Reverb.com return/refund (shipping costs)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Switchy, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

I sold a $20 pedal on reverb. Shipped it super fast, and afterwards I get a message that the guy "doesn't want it anymore".

So I said he has to send it back.... which he finally did.

Besides the $20 do I have to refund him the postage cost too???? :(

*I checked Reverb, they only address the situation if the pedal was damaged or defective, which it isn't.

2. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Totally depends on your shop policies. If the piece was as described I wouldn’t repay his shipping fees either way.

nojazzhere and Steve Holt like this.
  3. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

tell him to go piss up a rope...

4. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Meister

Reverb's refund policies are stated. You can adjust them to how you want to handle things. Not everybody accepts returns. Every time I've seen it mentioned, a returning buyer pays shipping both ways, that is, refund of sales price only. There are policies on reverb and they have people who will answer your questions.

Torren61 likes this.
  5. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

Well technically, I don't have to offer the refund unless it is damaged or not as described, so I'm being nice as it is.

superbadj likes this.
  6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes, it depends on your stated policies. That said, it's normal even for a retail store to NOT refund any shipping charges.

I don't know why you'd offer returns on used pedals, especially not $20 ones.

I clearly state that I'm just a guy, not a shop, and that I don't offer returns on anything, not even for a day. The blanket exception is if I've misrepresented something, or if something happened in shipping. Then I'm all over it, and make it right. But it's pretty easy to make sure you represent the product correctly, with the ability to post 25 photos. And if a shipping issue, .... if I bought insurance, I may recoup a loss there. I may not buy it, though, for something like a pedal, which properly packed are fairly bulletproof.

Only stores offer returns...

nojazzhere and rze99 like this.
  7. moosie

Well then, why are you asking us? You can be even 'nicer', I guess, or not. Up to you, innit.

8. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You set up your "store" the way you want it. I always tick the option of "no returns accepted unless the item is not as described", or however it's worded. I make sure to describe the items I'm selling in great detail with a lot of pictures. I also make sure it works perfectly or I don't sell it.

I wouldn't accept the return of the pedal if there was nothing wrong with it but if I DID accept the return, he'd have to pay for the return shipping.

Fretting out and Switchy like this.
  9. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

You're right, I found the default polices. Buyer can return for refund LESS SHIPPING COSTS. :cool:

MARK SOLVED

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. moosie

Good. Just know that in future you can also override the default policy and make it whatever you feel comfortable with. I can't imagine Reverb's default is necessarily in the best interests of the small seller, so call me cynical...

I just noticed that the site doesn't allow custom overrides if you choose 'no returns' for both Used & Vintage, and New. I am not a dealer, so nothing I sell is brand new, even if it's nearly so. So, I say 1 day on new items (of which there are none), and no returns on used. Then, in the custom box I say:

"Unless explicitly stated otherwise, sales are final. I take care to accurately represent every item, in pictures and words. If you have questions, ask before buying. I'll be happy to provide more information or pictures.

In the unlikely event an item you receive is not as described, or if something bad happened during shipping, please contact me immediately. I'll make it right."

"Unless explicitly stated otherwise" protects me from Reverb changing their default policies without my knowledge, and it's easier than pasting the wording at the bottom of each listing. Though with the $1k+ items like guitars, I do exactly that.

The only problem I've had was a guy who didn't like the sound of the Gibson 175 I sold him, when played acoustically. Muddy bass, or something. More like buyer's remorse. Reverb stepped in, and resolved it, repeatedly telling me I wasn't on the hook, as I'd done everything correctly. I'm pretty sure, if I'd used a 'weaker' policy, Reverb would have been 'encouraging' me to accept the return. They asked repeatedly, but I kept saying no, and each time they told me I was within my rights to do so. But they did keep asking...

dswo and Switchy like this.
  11. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

The default policies are different for New vs Used items though, right? And there’s also this.

This item is sold As-Described
    This item is sold As-Described and cannot be returned unless it arrives in a condition different from how it was described or photographed. Items must be returned in original, as-shipped condition with all original packaging.

If you checked that box when you listed, you’re certainly under no obligation.

12. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

I thought I did, but it's not the end of the world. As long as he pays shipping, I'm somewhat satisfied.

whoanelly15 likes this.
  13. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

I make it clear that "buyer's remorse" is not a valid reason to return something. That being said, if it was an honest mistake in ordering, i.e., bought a 10" speaker when really a 12" speaker was required. I will work with those individuals as long as I don't end up losing money on allowing a return.

Switchy likes this.
  14. moosie

Curious, though, when they say that's not the reason, how do you prove it really is? That's why, IMO, more objective measures need be specified.

15. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

Moosie, Valid comment. If someone decides and so states that they don't like it I call that buyer's remorse. The second and third sentence of my posting allows for "objective measures" to be specified for consideration before I would make a final decision.

16. moosie

In the case of my 175, the buyer's comments ... he was tiptoeing around trying not to say he just didn't like it, claiming it was objectively noticeable. Reverb called him on it and asked that he take it to a local luthier. They may have offered to pay for that, I don't know. The tech couldn't find a darn thing wrong... So, I was off the hook, which was correct, but Reverb settled with the guy privately. I asked how much, and they wouldn't tell me. So, the weasel got what he wanted after all, a payout. I guess it's 'good business', but still didn't care to see him get one over on them. I fear they paid a lot - the guitar sold for $3k, and Reverb had offered me 15% of that for my trouble, plus all expenses, if I'd take it back. After I declined, did they offer the buyer less, same, or more, to go away? I'm thinking more, else why would they have tried me first... Heck, you could make a living on that kind of buyers remorse...

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

Understood.

18. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I think it’s ridiculous that you would be expected to lose money selling a $20 pedal. If you reimburse any shipping cost on top of the purchase price, you’re in the red.
    You’d have been money ahead to just keep the pedal.
    It sounds ridiculous as I started out saying to offer anything on a $20 pedal. I’d have been inclined to tell the buyer that he owned the pedal, if he didn’t like it, he could sell it.
    But I damn sure wouldn’t lose money on it.

moosie and trev333 like this.
  19. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn’t pay the postage but would accept return on a goodwill basis.

I’ve noticed that many international postage charges quoted are very high. I challenged a private seller about quoted figures for postage on one item and he said that they were “generated automatically” I assume by the Reverb site. I arranged my own postage at half the stated figure.

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They are generated automatically, but to some extent. You'll have one for your own country, one for the EU, one for the US, and one for the rest of the world.

Now, it may be cheaper for you to send to France than Bulgaria. You can indeed add rates for each country, but most sellers don't do that, and some seem to purposely have bogus high shipping charges, or mistakenly put things like guitar shipping for a pedal once in a while.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.