1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reverb...finally

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TG, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Nothing wrong with pathfinders...even the little 10 watt ones..a few easy mods opens the sound right up...need to use a pedal in front though...no verb...all vox amps are great...sometimes you need to do a bit to them to unleash their potential..
    if they were killersounding out of the box no one would "upgrade" to a "better" amp...
    .use your pathfinder with pride 20121017_155513.jpg AC30VR...with a few mods...twin reverb loud and a gorgeous sounding amp...thats rig i used on M25
    run hot you can use the guitars vol to go from a nice clear clean jazzy whisper to a blizzard of nails without touching the amp...that makes it a gud un in my book...and its a very 3D sounding amp...same guitar on "all i want is me"

2. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Just depends on the circumstance, even totally dry guitar tones need a little reverb added after recording to fit in the final mix. Since I bought a Volante, I've been using various delay settings to create ambience rather than traditional amp or spring reverb. It's a different type of sound of course, but that's where I've been at these days.

Wulf likes this.
  3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Reverb, just a touch, on all the time, in the background, adds a bit of dimension.

Wulf and Drew617 like this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

there are 2 philosophies for the use of reverb
    1) the guitarist who wants to add abiance to their playing ( and often way too much)
    2) the audio engineer who wishes to create a sonic environment or similate a playing environment as in the case of convolution reverbs where the reflective patterns of a church or empty hall etc have been measured presicely and applied to another sound source.

Wulf likes this.
  5. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

I'm an always-on reverb guy. About 2.5 on a typical BF combo if I want it "on," and 1 if I want it "off." Spent a lot of time believing in the correctness of tube-driven springs but lately have come around to digital plate verbs which I think can do a better job of adding dimension without washing out the fundamental tones and textures that are played. Springs can sound a lot more "organic" but IME that's one of the first things to wash out in a mix.

For all the reverb chasing I see on the internet, I think speakers are too often ignored. Emphasis/deemphasis of different frequencies, and overall frequency range, make a huge difference to reverb. Most effects really, but especially reverb. The same 'verb setup can sound drastically different through two different speakers.

Wulf likes this.
  6. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Never liked delay but always have a little springline reverb dialled in

Wulf likes this.
  7. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Just picked up a Tone Master Deluxe REVERB (at least that's the way it sounds). The reverb in these amps has a REALLY long decay to prevent the dreaded digital reverb cutoff. At settings of higher than three, the wash of reverb is a bit much, but under three, it's nice and wet without being sopping. Fender has developed a firmware update that dials back the reverb decay a bit for those that want it, but I'll leave it as is for now.

Chiogtr4x and Wulf like this.
  8. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

9. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Gotta have me some 'verb.

Wulf likes this.
  10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'm doing good right now for amplifiers but I can definitely see getting one of these if I see one on Craigslist at a good reduced price I used to own a deluxe Reverb and I loved it I would be fine with the tone master

Wulf likes this.
  11. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

20201116_160128.jpg
    "it dont mean a thing if it aint got that spring"

12. Brillig

Brillig TDPRI Member

Reverb is best when other people say, "What, you had reverb on?"

13. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

To tell you the truth, i play with a lot of reverbs and a slapback delay with a clean sound. It replaces my distortion, because if you play sloppy, it sounds good anyway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.