Reverb.com collects sales tax now

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Bummer!
    Something just cost me an extra 60 clams.

2. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

Not sure if related but just received this email from eBay about 10 minutes ago:

“As you may be aware, 11 new states have adopted Internet Sales Tax policies as of October 1, bringing the total to 34 states that now require the collection of sales tax. As the impact of this tax law becomes more apparent, PayPal and eBay are making changes that will make Internet Sales Tax collection less complex for buyers and for you.

Starting in November 2019, the way taxable transactions are processed and how taxes are collected for remittance will change, as follows:
    • In states where eBay is required to collect Internet Sales Tax from buyers, order totals sent for processing will reflect the gross order amount inclusive of tax.
    • Once settled, the tax amount will be automatically deducted for remittance to the applicable taxing authority.
    • A record of the sales tax portion of the order will be available on the Seller Hub Order details page and through our Download order report.
    Please note the applicable tax will continue to be paid by the buyer and you do not need to take any action.

We understand that the holiday selling season is nearly upon us and we are working to make this transition as smooth as possible.

Learn more about Internet Sales Tax in the eBay Seller Center. If you have questions about how Internet Sales Tax may affect you, we recommend consulting with your tax advisor, or our partners Avalara and TaxJar.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

Sincerely,
    eBay Team”

3. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

So is Ebay,,,

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  4. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Back to craigslist!

stantheman and Neener like this.
  5. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

Tax on what? Reverb's share?

The rest of it is a private sale. Are they gonna start collecting taxes on garage sales next?

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It has always amazed me that you can buy something, pay the tax, then eat it, throw it away, give it to a friend, use it until it's dead....or sell it to someone who has to pay tax on it AGAIN.
    I'm sure some collectible things have had sales tax paid on them 5...6...7 times.
    It's a racket.

7. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

The entire sale!

Reverb like Ebay and Etsy are the agent of the sale. I forget the wording but some political legalese made this a law some time back and just now most states are enforcing. AZ went live today. SO any purchase I make onine via an agent like above will gather taxes.....

It's like GC. If there was a GC in your state they've been collecting taxes on online sales. If not they didn't but now they will...

Eventually online sellers will have to lower prices as now you have incentive to buy local.

if your state doesn't collect sales tax it wont be charged....

As per garage sales... report the gain on IRS Form 4797 and carry it over to Schedule D and then to Form 1040. You'll pay a small amount in taxes. If you sold them at a loss, you cannot claim a business loss.....

:D

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

So the seller will now get a 1099 and have to file with their tax returns?

9. Texicaster

I don't think so. I sell on Etsy and Etsy collects and pays. SO only a bummer for the buyer.....

10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If you were to tell the overlords you were selling a used pedal to the next door neighbour they would expect a 10% cut of the deal over here. I think even inheritance from a dead parent or a parent gifting you a certain amount of money is liable for tax. Seems shocking in this day and age but so does needing to borrow money for a home after countless generations before us.

11. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

I get the GC stuff, and any other company that has a business location in a state. I don't like it but I get it.

But me selling something on ebay, reverb, etsy, etc is a private sale like a garage sale. When do they start collecting taxes on that?

12. Texicaster

Looks like you're in AZ and they started today! If you had your eye on that $4000 CS Tele at Wildwood....

Private sales have ALWAYS been subject to taxes! We just ignore that fact as near impossible to get busted but if you sell on CL you should be charging tax as you owe the great state of AZ ~6% of the take!

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

For some perspective, tax collection is something that online venues don't like to do and didn't want to do. The administrative overhead of collecting and remitting monthly to many states is a major, costly pain. IMO it will drive fees up to cover the cost of this overhead.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  14. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

There's no Sales Tax in New Hampshire.
    PLUS, Social Security is not taxed in New Hampshire either.
    New Hampshire's State Motto: LIVE FREE OR DIE....I think they mean it too.

If You wanna LIVE in America choose New Hampshire gentlemen.
    That is all.

muchxs, Texicaster and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  15. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm okay w/ paying tax on the online purchase - I saw that on two recent eBay purchases.
    I'll wonder if this means tax is taken FROM the sale price of item I sell, or if it's added (in the manner of auction premium - yes, I still have a tab open on the Walter Becker estate) because if's it's just added on, then it's keeping the playing field level for local builders and stores.
    CL - probably still the exception - and informal enough that it probably won't be regulated any more than garage sales.
    Peace - Deeve

16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Depends on the seller's tax policies. Always read them before buying.

This year, Chicago Music Exchange and Sweetwater have definitely started charging sales tax for out of state customers.

17. Neener

Neener Tele-Meister

Ha, they've taxed the Internet.

I didn't realize the internet was a "place", like paying State sales tax. So this must be Federal? Who's the Governor of the Internet? States have sales tax, States have governing bodies. I didn't know my wifi radio waves were United States Property? I didn't realize the U.S. owned the internet.

I love how the government can operate in the grey area and (most) people just accept it. I don't usually get all punk rock anymore, mostly because I'm too old, but f-that. I'm done with selling on eBay and Reverb.

I do a lot of selling/trading/buying on Craigslist as it is, and that's what I'm gonna keep doing. The government doesn't need anymore of our money. Tell Mr. Prez to sell some of his real estate.

Pigs

GoKart Mozart and muchxs like this.
  18. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Testify!

I figure the place to be is somewhere near Epping. That means you're near Lee USA Speedway, Star Speedway, New England Dragway and Sig's Pro Shop. All that and you're 15 miles from the beach. 17 minutes by car, 7 minutes on motorcycle.

:D

A trailer in Epping beats a 5000 sq. ft. beach house in Rye.

:cool:

stantheman likes this.
  19. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

This is all as a result of a US Supreme Court decision that states can collect sales taxes on internet sales even if the seller doesn't have a physical presence in the state.

Reverb and eBay are the equivalent of online stores, If you sell through them, and the buyer lives in a state that requires sales tax to be collected on the sale, then they have to add it to the sale price and charge the buyer.

Here in Minnesota, there's a small seller exception. The collection requirement isn’t triggered until an out-of-state seller’s sales in Minnesota total either 10 or more retail sales shipped to Minnesota totaling more than $100,000 during a period of 12 consecutive months, or 100 or more retail sales shipped to the state during a period of 12 consecutive months. There's a store in Wisconsin I've bought from that has to charge sales tax on its Reverb listings but they're small enough that if I buy direct from them, they don't have to charge me the tax.

I suspect most or all the other states have something similar.

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

So the IRS is going to have a major operation busting yard sales?

Neener likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.