener who is not playing guitar, while to the guitar player near their amp, more reverb often sounds fine and it's hard to know how it sounds in the room where it is not helpful and may even ruin your effective sound.
    In a recorded mix, it may be smarter to add verb in post production, rather than in the guitar signal, for the same reasons, we may listen to just the guitar and like it, not knowing it makes us less distinct in the mix.

Tim S and Maguchi like this.
  15. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Afflicted

I used a holy grail nano. Used it for years. Simple one knob just like a amp. Has 3 different reverb types.

Maguchi likes this.
  16. SlimGrady

SlimGrady TDPRI Member

Yes and I generally agree with you. I have always found when playing live, reverb seemed to just take away from my guitar cutting through. I have now not played out live in a couple years and that can probably be a big reason for my re-discovery of reverb. The signal is rather dry when playing at home. So all valid points you mention. I am using the Marshall much less these days and playing almost strictly through the Vox set to the most dynamic point, edge of breakup I guess. I will most certainly see if a reverb sounds good into the front before I do anything, seeing as my Vox doesn't have an effects loop.

W.L.Weller and telemnemonics like this.
  17. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

I have the Mr. Black Deluxe Plus for over five years. If you only want a great spring reverb in a pedal and have no need or care about Hall, Plate, Room, Chamber, etc. Mr. Black Deluxe Plus is the best in a pedal Spring Reverb I have ever had and I have had several over the years with all the reverbs you can imagine. I did buy a Flint last year just to see if the hype was true and couldn't send it back fast enough. The Mr. Black also includes an awesome tremolo in a very small box. The Deluxe Plus is permanent on my two boards. If you need or want more than spring reverb then it isn't for you. It is one of the few pedals I can actually sounds as good as Andy when I play it. :)

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  18. SlimGrady

SlimGrady TDPRI Member

Would you care to elaborate on what it was that you didn't like in the Flint that the Mr Black does better? I am curious if it's a tone or control thing.

19. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Plate is great! My favorite mode on the Boss RV-6 Reverb. I play Vox amps, BTW. :cool:

SlimGrady likes this.
  20. Gris

Gris Tele-Meister

I love my old Hermida Reverb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.