1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Reverb...finally

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TG, Nov 24, 2020.

1. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Just sharing...

It might have something to do with my Asbergers and how my sensory system works, but I've always loathed reverb. In my experience with spring chambers and digital reverbs over the years it has simply been pointless non-musical noise that gets in the way of the actual musical note. Drummers who use cymbals a lot do the same imo. Just unnecessary noise.
    Surf music reverb was always fun, but that's mostly because of the association with the surf vibe.
    So over the years I would use a little bit of echo or delay instead and ignored it.

However, my main amp now is a Roland JC22. I've had it 6 months or so and just yesterday I touched the reverb knob for the first time and...
    ...magic.
    Unlike the toneless clanging I expected it's actually the note played drawn out almost like an echo, much like in a big hall or stairwell.
    So now it's always on at 3 or 4.

Seems you can teach old dogs new tricks afterall.

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

OH! MY!.......

Reverb can be wonderful! Such a nice natural sounding effect

Yes it can be too much but when done right Reverb can be heavenly!

It sounds like a Hall or stairwell because that is REVERB! And what a decent reverb should sound like

Reverb can give life to a super dry guitar, I almost always have reverb going even if very slight just gives a little extra color/texture

3. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I like reverb... I used to use a lot more delay but started gravitating to subtler reverb effects and since I got my AC15C1 with spring reverb it’s on almost all the time. Just gives things a little life without being too much...

Wulf and Fretting out like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Interesting!
    I love/hate reverb, too.
    I use it when I try to mimic a pedal steel, but generally dislike it for rhythm playing.
    I also hate it when playing “crunchy” rock.
    It just makes the chords sound washy and indistinct.
    Roland amp reverb is good, I greatly prefer it to Fender spring reverb.
    Glad yours is working out well!

TG and Wulf like this.
  5. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Meister

I always use a touch of reverb, always. To my ear it makes the difference between sound from a box and music filling a room in any size amp.

StevesBoogie, ce24, glenlivet and 2 others like this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

GEARMANNDUDE ( demos)
    " ...amp on no Reverb, because reverb SUCKS !"

As a lover of older R&R/R&B/Blues/Country/Surf ( and play all) I love varying degrees of Reverb as it's just a part of those sound- and mostly ( generally) Fender amps/Reverb

- but it does seem like some kind of delay and NOT Reverb OR just dry, is a big part of harder rocking music, which I like, but don't play

I'm just saying the music you play kind of dictates the effects used

Old man rant comment:

I notice that many times on amp demo videos, the person doing the demo ( who obviously is a shredder and does not play at least the stuff I play) will say ( and it is always the same!) :

" One of the coolest things about this amp, is that it has is Reverb- it has plate or studio Reverb ( selects THAT, plays something completely bad sounding), and has spring Reverb which is used in Blues and surf music!"

- then they crank the Reverb and play a terrible ungodly mess of what they think is surf or Blues, then tell you how great it sounds- does (I'MO) a real misrepresentation of a great effect

39martind18, Keep on Truckin and Wulf like this.
  7. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

a little, subtle reverb when i'm playing on my own makes my sound more interesting to me. if i'm playing with others it gets lost anyway so i generally don't bother.

Wulf likes this.
  8. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

Reverb addict here...big wet drippy surf reverb
    these days i use the Boss 63 pedal or a digitech multiverb...dont have the proper old tank anymore..but i can get what i need by combining one or the other...or both with amps reverb..(surf...i use a twin reverb) to get the sound im looking for
    I dont always use that though...but love even a hint...plate spring or hall...it does add life to an otherwise flat sound
    i also use 2 tap delay a lot..danelectro wasabi does that well enough
    i like a guitar to sound spacious and full

that track wouldnt work without verb in spades

nor would that one...Carlsbro Super stingray...driven to the point of devastation (SUZZ" channel dimed out...full amp verb.)..guitar and bass both through it...straight to amp..blizzard of nails!...took a week to put the windows back in and the slates back on the roof..and my ears are still ringing from it

lastly here..i aimed for an old sound..in mono...Rock n Roll...hall verb to make it sound like it was done live in a big room

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  9. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

JC amps are great and underplayed these days. Except for that terrible 'distortion' knob, that can remain at zero always.

Ain't nothing wrong with some non-musical noise in music. :p

Wulf likes this.
  10. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Moderation in all things- reverb among them!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  11. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

I like unnecessary noise !

Lawdawg and Wulf like this.
  12. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I thought this was about the website Reverb

bcorig and Wulf like this.
  13. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I always have my reverb on unless I am using a pedal that doesn't sound good with it - and I use pedals rarely now. Not all reverbs are created equal. I prefer long-spring, tube driven reverb. My reverb is usually set so that it is barely noticeable - usually 1-3 depending on the amp. To me, that is what a Fender amp sounds like. I cringed every time I played my Vibro Champ because it had no reverb. GREAT tremolo, but no verb. Pedals worked OK, but they didn't sound like Fender reverb. I settled on a FR-1000 (I couldn't afford a Fender tube reverb) that is used exclusively with my V-C. I am an addict...

Wulf likes this.
  14. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I guess I first turned a reverb dial up back in circa 1968 on my Super Reverb. I have yet to turn it off.

StevesBoogie, ce24 and Wulf like this.
  15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly!

Believe it or not, one of my main gig amps is the baby Vox Pathfinder, which has a teeny Spring Reverb unit built into the chassis ( hell of an amp!)

I keep the Reverb cranked all the time as it is not strong, very subtle. But if you turn it back/off you really can tell!

Wulf likes this.
  16. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

To the original OP - that's awesome. It's great when as a player you stumble upon something that adds to the enjoyment of playing, there is no doubt about that.

I simply cannot bring myself to play without at least some reverb. To my ears, it softens (rounds?) out the sound.

If I am noodling with some of the distortion sounds on my Mustang GTX then I never add any additional reverb. There are some fantastic distortion patches that don't require reverb.

But if I am playing some blues clean or a little dirty then it's a must for me.

I am drooling over the Tone King Gremlin as that's the dirty tone I crave but there is no built-in reverb. Woe is me!

Wulf likes this.
  17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Great tunes. Love simple surf, rock, and pub rockabilly. Simple = big complement btw.

The quality of the video is really interesting and cool in All I Want is Me. I don't have a film or photography vocabulary but I love the wash/graininess of the video in that one. Particularly the outside smoking shots near the beginning.

Very cool.

Wulf likes this.
  18. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

all done on old digital camera on that one...my mate huddled in back of car with tailgate open filming it...got some odd looks!...it was fun...theres a slightly different version of it on my mates site...should i show?...there is also a polished version of same tune...
    Thanks!!!...im glad you like!!!!...other videos were done by a friend with his own film company..he does ours for free...the surf one was one he did...he didnt know i used it...but was over the moon when he found out
    Skol
    Wulf

19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not all Reverb is created Equally.
    Me, I'm a Leo Fender Spring Reverb guy.

Your Roland has something that pleases your ears.
    Stick with it.
    YEP!!!

Wulf likes this.
  20. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

I’ve never really been a big fan of reverb either. I do like it in older stuff as an effect, mostly spring, or very short reverbs to give space to some elements of a track. I think live, often times the illusion of space doesn’t really work with the rest of the band or just sounds unnatural. And I think for a lot of players it’s just a crutch like delay for leads or more experimental stuff.

For more sustain-y stuff I generally just use a compressor. I like to emphasize sympathetic vibrations and have long tails in a way that it’s sort of masked or more like the sustain pedal on a piano rather than explicit with reverb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.