Reverb for a Non-Reverb user....

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by SlimGrady, Oct 26, 2021.

1. SlimGrady

SlimGrady TDPRI Member

So in my guitar playing journey, early on I was always a Les Paul into Marshall fan and have used almost exclusively Marshall's with no reverb. I have recently acquired a Vox AC15 2x12 with the long spring tank. Fast forward to say I am falling in love with using reverb again, it can add such a nice breath around the note.

Now I am on the lookout for a great reverb pedal to add to the stable, so far looking into the strymon options being a flint(I love tremolo, so that is a nice added bonus) and the bluesky. I feel as though a dedicated reverb pedal may be better, however the flint sounds so good.

But let me know what options you guys are into now, I am really open to anything at this point.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

If you've got the jingle, the Flint is a pretty great choice. Mine's a cold-dead-hands pedal. But if I'm being honest, that's just as much for the trem as for the reverb. Both sides sound great to me.

Not nearly as versatile but truly great-sounding and a lot cheaper: the Wampler Reflection on a Stupid Deal, $100. I use this one a lot when I don't want to break out the pedalboard.

And last but not least, in fact my current One Reverb To Rule Them All is the verb side of the El Pescadoro pedal, pure lo-fi magic. That and the dirt side together make a wonderful noise. But, you know, not for everybody.

SlimGrady likes this.
  3. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

The Catalinbread Topanga is definitely a strong contender. Also, check out the Keeley verb-o-trem as an option.

41144, Telecaster88, mad dog and 3 others like this.
  4. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Another Flint user here. Bought mine used on CL. Ain’t cheap, but built well, sounds great and lots of options.

SlimGrady likes this.
  5. SlimGrady

SlimGrady TDPRI Member

I must admit I am a sucker for Strymon pedals. I truly feel like I get my money's worth with them. However, if I can save some and get a great reverb I am certainly open to it.

DLReed likes this.
  6. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Holic

I like the wampler faux spring reverb pedal personally

mad dog likes this.
  7. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I just went on a reverb pedal hunt. Strymon looked great, but also daunting; so many controls!! I’m too much of a dum dum for that. I ended up with a MXR M300. So much packed into a very simple to use layout… only three knobs. It’s fantastic.

Tele-beeb and stormsedge like this.
  8. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

^^This^^ is a really nice, usable reverb. I have it on one board following a Fulltone Supa-Trem Jr tremolo...got the cosmetic blem direct from their website...very nice.

On my Danelectro board:eek:... I have a Danelectro Spring King following a Billionaire Filthy Rich tremolo. Less $$s all around here, but completely usable. Note the Spring King is BIG...and may be an acquired taste;).

Edit: I agree with @northernguitar...for me less knobs is more.

Happy Hunting!

northernguitar likes this.
  9. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

On the cheaper end of the scale, the EH Holy Grail is nice. Easy controls. Great sound.

10. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I love and currently use the Flint. It’s fantastic. Highly recommended.

If you’re on a budget the (discontinued) DigiTech Polara offers huge bang for the buck. I believe it uses Lexicon algorithms.

EDIT: Apparently the Polara isn't the bargain I'd assumed it was. Used ones are a bit pricey. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  11. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I've been mesmerized by some of the latest YouTube demos of the Hall Of Fame 2 pedals. All the stock reverb types but also an 'expression' feature that really sounds amazing

8MilesHi likes this.
  12. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Any of these will work great (put 'em in the effects loop if you got one). However my real favorite is a Fender 6G15, or even better a Victoria Reverberato for both reverb and tremelo.
    Reverb pedos.jpg Fender6G15.jpg VickyReverbato.jpg

dukewellington and glenlivet like this.
  13. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Hard to find and they hold their value on the used market. A former lead player had one and it was glorious. Another one with a lot under the hood.

DigiTech is a weird one. They have a few revered pedals (Whammy, Bad Monkey, this one) and they’re all discontinued.

D_Malone and telemnemonics like this.
  14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

On the much cheaper scale, the Donner RevEcho, goes on sale at $39. It's a Reverb and a Delay pedal. Built well. The Reverb side is actually better than the Echo side. I bought mine for the Delay/Echo. Both seem to hold up when playing with others and not become lost in the mix!
    [​IMG]

Chiogtr4x and StevesBoogie like this.
  15. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I'm a big fan of the Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master, which is a reverb and delay pedal. I use it with acoustic and electric guitars, steel guitar, baritone guitar, fiddle. Sounds great all around from very subtle to space echoes of the spheres.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  16. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

jule 004.jpg Some of those high end pedals come with a pretty steep price tag. If you look around, you can score an outboard reverb unit for not much more cash and end up with a far better result in my view.

I picked up this beautiful outboard unit built by Jule amps at a small music store a few years ago for $250.

Love this thing.....

NTC, Maguchi, telemnemonics and 2 others like this.
  17. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

That's a great looking unit! But seems like a big jump for the OP to go right from no reverb to carrying a whole separate amp for their reverb springs.

W.L.Weller and SlimGrady like this.
  18. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I’m very happy with my Boss RV-6 Reverb. I’m a big fan of Plate reverb and that mode on the Boss is great.

naveed211 and Telecaster88 like this.
  19. clingin_on

clingin_on Tele-Meister

I have an RV-5, which is adequate. Maybe the OP might investigate these options.

I don't have much experience with reverb pedals: I'm a pretty staunch mechanical user.

I don't see these Boss pedals mentioned much... do you think the RV-6 is a step-up, in terms of sound-quality, compared to the RV-5 (as opposed to features)?

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Reverb for what exactly?

You say you like Marshall’s without Reverb and now have a Vox with spring reverb, so I doubt you plan to use the pedal with the Vox?
    I bought the reissue Fender tube spring reverb 6g15 when it first came out in the ‘90s to use with my four input Marshall’s.
    Some things just don’t belong together.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.